Leon Russell - "Delta Lady" on Del Rack--ALBUM REVIEW

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

Leon Russell - "Delta Lady" on Del Rack

I just got this in the mail the other day. An interesting release. Here are some details:

Times in parentheses are what is listed - the first numbers are the actual times.
    1. Delta Lady: 4:18 (5:00)
    2. Beware Of Darkness 4:54 (5:40)
    3. Sweet Emily 3:23 (3:20)
    4. Ballad For A Soldier 5:40 (5:50)
    5. Ballad Of Mad Dogs And Englishmen 4:00
    6. Little Hideaway 4:03 (3:57)
    7. Dixie Lullaby 2:41 (3:00)
    8. She Belongs To Me 4:06 (4:00)
    9. Out In The Woods 3:35
    10. Leaving Whipporwhill 3:54 (4:04)

Ballad For A Soldier says it was recorded 4/3/71, but the "Gimme Shelter!" set says the recording date was 4/69. Perhaps the '71 date was a mixing date?

Delta Lady - The original mix has a slide guitar prominent (mostly fills - Clapton?), while it's mixed very low and to the side on the remix. The backing vocals are lower. There's no echo on Leon's voice. Harrison's Leslie'd guitar is higher in the mix and centered. The sound in general is a lot less "midrangy". The drums are mixed wider. The remix in general is more "naked", with less echo and less "wall of sound". It's more like you're listening to a playback in the studio than a final mix. On the fadeout, the original alternates between the backup singers doing "Delta Lady" (loud and split left and right) and Leon doing "...gonna scream and shout gonna tell all the world what I think about..." On the remix, both are heard each time around, overlapping each other. The remix goes on for an additional 13 or so seconds. It does start to fade, but ends cold before the fade out finishes.

Note by "original mix" I mean the mix on the Capitol CD. I'm not sure if that's the original LP mix or not, as per Steve's earlier comments.

Beware Of Darkness - The remix doesn't have the breathing in the intro. There's a bit less echo on Leon's voice. There's a guitar part not heard on the original, that "answers" Leon during the verses (played by Chris Stainton?). The remix continues for an additional 18 seconds or so - the song breaks down, and then there's some noodling.

Sweet Emily - Leon is singled-tracked all the way through on the original, but is double-tracked in a few places on the remix.

Ballad For A Soldier - A large section (1:20) near the end is edited out on the original mix. The song fades at the same point, however.

Ballad Of Mad Dogs And Englishmen - Leon solo, no orchestra.

Dixie Lullaby - The song starts with Stan Ross (yes, that Stan Ross) saying "Give me a title, Leon", followed by Leon saying "Dixie Lullaby" and Stan saying "Dixie Lullaby, take 1". There's an additional (non-slide) guitar not found on the original mix. There are a couple extra seconds on the end.

She Belongs To Me - Starts with Leon saying "Here we go. 2, 3..." Leon's piano is centered, instead of hard left as on the original mix. Instead of a fade out, the song comes to a full ending, 37 seconds later.

Of course, there are probably things I didn't mention, but that's a start. Interesting that the disc was pressed by Polygram. It's the classic "metal to the center" type of pressing...

All in all a very interesting release. One question for Steve - what prompted you to do this? Kind of an odd combination of tracks to remix...

Here's the cover:

Attached Files:

2. lukpac

Back tray:

Attached Files:

• back.gif
      back.gif
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
  3. lukpac

Inside insert:

Attached Files:

4. lukpac

Del Rack catalog:

Attached Files:

5. lukpac

Other side of the inside insert:

Attached Files:

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your Host Your Host

Luke,

Did you like it? You said it was "interesting", but....

7. lukpac

Yes, I do, actually. I like some of the original mixes better, but I also like the remixes for what they are. Certainly not something I'd get rid of.

Now I'd just like to get the lowdown on all the issues of the first album.

8. Steve Hoffman

Re: Leon Russell - "Delta Lady" on Del Rack

Since Luke said he liked it, I've gone back to give it a spin.

My thoughts, jumbled, but here they are:

I remixed ALL the Leon albums, every one. These certain mixes turned out the best, and I especially liked these songs. I mixed from the 16 track and 8 track tapes, directly on to DAT and analog at the same time. Some of the echo I added in mastering, some was on the multi-tracks, but in all cases I went easy on the compression and artifacts, not wanting to duplicate the original mixes in any way, but to create new and interesting variations.

Del Rack was DCC's cheapo "rack jobber" label, and instead of just rehashing the same old thing, I figured that Leon fans would be delighted with these different versions of some of their favorite songs, and the "correct" versions would still be in print as well. I think the Del Rack line sold for $7.98 or something back then. A good value, yes?

This was the last stuff I ever really "remixed" in toto. After this, it was just simple three-track stuff that needed a revamping. These Leon mixes (some of them) were 8 and 16 track, and I didn't have too much time to do them. In some cases, I was trying for nice long versions. In other cases I was trying to bring up in the mix some of the star players. In a few cases, I wanted to let Leon's fans hear a song or two in their original inceptions (like "Mad Dogs"), before the orchestra was overdubbed. In other words, for the audience to hear what Leon heard and liked in the studio.

Some of the other mixes on Leon I did ended up as bonus tracks on the DCC 24 Karat Gold CD of Leon's self-titled debut album, along with the Mick Jagger/Ringo/Wyman/Leon "Shine A Light", also recorded at the same time.

The idea was for the loyal Leon fan to get the most from their idol, instead of spending $$$ to buy the exact same mixes in different compilations.

9. lukpac

Now if I could just find a gold DCC copy of the first album...

10. Steve Hoffman

Somebody must have it for sale out there. It can't be rare.

Can it? :confused:

11. lukpac

One just went on eBay for $48 if that says anything. Other "for sale" copies I've seen have been upwards of $50.

12. Steve Hoffman

We couldn't give those away when it was in print.

I remember in the last days of the old DCC offices there were piles of them everywhere. I think they finally went in the dumpster. :(

13. lukpac

And you didn't think to send a copy to your buddy Luke...:cry:

14. Steve Hoffman

Heck, I wish I had been there to sweep them all in a box. I could have sent you one...

15. Angel

Angel New Member

So this DelRack Leon Russell disc, with Steve's mixes that put George Harrison, Ringo, Bill Wyman, etc. up front and personal, I can't actually buy this anywhere? It's not one of the Capitol Shelter discs?

I thought not. :mad: :(

:angel:

16. lukpac

Nope... Nor is the gold issue of the first album, for that matter.

FWIW, I love the disc, but I wouldn't really say hearing the "stars" more clearly is a "selling point". The only track George is on, for example, is the title track, and he's not really *that* much louder than on the regular mix. Clapton is mixed down quite a bit, though...:eek:

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, at least one person bought a copy...:D

18. Steve Hoffman

Attaboy!

We GAVE Leon 100 of them. Maybe he'll sell one cheap...

19. Evan

Evan Forum Resident

Luke,

I have an extra copy of the gold "Leon Russell". PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.