Lesser known Australian Musical Artists*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 11, 2018.

1. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Come on by the Atlantics is such a great great song
    Wet Taxis , Louis Tillet first band , another aussie great artist did a great version
    Wet Taxis 'C'mon'

2. waterface

waterface Forum Resident

I really got into all the Half -A -Cow label artists a few years back and Smudge, Sneeze and all the various Nic Dalton bands remain some of my faves still. I've communicated some via email with Nic Dalton and he is a really cool dude. In a perfect world Tom Morgan would be a superstar. I encourage you to check out the Half-A-Cow website if you're into power pop.

onlyacanvasky and dlemaudit like this.
  3. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Nic is a forum member , can't remember his alias , it has Sky Saxon of the Seeds as photo

4. Ricky Minerva

Ricky Minerva Forum Resident

Yes it's the country that made them...just look at the Young Family..George Young comes to Australia and forms The Easybeats.Angus and Malcolm come to Australia and form ACDC, Oldest brother Alexander stays behind in Great Britain and forms .....Grapefruit...

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  5. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

A bit of a guilty pleasure, 'Surfer Doll (Not GIRL as the video states)'. The young ones in the audience are really cheering him on.

Sir Robert Helpmann (he was The Childcatcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang):

6. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

God know why he decided to record it was the warbling Margaret McClaren 10 years later. This'll always be the definitive take with the great Del Juliana.

7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

A bit of a laugh, but it has a lot of early 60's Aussie artists in one video, including JOK, Barry Stanton, The DeKroo Brothers and Colin Cook. Not sure who the balding guy or the bloke with the Bobby Vee type comb-over are.

Mylene likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Barry Stanton's best single

goodiesguy likes this.
  10. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

The Black Diamonds - I Want, Need, Love You .

Would love an original 45 of this.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  11. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

The Allusions - Gypsy Woman

12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Speaking of Del Juliana, this is the first song I ever heard from her. Note the author...

goodiesguy likes this.
  13. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

Would love a box set re-ish of all those old Ugly Things LPs. I cherish the old single CD.

Have the Underground Lovers been mentioned? Was listening to the best-of comp "Wonderful Things" in the car this afternoon, not a duff track. They were always one of the smartest indie bands of the '90s.

Haven't heard their most recent album yet.

Mylene likes this.
  14. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Maybe the best Aussie track of all time? Although it claims to be stereo, this track is, an always has been, in Mono. But man, would it be even more of a knock out in Stereo!

15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Listening to The Blackeyed Susans this morning and find they not only don't have a thread going, but they've hardly ever had a mention on this board.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I've got the box set and most of the original albums. They played at the local primary school last year and blew the roof off the place.

17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Hans Poulsen - Boom Sha La La Lo

18. Rick Bartlett

one of the first recorded groups in Australia, Horrie Dargie Quartet:

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Their 10 inch album on Diaphon was the biggest selling album recorded in Australia up until Daddy Who.

OptimisticGoat and Rick Bartlett like this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

I or my father owns that one! actually sounds really good! I remember the cover very well.
    I have a couple 45's and E.P.s..... if memory recalls, they sound pretty thin.

OptimisticGoat and Mylene like this.
  21. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

It’s been said before ... but how do you come up with this stuff Mylene?

22. Rick Bartlett

Yeap, I didn't know that. That's a long time between drinks, I'm thinking Delltones, Bee Gees, Normie Rowe, Col Joye etc etc

Edit: I was referring to the best selling album between the Dargies and Daddy.

23. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Johnny O Keefe ... ? Did the Seekers record here? I know the Easybeats recorded in the UK but to be honest I was not born until 71 so what would I know?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Yes! The Seekers did record in Melbourne for W&G which was White & Gillespie or pun wise 'Woggle & Goggle' from
    approx. 62 to 65 ish? It's online somewhere.
    They then recorded for EMI in England, and did 'I'll never find another you'.

25. Rick Bartlett

I would have thought JOK or The Easybeats may have been great competitors of the highest album sales between
    the Dargies and Daddy Cool....
    I'm only speculating though...