Lesser Known Songs By Sinatra

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vincent Terranova, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Not in the Philly area,as Sid Mark played that multiple times on his Sinatra shows(sometimes back-to-back) when first released. I think it struck a personal nerve with Sid. A decade later,while going through a divorce,it struck me,too. I think the fact that it was chosen as a B-side that someone at Warners thought it deserved a little be more attention,too. Sinatra's last true hurrah at owning a song.

Bob J likes this.
  2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I don’t know how obscure this song is but “Why Try to Change Me Now” was a B-side to “The Birth of the Blues” (1952 with Percy Faith), one of his last Columbia singles. Frank re-recorded it for the No One Cares album.

Someone posted this on the Dylan Shadows thread and this song/performance just stopped me in my tracks.

3. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

Respectfully disagree. See Hey Look, No Crying; See also A Long Night, Monday Morning Quarterback, It's Sunday

Beaneydave likes this.
  4. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Bob, grew up near Cherry Hill in South Jersey. The sydicated show is nice, but I had a special fondness for the local shows...hearing Sid say "this portion of the show brought to you by P & S Ravioli..."
    Was part of my weekend routine until I moved to Columbus Ohio...still tune in when I'm back in Philly....nice memories! And Sid would often tell the story of how when Trilogy came out he would play "You & Me" back to back and then the Program Manager would tell him he couldn't...and he would play it again. Sid was (and still is) loyal to Mr. S.

Bob F and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

There's a Flaw in My Flue - leftover from the Close To You sessions with the Hollywood Strings. My understanding is that Frank had a bet with Sammy Cahn that he could sell any song, no matter how ridiculous, so Sammy came up with this, and of course, Frank nailed it. Can be heard on some CD versions of Close to You.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not exactly. According to Nancy Sinatra, her dad recorded the song to prove the Capitol executives weren't really listening and/or had no musical taste. The nonsense tune came from a 1949 "Flop Parade" feature on Bing Crosby's radio show. The Capitol suits approved it wholeheartedly, and Sinatra had to step in at the last minute to keep them from releasing his practical joke on the album.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    JimSav and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  7. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Luck Be a Lady
    Swingin' Down the Lane
    The Coffee Song

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Lesser known ? Well to the masses maybe.
    Bim Bam Baby c/w Azure-Te ( Paris Blues).
    That's one l like others include.....
    This Town
    We Three
    Drinking again
    Anytime ( I'll be there)
    Stargazer
    You Turned My World Around
    Walk Away
    All of Watertown
    All of A Man Alone
    Girls & Boys ( like you & I )
    It's Sunday , loads more but there's a start.

Peace and love✌

9. Holerbot6000

That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying. Close to You is a fascinating album to me. A real dark horse in the Capitol canon and unlike anything else Frank did. It's one of my all time favorites and I have always assumed the reason it isn't more popular is the awful, awful cover art which makes it look like a cheap bootleg you would find in an Amsterdam record store.

JimSav and Bob F like this.
  10. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

William Kennedy also told this story in his wonderful, wonderful liner notes accompanying the 1990 Reprise Collection. I'll use this opportunity to throw a shameless plug for him as a writer---he's quite wonderful, whether it's nonfiction O Albany, or fiction like Ironweed and Roscoe.

11. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

I've always liked the cover art---although it's not exactly conceptual. As for the relative lack of success for the album, I always figured that this was Sinatra's tribute to the "chamber" recordings he made in the mid-40s and a chance to work with the fantastic HSQ---but it was an approach that just wasn't commercial in 1957. I don't think it's any coincidence that the Jenkins albums and Come Fly With Me are the next, far more commercial products after that experimentation.

MMM likes this.
  12. Holerbot6000

Great writer. Thanks to Ironweed I will never hold a baby again...:yikes:

JimSav likes this.
  13. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

One of my favorite obscure Sinatra songs is "The Game is Over". It's a beautiful wistful ballad written by John Denver which he recorded in the early 70's. Unfortunately it was never released until the Reprise suitcase set. Would love to have a vinyl version including all of his rare and unreleased Reprise material but I won't hold my breath on that one. John Denver's version is great also if you are a fan of his music. BTW just love You and Me (We Wanted It All).

14. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I'm Not Afraid - Oct, 1970
    Forget To Remember - Aug, 1969

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Which they thought meant that the Capitol suits knew nothing about music....but which probably really meant that they knew not to say no to Frank.

16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

This is an an excellent, excellent song (written by Jack Lawrence) and the performance (Frank w/ Harry James and His Orchestra) is top notch! (By the way it’s a live recording.) Frank deploys a wonderfully expressive vibrato throughout, which really brings out the sad sentiment of the song. Listen to a subtle bending of “maybe” in “If this isn’t love then maybe I’m wrong”.

Already in 1939 THE VOICE is here!

17. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Fantastic song. Penned by Lee Hazlewood and used to great effect in the Nick Cage flick, "Matchstick Men."

18. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

"Michael and Peter" from Watertown. Holy crap. The lyrics, his delivery, that guitar lick that pops in every once in awhile...."but he's sooooo old"...chills every time. What a genius.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    jwoverho likes this.
  19. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

Hardly lesser known, though. It was even on his Greatest Hits album. It was also in Oceans Twelve or Thirteen or Sixty-Seven.

KeninDC likes this.
  20. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Just a few hours ago I was at a used furniture store and they had about 50 LP's in a pile for $2 each and I passed on Watertown. Maybe a mistake? It was at least VG+ but I'm not familiar with this era of Frank. It's only 8 miles down the road and they had a few sealed LP's too like Lou Rawls Christmas LP and a Nancy and Lee stereo in pretty nice shape so I'll stop back in a few days if Watertown is a great record.

21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

How Insensitive- from Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim. The whole album is a gorgeous pairing of vocalist and composer.

22. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the benefit single (for the Foster Grandparents Program) "To Love a Child," a non-LP 45 from '81?

It's kind of silly, in the tradition of "High Hopes," since it also has him exchanging lines with a kid. But...that kid is Nikka Costa, Don Costa's daughter, who went on to have success as an indie singer. Not essential listening by any means, but pretty catchy.

JimSav likes this.
  23. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

And written by the great Joe Raposo. There used to be a video on youtube of CNN footage of Sinatra and Nancy Reagan singing that. Fantastically awkward.

24. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

I know it was a hit when it was released (#8, I believe), but I don't think 'Deep Night' gets the accolades it deserves. It's a great arrangement, sung impeccably and has my favorite Harry James playing of all.

JimSav likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

When The Sun Goes Down-early Columbia! fabulous!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.