Lethal Weapon - TV show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I assume it's going to come out he's harassing female castmates on set. Anyone else wouldn't have the power to get him fired.

2. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Sad news for the series. Crawford's portrayal on "Rectify" made him appear quite unlikable, but I thought he did well to turn that around on "Lethal Weapon".

3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

just found out he CC is gone for good from the show and they are going to recast ! man that might be the end of the show!

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I'd love to know how they're going to spin this one.

eddiel likes this.
  5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Just pull the plug

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I read a comment on the Variety website under this story and it appears there have been issues on other sets too. No idea how true that is as I've not heard any reports about other sets he's worked on. Could be that in the past his behaviour could fly under the radar or maybe not as bad but the seed was still there. It sounds to me like an anger management issue. I think he'll recover from this though. It could've been far worse for him if it was down to something like sexual harassment.

I assume the stories are true and that's a disappointment on a few levels. I really liked him in this role and the show was an enjoyable watch for me. I don't know how they are going to find someone else to play this character. Apparently, they've already been turned down by several actors they've already approached.

The chemistry will be key here. It's not good enough for them to be good at acting, if they don't have a chemistry with the rest of the cast, especially Wayans. However, now that they made his character a captain I have a feeling they'll be moving in a direction where Murtaugh isn't necessarily out on the road with Riggs all the time and Riggs will be partnered with other people.

I wonder too, if they'll just pretend like it's the same Riggs from S1 & 2 or if it'll be a different character with a different name that's like a Riggs.

Weirdly, before the news broke, I felt like the chemistry between the two of them was sort of off this season. But I could just be reading into things that aren't there.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If the show wasn't doing as well as it was for them they probably would've done just that. But that may still happen if they can't find someone to fill that role.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think they should replace him with Diana Riggs.

realkilroy and eddiel like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Heh. It’s Diana Rigg but still funny.

groundharp likes this.
  10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sad to hear this.

Loved his character on the show.

Seann was funny in a cameo on Super Troopers 2.

See how they spin this.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I am still going to watch it ! Crawford will probably never work again now!.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah not sure about this. Apparently he is playing a different character which is a good idea. The last ep of S02 ends quite nicely in terms of this change though with Riggs planning on moving back to Texas with his new family and what happened at the cemetery. They can play it like he just moved back.

13. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

For me, and I watched the show from when it first aired, Crawford wasn't especially likeable, but I had to admit he was good in the role. And as the show progressed through the first and second seasons, he kinda grew on me. I think he got a raw deal.

Scott222C and eddiel like this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I thought he did well in the role.

I think the two incidents reported so far are probably just two that stand out and reading between the lines of some articles it might be a pattern of behaviour sort of thing and they probably decided to do something about it now rather than have things escalate.

Obviously I don't really have details but considering how much attention these sorts of events get these days it would be stupid for someone not to keep they're temper in check.

It was kind of ironic that the first incident was down to him feeling not safe during a scene when the second incident happened because of the same issue only he wasn't the actor affected. You'd think that if you got so pissed off about not feeling safe that you were reprimanded for your behaviour you'd be Safety Guy #1 when it's your turn at the controls.

15. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

That sounds like something that might have happened.

I thought that Crawford and Hilarie Burton (who played Agent Palmer) had some really good chemistry on the show, and was sorry when she left the show. I wonder now if her departure was due to some issues behind the scenes, i.e. maybe they didn't have such good chemistry when the cameras were off.

I saw an interview with Jordana Brewster a while back, and she was asked if there might be a romance between her character and the Martin Riggs character. I thought this was a rather strange question considering that Martin Riggs was receiving psychiatric counseling from her character and a romance between them would be completely unprofessional (which would be on par for Riggs, but not for the doc). Brewster didn't dismiss the idea out of hand, and said that was an interesting idea, but that if something like that did develop, it wouldn't be for a while. But she didn't seem disgusted by the idea. Obviously, that won't happen now, not that I was hoping it would. I was hoping that Hilarie Burton would come back at some point, which could happen, I suppose. I do have concerns that Seann William Scott will turn the program into a clown show without the edge of comedy AND drama it used to have.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    tommy-thewho and eddiel like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Seems like the biggest issue was getting crossways with Damon Wayans. That killed it for Crawford.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The wildest thing about this show for my wife and I is how much Crawford resembles her old boyfriend of the late 'seventies and early 'eighties and that I worked with in the late 'seventies. Down to the identical 'stache. It strikes us every episode.

We can only hope they can keep the show similar. . . .

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Most of the articles I read did touch on him as well. Although they didn't dwell or dig deep they all seemed to indicate difficulties with him as well, although that was more about demands such as refusing to do table reads before the episode shoots.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes, when I first read the casting news it didn't fill me with confidence. There's always been a comedy element to the show so the basis for some comedy is there and I could see the temptation being too much for the producer to avoid.

I really like the show so I'll give it a chance but I'm not expecting to be a regular viewer in the long run.

groundharp and tommy-thewho like this.
  20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

21. Burton left the show because she was pregnant in real life and taking time off from acting.

groundharp likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My god, this is one of the messiest, most detailed "TV star fight" stories I've ever read. Absolutely unbelievable. I dunno how long the audio clip will stay up, but it's pretty graphic (albeit censored)...

‘Lethal Weapon’: Inside the On-Set Clashes That Nearly Killed the Fox Series (EXCLUSIVE)

I have worked with Damon Wayans before and he's a very smart, funny man who's a terrific actor with impeccable timing. But he's demanding and sometimes has a bit of a temper. Still does great work. Reading everything in the story, I totally get why Fox fired the other guy.

23. WayneC

WayneC Hopelessly addicted to vinyl

Its a shame. I thought the series was daft as hell but fast moving and enormous fun.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Oh wow that's a crazy read. I really liked the show and Crawford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.