Let's Agree, Illegal Downloads Suck - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

So "butt" is considered "inappropriate language"?

I never would have thought so based on some of the other things I've read on here over the years.

Sorry.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It would be great if someone here in the U.S. would offer up lossless redbook files, but no one will. I have a hunch that the record labels make deals with vendors that no one can sell them because the labels don't want to provide them.

My biggest regret is that I didn't buy more from the old Rhino store when it offered FLAC.

It's getting totally silly.

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have a friend that went "bonkers" when Napster and the other p2p sites started popping up. He was downloading everything he could until he finally got burned out on doing that.

About a year ago or so, I told him that I was back into buying vinyl. I turned him on to a couple of extra copies of stuff for free. As a result of that, he has been buying vinyl with a vengeance. I find that really funny that by doing that, I really created a monster.

overdrivethree and Peter Pyle like this.
  5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

It was just crude (but you were not the only one) and not a big deal. But when someone uses it in a sentence that starts with "shove it up your" it becomes a problem.

There's a lot of crap that happened in the last thread. Maybe I'll go through it and issue more warnings.

Laibach likes this.
  6. I don't know the context of this quote, but it made me think of my own downloading habits. So, what kind of thief am I? (honest question)

I've purchased many copies of Electric Ladyland over the years. Now, let's say there is an certain pressing that someone has done a needledrop on, but I don't want to pay $150 just to hear it. If I like it enough I might need it for my collection. If it sucks, no harm no foul...or is there?

Is that theft?

Or, rather, just two nights ago I found a needledrop of Neil Young's first album, the 1st pressing with the original mixes and mastering. I've purchased the CD and have it my collection, but it is the 1969 version. Well, I downloaded the 1st pressing needledrop. I mean, I could have paid some dude on eBay $250 for a copy, but no, I wanted to hear this thing first.

So, did I rip off anyone? Maybe the brick and mortar shop, somewhere, that might have a copy of it?

Hell, Time Fades Away. I would gladly purchase a CD of this if Neil would put it out. Instead I downloaded a copy of the HDCDs that leaked out.

Prince's 20Ten album. Only available in British newspapers...or from some person on eBay. I downloaded it quick.

So, what sort of thief am I? Honestly, I don't know. I'm asking. The lines get blurred.

alchemy, galileo, kanakaris and 5 others like this.
  7. Being, I believe, the one who prompted you to speak of butts, I stand by my original usage as appropriate humourous comment in context and family-friendly. I mean, have you heard how kids talk? :)

8. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

The Pono Music store will be offering lossless CD and higher quality purchases imminently (general opening by end of 2014?)

melstapler and Grant like this.
  9. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

If I understood the original OP's intent I think he was talking about clear illegal downloading. As in the CD is available and is in print and someone chooses to download it for free instead. And that's certainly where I 100% agree that "illegal downloading" sucks. Pretty simple to me.

If you want it, go buy it. Helps the economy, helps the artist and it's just the right thing to do.

no.nine, wilejoe, Marvin and 7 others like this.
  10. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I have friends on both sides of the fence....a few when Limewire etc went online that literally downloaded thousands and thousands of songs..and then others who wouldn't know how to download a song and would be so morally bothered by stealing music if they ever did the guilt would eat them alive.

I am in the middle...I am just too jaded and have seen it so much of it online....... it is what it is...artists need to be more clever monetizing their work...I think downloaders should maybe develop a bit more of a conscious and realize it's not "big labels" you are sticking it too...it's a lot of very passionate musicians, store owners, people who want to work with bands and support them on the business end of things....and who in theory do something we all enjoy very much and love; which is music.

it's worth supporting I feel with my money...and I really enjoy buying things from all types of bands....small, medium, and large.

11. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Yeah, Pono is definitely the answer.

12. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

I loved the "I told you so" moments when my friends' computers ended up with viruses from Limewire. I warned them too.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

You're not thief at all, so don't even bother to think over what you have done.

jeffgt14, EVOLVIST and Abbey Road like this.
  14. Grant

I just hope they keep a huge variety and volume of titles. Someone needs to give iTunes some real competition. I don't want AAC. I have no use for it. I don't even use iTunes.

goodiesguy and Andrew Smith like this.
  15. Grant

Now, about the mastering...

16. Grant

Most of the illicit trading is on torrent, and many people are using VPN, Tor, and other things to cover up their tracks. Malware? Not a problem.

17. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

I download tons of FLAC files because the vinyl I purchase almost never includes high quality downloads. I'm not buying an album twice.

18. Nor do you have the time to needledrop all of your vinyl? I mean, I do a lot of my own needledrops, but I don't have time for all of that.

No, in most cases (but not all), I won't buy the same album twice, either. I'll admit to jumping on and getting a quick fix of Flac when I've already purchased the vinyl. Sometimes vice versa to compare.

Needless to say, I spend a lot of money on music.

turnersmemo likes this.
  19. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

as someone that's been in bands for years, and recently ramped up a new project with debut release this year and a bunch of local shows to start...here's how i see it:

nowadays, the music streams for free online. that's just how it is. yeah, you can set a price for people to download it or buy a CD. don't count on the $$$ rolling in. but it's simply got to be out where people can hear it. (and when you get on Spotify...well, that $0.02 check you *might* get is a soul-crushing gift that keeps on giving. you have to laugh, or else you'll cry.)

from there, folks come to see you live. when they want to buy a product with the music on it, they want the vinyl.

it's the old '80s/SST punk rock model coming back around. the recordings are the flyers for the gigs.

i know that's by no means the "mainstream," but i think the "mainstream" isn't any more relevant than whatever is happening in your local scene. and there are people who love going to see local bands.

KOWHeigel likes this.
  20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Although I've never illegally downloaded music or condoned such behavior, I've really tried to understand all perspectives of this ongoing debate. I have the utmost respect for all record companies big and small and as a longtime record collector, I believe each record company rightfully acts as a middle man and deserves to be paid for taking financial risks such as funding and overseeing the releases of albums and singles. Instead of arguing, debating and complaining, we should be focusing on possible solutions and the effects they would have on not only the industry, but the everyone here in America.

Ultimately, the only way illegal downloading can be effectively prevented is for the government to step in and regulate the internet. This would prevent illegal downloading altogether, but this could easily lead to abuse. What would stop the government from censoring other important information on other issues? Do the people of America have a right to hear and read about different perspectives on key issues affecting our nation and our world today? Everything Americans read on the internet would have to be censored and approved. Is it worth giving up our constitutional right to information to create a free asset for the record companies?

21. melstapler

It's amazing to think how well a small label such as SST did during the 1980s. They had wide distribution and their albums ended up all over the world, not just all over America. I remember when punk rock was very popular during the 1980s and they became one of the top labels of their kind. Think of all the new fans and people who came out to the live shows of those SST artists during that period. Ginn created not only a record label, but a family of fellow music lovers and artists directly tied to the music SST released.

22. melstapler

I've never understood the true purpose malware. Is malware intended to punish the person illegally downloading the music by infecting their computer? If so, is it justified? Do two wrongs make a right?

23. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I started serious collecting (with perhaps my definition being the 'strange' behaviour of buying a bit more than you ever get around to listening to) in about 1976. Having built up a sizable vinyl collection, I moved to CD (buying my first CD player on 26 May, 1983 - before they were released in the USA). At that time the dynamics of CDs was as good (or better) than vinyl.

As well as buying new music on CD, I upgraded my favourite vinyl to CD. Then, when remasters were released I knew that technology had advanced and so the remasters must be better. So I bought some stuff twice, and a few even three times. By 2006 I had over 3,000 CDs.

But around 2006 things were not working right. Better hi-fi equipment and yet all too often the magic wasn't happening. Thanks to this site (and other places) in 2006 I 'discovered' the loudness wars. The record companies had never told me what they were doing - it was all just 'on CD so better' or 'a new remaster and thus better'.

Illegal downloading has risk due to it being illegal, but fundamentally it is a moral problem. As I feel so totally swindled by this industry I don't feel that they have any claims to morality.

I've also learned how the industry can make millions from a band yet that band may have been better off working in a fast food store that year. Courtney Love gave a great talk on this once. So I don't believe that the industry is really the friend of the musician.

I'm still buying more music than I get to listen to. But I'm selective these days - I'll only buy recordings that sound great or OK. And if I want to hear something that I know sounds bad, I'll download.

dlank likes this.
  24. Grant

Malware is planted by bad people with too much time on their hands, or badly written by advertisers. That's all.

melstapler likes this.
  25. Grant

I honestly believe the engineers think they are giving us their best work, but I think they have either just lost perspective, or they safely do it to keep the client happy. It's probably some of both.

Poor mastering on today's CDs is a reason some downloaders use to download older CDs and needledrops, and no amount of mastering for iTunes can fix that.

goodiesguy and dartira like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.