Let's Rock Again! - Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros documentary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Dick Rude's Let's Rock Again is one of the best music documentaries I've seen in a long time. I caught the second showing this past Friday at the Calgary International Film Festival

This musical performances by Joe and the band were so good, so tight. I only wish I could have been to one of those shows. Up to this point I'd never heard any of their albums. Now I want to run out and buy them all including the CD singles which contain some live tracks (maybe they're from this documentary). Along with all this wonderful Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros music, in the the documentary the band plays a couple of Clash tunes including a sprited version of "London's Burning" and "Armagedeon Time".

Joe Strummer seems very relaxed, happy as the band is touring around and plugging the CD. Strummer is very kind to all the fans, chatting, signing autograhs. Joe mentions spending 3 and half hours in Toronto during the tour at an autograph session meeting fans and signing autographs. Strummer also tells a funny Captain Beefheart story (one of his heroes.)

Let’s Rock Again!

USA 2004
    Director Dick Rude
    Producers Dick Rude, Joe Strummer
    Director of Photography Dick Rude
    Editors Arnaud Gerardy, Dick Rude
    Music Joe Strummer
    Cast: Joe Strummer, Luke Bullen, Tymon Dogg, Dick Rude, Scott Shields, Martin Slattery, Simon Stafford

67 minutes

“It’s one thing for Justin Guarini to land on the ash heap of pop history, but when Joe Strummer, the Voice of a Movement, is standing outside a small radio station in southern New Jersey begging for airplay for his new CD, the suits truly have won.”

In rock n’ roll “the good die young” and so it was with Joe Strummer who, in December 2002 succumbed to a congenital heart condition at the age of 50. Lets Rock Again! begins with footage from Joe’s days as the voice of seminal punk rockers, The Clash, with a montage of performance and backstage footage before catching up with him again in 2001 while on the road with his new band the Mescaleros. Shot over 18 months of touring, the film captures the Mescaleros live and backstage, as well as conversations with Strummer. Directed by close friend Dick Rude, the film is his eulogy that celebrates Strummer’s life.

I hope this comes out on DVD. I'll be first in line to purchase a copy.

Attached Files:

2. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

wow! first I've heard of this. thanks for posting the info, miike! sure it hope it comes to dvd.

(if you're looking for recommendations: Streetcore ... then X-Ray Style ... then Global A-Go-Go. Earthquake Weather is out of print and has moments, but probably not worth what you'd end up paying for it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.