Lets talk about Talk Talk *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Den., Dec 15, 2015.

1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Must be the CD - the track 3-4 transition issue is a US vs UK CD issue.

JulesRules, JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

It was nice to see that mystery solved earlier in the thread! I always wondered about the reported differences. For those who missed it, the UK CD has tracks 3 and 4 (sides 1 and 2) segued together while the US CD keeps them separate like the vinyl release.

3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

CD.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m a big fan of Talk Talk and bought the Mark Hollis CD around Christmas time last year but never played it and have been waiting for the right time (i.e. late evening - it’s now midnight - when the wife, child & dog are all in bed and I’m awake enough to enjoy it!). Finally, I’m playing it now, on track 2 and it sounds amazing. Why did it take me so long to play this?!

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Come on, don't deprive the dog! :cool:

jay.dee likes this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It’s playing a bit louder than his hearing would appreciate.

JeffMo and tmtomh like this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

8. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

@Porkpie, Thanks for the links. Now you made me want to do a Talk Talk marathon today starting with Spirit of Eden. :)
    Talk Talk reminds me of The Smiths having a short but exceptional life.

Porkpie and tmtomh like this.
  9. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Heard bits of the Guy Garvey show while I was out and about in the car on Sunday...found the car pointing towards a local record shop that I knew had the 2016 EU vinyl of 'Laughing Stock' in stock. A beautiful album. (Happy with the pressing, a few pops and clicks aside even after a clean).

tmtomh likes this.
  10. doombandit

doombandit Member

Favourite band of 20th C... A tie between Television and Ratt...
    As for Talk Talk... every time I come back to them I start by watching the It's A Shame video which is a wonderful thing. Then the Montreaux live performance of It's My Life... The band are on fire while Hollis seems genuinely pained, skinny and fragile as he sings... Always moves me. More so than Spirit of Eden, which is obviously a bit special, but a different beast entirely...

11. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

That Mark Hollis record needs a real reissue by a label that cares

12. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Oh yes.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  13. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

I'm not a massive fan of Pitchfork but they do have an article about 'Spirit of Eden'. It is worth a read though.

Talk Talk: Spirit of Eden Album Review | Pitchfork

I like the nugget where '...Hollis and Friese-Greene were convinced Spirit of Eden was going to sell four million copies.'

I wonder if it has sold that figure since.

And this one we probably all half know from Mark Hollis...

“I like sound. And I also like silence. And, in some ways, I like silence more than I like sound.”

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  14. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I'm assuming 90% of anyone who's listened to that record in full probably did in the past two decades, and in the past decade streamed/downloaded the album - Talk Talk feels like the type of group who when you get into from the Internet, the copies you buy are probably used copies. I think a complete reissue of the entire catalog would be huge though, even a The Colour of Spring/Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock trilogy box.

St. Troy and JediJoker like this.
  15. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

That would be great, but Laughing Stock was released by a different label so I can't imagine it happening. That's why it wasn't remastered and reissued with the rest of the catalog a while back.

St. Troy and tmtomh like this.
  16. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

the only way that can ever happen is if they get hold of the original master tapes not the CD mastering like ba ba ding did @facepalm, but apparently Mark Hollis has refused both the Solo album and Laughing stock to be reissued in this way......

I sourced the original pressing a few months and managed to get a really good copy which wasn't cheap, but it sounds sublime in every way and of course it was mastered off the original tapes and sounds like it has NO compression or EQ, unlike the CD.

St. Troy likes this.
  17. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Like I said in my above post, for some reason Mark Hollis will not allow laughing stock and his solo album to be remastered, I take it that he has full control over those 2 records :(

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You could pretty much buy Spirit of Eden on CD in any HMV or Fopp. Laughing Stock was harder to find in the UK. On the other hand, the Laughing Stock CD was easy to find on CD in the US, but not Spirit of Eden. Neither sold big, probably just enough to keep them in print over the years. If it wasn't for the internet, they would be forgotten by most music fans and probably a record store employee secret.

19. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Forgot that it wasn't EMI

Even with all the tension Asides Besides was still fantastic whether or not Hollis wanted it out or not, really good.

And I still would guess Missing Pieces is just a reaction to that compilation.

St. Troy, JulesRules and Porkpie like this.
  20. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I’m not sure that is true. Spirit of Eden is always highly rated by the music magazines. Ever since I first bought it when it came out it has very regular coverage. Obviously with the internet, books or magazines there oils be no noise about it.... but that would be the same for everything. Regardless, it is a beautiful album. Laughingstock was rereleased on vinyl, a few years ago - a proper release, and that sounds great.

Porkpie likes this.
  21. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

the spirit reissue sounds really good, But put the laughing Stock reissue up against the original pressing and yea it's not all that good, probably because they don't have access to the mastertapes and it was probably mastered for vinyl off the CD.

Please note I have both the spirit and laughing stock original and reissue pressings and have A/B'd them

22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Looking forward to the new Paul Webb (aka: Rustin Man) album which is due in a couple of weeks. Lee Harris on drums too.

rustin man

St. Troy, jamesc, hamicle and 4 others like this.
  23. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Yes, the first record was excellent, so this should be a highlight of 2019!

24. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Has it got Beth Gibbons on it ?

25. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

I initially mis-read it as being a similar collaboration but actually it doesn't look like it is :(

Webb, who for the first time has written songs specifically for his own voice, turns out to be a gifted character actor, adopting various vocal roles across the songs. In ‘Vanishing Heart’, he is someone liberated from a loveless relationship: “At last I’ve found more warmth to feeling / It feels so good to be alive”.

Wild Frank likes this.