Lets talk about Talk Talk *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Den., Dec 15, 2015.

1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Are the original UK cds
    generally the prefered ?

Carlox likes this.
  2. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

They are indeed a great band, although I only realised the sheer magnitude of their greatness recently. For years I had them down as just another 80's band with a couple of hits and not much else. Hearing It's My Life constantly on the radio back in the day must have subconsciously coloured my opinion of them. Then I listened to Spirit Of Eden one night on the headphones, and it completely blew me away. What an incredible and original album. It still sounds so fresh, and hasn't dated one bit. Respect to the genius of Mark Hollis.

3. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

100% accurate. have you also heard Laughingstock? Genius.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

5. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Recently decorated one of my walls with this trio.

[​IMG]

6. It's Felix

nice. Is that a 12" bottom right? what are b sides? Did you know the artist for eden etc. sells the artwork, without the band name etc.

7. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Yeah, the "I Believe In You" on the bottom right is a 12".
    The b-sides are "John Cope", and a edit of "Eden".

Yep, James Marsh sells nice prints of his work. I've been eyeing those for years, but haven't yet bought any.

c-eling likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think Spirit of Eden was the pinnacle of art. Laughingstock went too far toward self-indultent artsy-fartsy

Gavinyl likes this.
  9. It's Felix

me neither, but I will get one, one day.

10. It's Felix

I don't enjoy it as much, but I wouldn't call it artsy, it is like a mash up of Jazz, hardcore thrash and ambient drone. Brilliant.

willy likes this.
  11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I lucked into both original cd's.

Eden I found in a Dutch thrift store in a pile of waterdamaged cd's. €1,-!!!
    I also got originals of Tears For Fears' The Hurting and Joe Jackson's Body And Soul from that pile.

Laughing Stock I think I got cheaply from either Ebay or Amazon, the original Verve cd, no less!!!

Besides those I found both original cd's of The Colour Of Spring and Natural History on a Dutch market in a bargain bin, 50 eurocents each.

Yard sales and thrifth stores are your friends!
    :shtiphat:

Front 242 Addict and Myrrhman like this.
  12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I have the 12":whistle:

I also have the Live in London CD:D

13. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Thanks for this. I assumed that they were DVD-A, and so never played them (don't have a compatible player). Just played TCoS now to confirm, and you're right on the money (though I prefer the vinyl better on my system).

tmtomh likes this.
  14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

He seems to have chosen for a reclusive lifestyle. Bless him if it gives him peace.
    I'm sure No Doubt's cover of It's My Life must've assured a healthy income. You've got to admire a band with an impeccable artistic integrity that probably quit at the exact right time, but I wish there was more in the can.

Paully and badsneakers like this.
  15. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

You can get the LP/DVD of Spirit of Eden for £18.99 from Amazon UK. The Colour of Spring set is only £12.99

tmtomh likes this.
  16. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

I wish they had done the others when they reissued these two in 2012, but this was it right? Do we know why they only did these two?

tmtomh likes this.
  17. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Probably because they already had hi-res transfers prepared for these two albums and the first two weren't "critically acclaimed". I think most of the Talk Talk gushing by music critics is revisionist history. Perhaps if they had said some nice things at the time Colour of Spring - Laughing Stock were released, we would have more Talk Talk albums to talk about.

18. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

This is my experience exactly. Even though I knew the name Talk Talk, I just discovered Spirit Of Eden last week and I was blown away.

Now I'm actively looking for original CDs of Spirit Of Eden, Laughing Stock, and the Mark Hollis solo album.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

This is a bit unfair, isn't it? From my perspective, the people discovering Talk Talk in recent years were in elementary school when Laughing Stock was released. Surely Pitchfork's writers were.

20. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Are the DVD's 5.1? Amazon doesn't make it clear.

21. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

No they're not.

24/96 high-res DVD-V

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I was complaining more about the lack of coverage at the time the albums were released but you make a good point that the critics doing the gushing today probably weren't doing the critiquing in 1991.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  23. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Ta for that!

24. It's Felix

Rubbish. They had great reviews at the time.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

It was the Beatles! How did you know????? :p

Zeppelin was my 2nd Fav, followed closely by Scorpions.

Followed by Floyd, Stones, Purple, Sabbath, Dio, Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, early Styx (not the Mr. Roboto s***), Badfinger, Motorhead, Saxon, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen.... I'm all over the place!!!!!! :doh:

Musicisthebest and Myrrhman like this.