Lets talk about Talk Talk *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Den., Dec 15, 2015.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Unless you are a lucky soul to find the rare Live 1986 release, you need the Natural History comp for the last two songs, great live versions of "Life's What You Make It" and an stunningly epic "Tomorrow's Started", both from the same London Hammersmith shows I believe.

jamesc and DJ LX like this.
  2. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

After The Flood is listed as an alternate version. It may be simply an edit that starts where the song picks up steam. The times for Myrrhman, New Grass & Ascension Day are so close that they could be the same versions. I haven't really done a side-by-side comparison. Someone else may know for sure.

From there, an additional 3 songs are different: Stump, 5:09 & Piano. They're all pretty rough (and Piano is barely a song as it is simply minimalist piano) but if you are being a completist...

But this is why I let it go, I found it to be expendable even though I tend to be a completist when it comes to releases by artists I am very fond of.

St. Troy likes this.
  3. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure they're the same versions. From what I've read, the songs were released as cd singles and Missing Pieces basically compiles them, and includes the piano track. So they're the exact versions that were on the singles which, except for After The Flood, are probably the album versions.

4. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

After The Flood is a different version than the regular album cut. Built from some of the same basic recordings but ending up surprisingly different.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Well, I've said it before ... Best Record Ever ... Spirit of Eden

The Arc Trilogy from Shearwater falls in that same soundscape for me, especially the first two albums in the trilogy. Records can't really rise to that same exalted place in modern times, but if they could ...

St. Troy, Baidur and NorthNY Mark like this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Are those LP's with DVD-A's still easily obtainable?

7. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

How important was producer Tim Friese-Greene to Talk Talk's albums? Has he done any albums of his own?

GodShifter likes this.
  8. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Listen to "I Don't Believe In You" from The Colour Of Spring, an absolutely epic track which will demonstrate why Talk Talk is a band of legendary talent.

9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Seems to me Amazon had one or both for a reasonable price, $23.99.

Say It Right likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

He was of course a big part of the Catherine Wheel sound on their debut Ferment, one of the parts in that great sonic puzzle that will always link them to Talk Talk for me, and then later on his own ...

CantonJester, bleachershane and DJ LX like this.
  11. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

I might have mentioned this somewhere on the forum, but I found my way to Talk Talk through the extraordainary self-titled record by their frontman Mark Hollis. I think I must have heard it in early 2010 and sort of worked backwards chronologically, abosrbing each album considerably before moving onto the next one: Spirit Of Eden > Laughing Stock > Colour Of Spring > It's My Life > Talk Talk. I lean heavily on those last two records - they're incredible achievements and I've rarely heard anything in that guise that comes close, save for Bark Psychosis' Hex and Hood's Cold House/Outside Closer.

Aside from those staggering arrangements (i.e. "Eden", "Desire", "Before The Flood", "New Grass"), Mark Hollis' voice is a thing of awesome beauty.

Davey likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think he's put out a couple. I think I own two of them under his own name. He's release several under the name Heligoland. They're ok.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He co-wrote all the songs and played the keyboards, so, very! -- I was extremely surprised to find out later that he was never actually an official member of the band (it wasn't really that clear on the sleeves).

14. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

The debut album, The Party's Over, is often overlooked. Gorgeous songs, particularly on the first side

15. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

The b-sides are an absolute must. Songs like "Without You", "Again a Game...Again" and "John Cope" are brilliant

16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

What he said.

I love this band.
    They're in my top three.
    Every one of their albums is great, in my opinion. No filler on any of them.
    Not one song.

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have a cd of his, "10 Sketches For Piano Trio." He played all the instruments and it's not a jazz album at all even though the format is a common one in jazz. It's interesting as an exercise I suppose but I find it moderately listenable.
    :shh: :) It could be partly due to the recording methodology but the songs are very tentative sounding too, like someone improvising who isn't particularly good at it. The ideas are rather simple and the execution is passable but he doesn't really excel here on any of the instruments (piano, bass, drums if it wasn't clear). It was a difficult thing to pull off, few would even bother trying. There are ten tracks and they are repeated in mono in the left channel only and again all ten tracks in mono in the right channel only. Weird idea and I have no idea why.
    For obsessive fans only I think.

DJ LX and JeffMo like this.
  18. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Agreed. Just a good pop record that shows the inner workings of this band's progression over time. Some beautiful melodies mixed with some upbeat songs.

RevUp64, Moshe and Beamish13 like this.
  19. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

From a songwriting perspective, I'm not sure.
    From a production and sonic presentation standpoint, I think that this particular tune made me realize how much of a stamp TFG left on the later Talk Talk stuff.
    Compare it to the structure and dynamics of Talk Talk's "Desire".

Bob J and DJ LX like this.
  20. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

21. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

And Hollis is a beautiful singer.

Moshe likes this.
  22. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

He truly is.

full moon likes this.
  23. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

St. Troy likes this.
  24. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

"John Cope" :love: Favourite melodica solo ever.

Moshe, jamesc and Beamish13 like this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Shame they didn't use the 2012 masters for these...