Let's talk about The Beach Boys - Holland

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The last truly ambitious album by the group. LOVE YOU was the next truly creative album, but it was mainly a Brian project.

The story behind the album is remarkable, but also indicative of some of the strange decisions made by the group over the years.

It’s a real group effort, but it needed more of Dennis to be a stronger effort. I miss his vocals on the album, although he contributed some strong material. Only With You is an overlooked gem.

2. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

I remember that around Boston, The Beach Boys were undergoing a critical and popular renaissance. Record stores were selling import copies of Live In London, and it was getting played on the radio too. So pretty much all of the tracks from the Holland album would get airplay on WVBF, especially during request blocks. I concur that this was (and is) a fine record, and the pinnacle of the Ricky & Blondie era of the group-- which admittedly only covers two studio records. I like that the 2-LP Analogue Productions release includes the rare studio version of "We Got Love" as a hidden bonus track!

3. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

It's their last classic album and final album as a contemporary band.

jonathan, Hall Cat, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  4. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Being a huge fan of the Beach Boys (Pet Sounds is my all-time favorite album), and especially the rarely-heard 1967-1973 period, I think this is their last great album, though it is a little slower-paced and quieter than the others. Lots of absolute gems, especially the 3-song "California Saga" segment, which is one of the great "zone-out at the end of the day" pieces of music. Also brilliant, Brian's single "Sail On Sailor", Carl's lovely, rocking "The Trader", and Blondie and Ricky's "Leaving This Town", which is as close to Prog as the Beach Boys probably ever got. The only letdowns (in my opinion) are the 2 Dennis songs (Steamboat and Only With You), which are not bad but not up to his usual standards either. His best songs were definitely on Sunflower. Still, their last really important album before they became a shameless nostalgia act (exception being "Beach Boys Love You" in 1977)

CCrider92 and greenoort like this.
  5. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

I loved it at the time and used to listen in a car driving around looking for waves
    Bought it on cd in the 90’s and rediscovered it all over again
    Still play it on a reasonably regular basis
    Is Calfornia Saga the first environmental song or at least at the beginning?
    I think of it as a companion piece to Surfs Up which has one of the best record covers I know of

6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Their last really good album and an excellent group effort.

Very solid songwriting contributions from all of the members and very good production work from (mainly) Carl.

CCrider92 and lonelysea like this.
  7. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I think it's their best, most consistently enjoyable album after leaving Capitol. The best tracks on Surf's Up are magical, but I only love about half of that album... Holland is solid from beginning to end.

Shawn, Humbuster, CCrider92 and 2 others like this.
  8. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I think it's one of their best, and the last great one.

CCrider92 likes this.
  9. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

There was a glimpse of that ecological stuff on Surf's Up : " Don't go near the water" which is not as brilliant as the trilogy but still good, just for the great chord on the word "water". This theme can be heard also on the elemental suite from the Smile album but not as explicitly said.
    Holland is a great listening pleasure from beginning to end and like good wine get better with time. I struggle a bit with the fairy tale because of the spoken words and prefer the musical suite on the gv box.
    I listen to the old caribou cd for the almost tubey sound but still haven't got the sacd. So I can't compare with the nadir (?).

CCrider92 likes this.
  10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

A great album in all respects despite little involvement from Brian. Ricky and Blondie gave them an added edge which they needed.

greenoort likes this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Holland is one of the best albums of their career, loaded with gems, and it has a beautiful vibe throughout. It would almost certainly make my Top 5. Although I have it on the double CD (which I mainly bought so I could get Carl and the Passions - So Tough), I still can't part with my white label promo vinyl copy complete with the 7-inch "Mt. Vernon" in its decorative sleeve.
    I consider Love You their last truly great album. Although most of the songs were written solely by Brian, it is still rich with vocal harmonies and some lead vocals by other group members.

yesstiles and greenoort like this.
  12. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Great album, continuing the American progressive vibes of Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Carl & The Passions : Mike Love and his brothers ruined them thereafter

The only good Beach Boy affiliated thing, on a parity, was Pacific Ocean Blue three years' later. Since then, with the odd exception, it's been a long decline, resuscitated by That's Why God Made The Radio.

oldsurferdude and CCrider92 like this.
  13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Excellent album, Brian's faitytale thing is garbage though.

14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Is that Daryl Dragon (before he was "The Captain") playing that killer synth solo on "Leavin' This Town?"

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love it. Its one of my favorite Beach Boys albums. I kinda wish they had continued in this direction rather than let Brian lead them astray with 15 Big Ones. LA Light Album is sort of a return to this kind of forward looking record but of course after that Dennis was gone and it was pretty much over.

starduster and trumpet sounds like this.
  16. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I'm not keen on it myself but it was the last time they really went for it in terms of ambition and creativity as many here have pointed out so I give it some points for that and give them credit for trying. Archival releases aside, it's the last Beach Boys album worth having.

CCrider92 likes this.
  17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I agree that Holland is one of their best, but they must not have had another one in them at the time since it would be 3 years before another studio album appeared. I always loved 15 Big Ones in all its quirkiness. It's one of their most fun and upbeat albums. LA Light Album has a bit of a downer vibe for me (although there are some very good songs on it).

18. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

You are correct and it wasn't Mike who was to blame.

The group tried to do some recording in 1974, but were very unhappy with the results.

Folknik likes this.
  19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I need to get this album, I love Surf's Up & this has been on my shopping list forever.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I personally love how "Don't Go Near The Water" cleverly subverts their image. After extolling the virtues of water at the end of their previous album, now the Beach Boys of all bands are telling us to stay away?

I can also hear some of the old Smile themes reverberating on Holland--the exploration of American history and the embrace nature on the "California Saga", the moral struggles with westward expansion on "Trader" (one of Carl's best contributions to their songbook--the closing "reason to live" coda is moving and cathartic). I seem to enjoy the gently impressionistic "Steamboat" more than most fans do--it aurally captures the sense of floating down the river on a lazy summer day. I love their use of analog synths throughout this album, creating rich new textures. And to cap it all off, Holland book-ended by two great Brian tracks (penned with a little help from his friends). I enjoy Love You as well in a different kind of way, but this was the last hurrah for the fruitful, more democratic era of the early 70s.

21. richardda

richardda Forum Resident

The last great Beach Boys album....

CCrider92 and gd0 like this.
  22. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I love "Holland". I think it is unique in the catalog given how tight and polished-sounding it is. They sometimes sound a little out of character as an awesome '70s rock band, with it sometimes not even really sounding like a "Beach Boys" record. The synth solo on "Leaving This Town" in particular caught me by surprise. I think we even had a whole thread once about people who were surprised to find out years later that "Sail On, Sailor" is a Beach Boys song.

But the best bands make records that are different from time to time, ones that are memorable in part because they are different. And as an awesome '70s rock band, they are...awesome.

23. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

It is very solid. It is one of many beach boys albums I like better than pet sounds.

CCrider92 and Shawn like this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best produced seventies album.

25. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Chemguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.