Let's Talk "Classic American Rock 'n' Roll" 1951 - 1963! Share Your Knowledge And Love of The Music.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jun 28, 2017.

1. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

The blowing the fuse series from bear family is great with fantastic booklet and 78 minutes per cd (one cd per year from 1945 to 1959)

2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Ha ha! A friend of mine saw Don Rickles live a couple of years ago and said he was still telling WWII jokes!

3. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Retro Hound and hodgo like this.
  4. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Doesn't surprise me. On the same trip we saw Rich Little. Legend, right? Gotta see him.

Guy was still doing Cary Grant, Nixon and John Wayne impressions. It was brutal.

Steve Litos and ShockControl like this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Doo Wop is foundational.

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Early Beach Boys fit into this.

From 1962.

Very basic.

Beach Boys - Lost and Found - Amazon.com Music

Per one reviewer:

"Before The Beach Boys signed with Capitol Records in 1962, they recorded for producer Hite Morgan, and this CD is a document of that formative period of the group. However, the group didn't record many songs for Morgan; thus, the only way to present a reasonable-length "collection" was by padding the disc considerably. So, DCC threw in a load of demo/early/alternate versions and a few clips of "studio chatter," thereby creating a 21-track CD from nine songs.

Like most other CDs, it has its good points and its not-so-good ones. The best thing about it is the sound quality --- the tracks were taken from the original masters, and not from poor-quality dubs, like the ones used on so many other compilations featuring Morgan-era material by the group.
    Only three of these recordings were originally released. The "master" takes of "Surfin'" and "Luau" were released as the group's first single --- after their name was changed to The Beach Boys from The Surfers. (By the way, before they were The Surfers, they were the Pendeltones.")

1. Luau [#]
    2. Surfin' [#]
    3. Surfin' [First Attempt][#][Take]
    4. Surfin' [Master Take]
    5. Luau [First Attempt][#][Take]
    6. Luau [Master Take]
    7. Barbie
    8. What Is a Young Girl Made Of [#]
    9. Surfin' Safari [unissued take][#]
    10. Surfin' Safari [Master Take]
    11. Studio Chatter
    12. Surfer Girl [Master]
    13. Judy [previously unissued take][#]
    14. Judy [Master Take]
    15. Beach Boys Stomp (A.K.A. Karate) [Long Version][#]
    16. Surfin' Safari [An Attempt at Overdubbing][#][Demo Version]
    17. Lavender [#][Demo Version]

hodgo likes this.
  7. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

Not the original version of the song but the version that those moptops stole

mlew, ODIrony, Carl LaFong and 5 others like this.
  8. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

You mean when singers actually sung with a band,and when they actually performed the songs live on stage, when women were the objects of affection and not disrespect,when most of the artist had voices...you mean that era???

9. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have that cd also which was mastered by our host Steve Hoffman.

DRM, hodgo and seed_drill like this.
  10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I remember watching Ken Burns' PBS 2000 doc miniseries Jazz.
    In it is a quote (I will paraphrase): "Jazz is the only truly American form of music".
    I have always felt that a very strong case can be made for Doo-wop.

With Canada Day approaching, I'd better not forget Toronto's very own The
    Diamonds, who covered Maurice Williams' song "Little Darlin'", which was
    first recorded by Williams' R&B group, The Gladiolas. one month before
    The Diamonds' hit version:

"Little Darlin'" - The Gladiolas 1955, with Mr. Williams on lead vocal.

Here is where The Diamonds played their first gig, singing in a Christmas minstrel show in
    1953(?):
    [​IMG]
    St. Thomas Aquinas Church, 640 Glenholme Ave. Toronto ON M6E 3G9.

Doo-wop took the not-so-simple concept for vocal harmonies in music and made it something,
    in most cases, memorable.

ODIrony, Steve Litos, A6mzero and 4 others like this.
  11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

A shout-out for Buddy Holly:

[Peggy Sue, on The Ed Sullivan Show]

12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

In Australia, "Classic American Rock 'n' Roll"was masterfully channeled by Johnny O'Keefe during these years. It was a global phenomena.

There were reports that some of the classic US rock and roll stars were afraid to follow O'Keef when he supported them on tour - his stagecraft was phenomenal (and perhaps not fully represented by the clip below).

O'Keefe, performing live his famous cover of the Isley Bros. "Shout", one of his signature tunes.

McLover, Steve Litos, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  13. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Wild Bill Moore - Rock And Roll 1948

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

While I agree the early Beatles often still played Rock and Roll, I'd say the Roll was buried by 1964. The British Invasion was certainly a game changer, and I'd pinpoint songs like "House of the Rising Sun", "For Your Love", "Hard Days Night" and "You Really Got Me" as the beginning of just rock, no roll music.

lc1995, A6mzero, Dave Hoos and 2 others like this.
  15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I suggest you put away the rose colored glasses. It was also the era when a pretty boy could be signed for being a pretty boy, given songs from the top songwriters of the day, and have the record spliced together from multiple takes, which they would then promote by lip synching it on American Bandstand and during personal appearances at school gymnasiums. There was a recent Goldmine interview with Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon about how much he hated the stupid miming at sock hops. (BTW, Freddie was a real rocker, not just one of the pretty boys).

lc1995, Zoot Marimba, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Johnny Kidd and the Pirates' Shaking All Over has to be the most rocking thing to come out of the UK prior to the Rolling Stones.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was walking by Maurice on stage at a festival back in the 1990s or early aughts, and he was still doing this.

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was fortunate enough to meet Dale Hawkins after a New Years performance in Asheville. He was as nice as could be.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

13 Women was a strange hit for Bill Haley, and a little bit risqué for him as well.

McLover and Steve Litos like this.
  21. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I still prefer that era of music to this one and it has nothing to do with rose colored glasses,it has to do with better singers all around.

McLover, Zoot Marimba, Jskoda and 3 others like this.
  22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

My rose-colored glasses are half full :)

23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

This clip says its Elvis in Ottawa, Canada, in 1957. A friend of mine remembered attending that show.

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the great contributions so far, keep em coming guys.

The idea behind this thread outside of my love of Rock 'n' Roll, is to create a fun, entertaining thread that will also educate us on the music we love. The forum is full of great threads like this but of late there are many frivillous "Fluff" threads, so I thought it was time to create a thread that is both fun and educational.

In my OP I should have in included this Wikipaedia link on the Origins of Rock 'n' Roll

Taken from that article is the following.......

Views on the first rock and roll record
    The identity of the first rock and roll record is one of the most enduring subjects of debate among rock historians.[92] Various recordings dating back to the 1940s and 1950s have been cited as the first rock and roll record.[93] A number of sources have considered the first to be "Rocket 88", which was recorded in 1951 by Ike Turner and his band, but credited to his saxophonist and the song's vocalist Jackie Brenston.[94] According to The Boston Globe's Joan Anderman, most rock historians cite it as the first,[95] while The New Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll and the website of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame said that it is "frequently cited" and "widely considered the first", respectively.[94] People in the music industry have also called it the first, among several others.[96] "Rocket 88" is cited for its forceful backbeat and unrefined, distorted electric guitar.[97] By contrast, writer and musician Michael Campbell wrote that, "from our perspective," it was not the first rock and roll record because it had a shuffle beat rather than the rock rhythm originally characteristic in Chuck Berry's and Little Richard's songs, although he added that "Rocket 88" had basic characteristics of rock music such as the emphasis on guitar and distortion.[98] Its characterization as a rock and roll or rhythm and blues song continues to be debated. Nigel Williamson questions whether it was really an R&B song "with an unusually fast, bottom-heavy eight-to-the bar boogie rhythm and a great lyric about cars, booze and women".[99]

The music historian Robert Palmer wrote that Goree Carter's earlier 1949 song "Rock Awhile" is a "much more appropriate candidate" than "the more frequently cited" "Rocket 88", primarily because of the presence of loud electric guitar work on the former song.[76] Palmer wrote that "Rocket 88" is credited for its raucous saxophone, boogie-woogie beat, fuzzy amplified guitar, and lyrics that celebrate the automobile.[100] However, he regards "Rock Awhile" to be a more appropriate candidate for the "first rock and roll record" title, because it was recorded two years earlier, and because of Carter's guitar work bearing a striking resemblance to Chuck Berry's later guitar work, while making use of an over-driven amplifier, along with the backing of boogie-based rhythms, and the appropriate title and lyrical subject matter.[76] Roger Wood and John Nova Lomax have also cited "Rock Awhile" as the first rock & roll record.[101][102] Others have taken the view that the first was Roy Brown's "Good Rocking Tonight", or Wynonie Harris' 1948 version; the song received greater exposure when Elvis Presley covered it in 1954.[103] Sister Rosetta Tharpe's 1944 song "Strange Things Happening Every Day" has also been viewed as among the first.[68]

Most rock historians have cited Bill Haley's 1953 song "Crazy Man, Crazy" as the first rock and roll record to reach the Billboard charts.[104] Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" released in 1954 was the first rock and roll record to achieve significant commercial success and was joined in 1955 by a number of other records that pioneered the genre.[93] Along with "Rock Around the Clock", several rock critics have also pointed to Presley's "That's All Right" from 1954 as a candidate for the first rock and roll record.[105]

The 1992 book What Was the First Rock'n'Roll Record by Jim Dawson and Steve Propes[48] discusses 50 contenders, from Illinois Jacquet's "Blues, Part 2" (1944) to Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel" (1956), without reaching a definitive conclusion. In their introduction, the authors claim that since the modern definition of rock 'n' roll was set by disc jockey Alan Freed's use of the term in his groundbreaking The Rock and Roll Show on New York's WINS in late 1954, as well as at his Rock and Roll Jubilee Balls at St. Nicholas Arena in January 1955, they chose to judge their candidates according to the music Freed spotlighted: R&B combos, black vocal groups, honking saxophonists, blues belters, and several white artists playing in the authentic R&B style (Bill Haley, Elvis Presley). The artists who appeared at Freed's earliest shows included orchestra leader Buddy Johnson, the Clovers, Fats Domino, Big Joe Turner, the Moonglows, Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters, and the Harptones. That, say Dawson and Propes, was the first music being called rock 'n' roll during that short time when the term caught on all over America. Because the honking tenor saxophone was the driving force at those shows and on many of the records Freed was playing, the authors began their list with a 1944 squealing and squawking live performance by Illinois Jacquet with Jazz at the Philharmonic in Los Angeles in mid-1944. That record, "Blues, Part 2," was released as Stinson 6024 and is still in print as a CD on the Verve label. Several notable jazz greats accompanied Jacquet on "Blues" including Paul Leslie and Slim Nadine (the monikers employed by Les Paul and Nat "King" Cole, respectively, in order to appear at the JATP concert incognito).

In 2004, Elvis Presley's "That's All Right Mama" and Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" both celebrated their 50th anniversaries. Rolling Stone felt that Presley's song was the first rock and roll recording.[106] At the time Presley recorded the song, Big Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle & Roll", later covered by Haley, was already at the top of the Billboard R&B charts.[107] The Guardian felt that while there were rock'n'roll records before Presley's, his recording was the moment when all the strands came together in "perfect embodiment".[108] Presley himself is quoted as saying: "A lot of people seem to think I started this business, but rock 'n' roll was here a long time before I came along."[109]

Also formative in the sound of rock and roll were Little Richard and Chuck Berry.[110] From the early 1950s,[111] Little Richard combined gospel with New Orleans R&B, heavy backbeat,[112] pounding piano and wailing vocals.[113] Ray Charles referred to Little Richard as being the artist that started a new kind of music, which was a funky style of rock'n'roll that he was performing onstage for a few years before appearing on record in 1955 as "Tutti Frutti."[114][115][116] Chuck Berry, with "Maybellene" (recorded on May 21, 1955, and which reached # 1 on the R&B chart and # 5 on the US pop chart), "Roll over Beethoven" (1956), "Rock and Roll Music" (1957) and "Johnny B. Goode" (1958), refined and developed the major elements that made rock and roll distinctive, focusing on teen life and introducing guitar intros and lead breaks that would be a major influence on subsequent rock music.[116] Early rock and roll used the twelve-bar blues chord progression and shared with boogie woogie the four beats (usually broken down into eight eighth-notes/quavers) to a bar. Rock and roll however has a greater emphasis on the backbeat than boogie woogie.[117] Bo Diddley's 1955 hit "Bo Diddley", with its B-side "I'm A Man", introduced a new beat and unique guitar style that inspired many artists without either side using the 12-bar pattern – they instead played variations on a single chord each.[118] His more insistent, driving rhythms, hard-edged electric guitar sound, African rhythms, and signature clave beat (a simple, five-accent rhythm), have remained cornerstones of rock and pop.[119][120][121]

Others point out that performers like Arthur Crudup and Fats Domino were recording blues songs as early as 1946 that are indistinguishable from later rock and roll, and that these blues songs were based on themes, chord changes, and rhythms dating back decades before that.[94][not in citation given] Wynonie Harris' 1947 cover of Roy Brown's "Good Rocking Tonight" is also a claimant for the title of first rock and roll record, as the popularity of this record led to many answer songs, mostly by black artists, with the same rocking beat, during the late 1940s and early 1950s.[2] Big Joe Turner's 1939 recording "Roll 'Em Pete" is close to 1950s rock and roll.[122] Sister Rosetta Tharpe was also recording shouting, stomping music in the 1930s and 1940s, such as "Strange Things Happening Every Day" (1944), that in some ways contained major elements of mid-1950s rock and roll.[68] Pushing the date back even earlier, blues researcher Gayle Dean Wardlow has stated that "Crazy About My Baby" by Blind Roosevelt Graves and his brother, recorded in 1929, "could be considered the first rock 'n' roll recording".[49]

By contrast, musician and writer Billy Vera argued that because rock and roll was "an evolutionary process", it would be foolish to name any single record as the first.[123] Writer Nick Tosches similarly felt that, "It is impossible to discern the first modern rock record, just as it is impossible to discern where blue becomes indigo in the spectrum."[5] Music writer Rob Bowman remarked that the long-debated question is useless and cannot be answered because "criteria vary depending upon who is making the selection."[124]

25. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I love what I always thought to be rock 'n' roll...

Gene Vincent - Be Bop A Lula
    Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes
    Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls Of Fire
    Buddy Holly - Rocking Around With Ollie Vee
    Elvis Presley - That's All Right
    Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
    Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
    Richard Penniman - Lucille

...but it fizzled out long before 1963