Let's talk earbuds and in-ear headphones *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by motionoftheocean, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have Yuin PK3 earbuds and like them...wish I'd gone for the PK2 though.

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have Grado GR10's which I really like.

3. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'll never buy an IEM again that doesn't have an over the ear cable. Every one I've tried without an over the ear cable has been way to microphonic.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  5. jerwardemy

jerwardemy Forum Resident

I'd recommend Shure SE215's. I just bought a pair a couple months ago and think they're great. They take a little getting used to putting them in if you're used to standard shaped IEM's, but they are very comfortable.
    Good bass, great sound quality, very good isolation, and detachable cables.

6. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Yeah it would be a pain if primarily worn while walking around. I mainly use them while sat on trains etc so no problem.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have a beard, so even sitting is bad.

Shiver likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have the HIFIMAN RE-600 Songbird High Performance In-Ear Monitor's. They were $400/pr. I bought them back in March when the price dropped to $199. Today, Amazon is selling them for $149.

These are incredibly small and lightweight compared to the rich, full sound with solid, not muddy bass that they produce. They remind me of a pair of Monster Turbines that I bought a few years back, but smaller and lighter weight.

At $149 for an IEM of this quality, I don't think that you can go wrong. If you wanted to take a step up from the 400's, this is the way to go.

TeflonScoundrel and LeeS like this.
  9. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I have used everything from Apple earbuds to no name buds to Shure 110 and Shure 215, to a few Sony models ranging in price from $40 to $165, to my all time favourite AKG 3003i (very expensive, but astoundingly good sound and very easy to plop in the ear quickly for a good fit), to Sennheiser IE 60, to several JH Audio IEMs that I didn't own but had extensive time testing at a Hifi show, to my latest favourites, the Noble 3.

The Noble is on sale right now for 20% off along with most of their models. It has a V shaped response, meaning a little more fun due to solid bass and treble. The over the ear cable is excellent. It keeps its memory of the correct shape for your ear, but the cable isn't micro phonic or heavy. Good bang for the buck.

Once you spend time with a resolving earphone, you can't go back to cheap models. They just aren't as musically satisfying.

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Still love my Ety ER4P after more than a decade.

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

If you like the sound of the Sennys, but just don't like the J-cord wire, look into the Creative EP-630's. Basically the same buds (excuse me...IEM's), but with a regular ol' V-cord (even lengths from left and right ears, meant to be worn out front).

I have the EP-630i's, which adds a mic on the right ear's cable for smartphone calls. I dig 'em.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Are they more "fun" sounding than the old e2c's? They were the first IEM I tried, and found them very lacking.

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have a feeling most sub $100 IEMs are going to have one limitation or another. Here's a pretty good resource http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

14. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Has anyone tried the Shure SE535?

Thanks

15. Lazmarr

Lazmarr Well-Known Member

I've been using these SONY MDR-EX650 for a while now and they sound wonderful. Surprisingly large soundstage, as well as sealing ambient noise from entering, even when in noisy areas, and preventing minimal, if any, sound from escaping.
    They are lightweight and not fatiguing in the slightest; I could listen to them for hours. The cables are braided and you get a storage pouch with it too.
    Well worth the money for the excellent sound quality :)

16. hughf4546

hughf4546 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.