Levelling Insights

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madlove, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Just got a little bubble level and checked some points on my Thorens TD-160 Super...

I would imagine everything should be level...and its not.

Headshell on record appears to be pretty good, and the plinth/plate seem OK but the platter, tonearm base are off.

What's the goal? Is this totally unacceptable and I should get into tweaking everything, which I imagine would be a tricky delicate operation.

I'm up for trying it but didn't want to go through with it until I checked in here for some feedback.

Everything is tracking great and sounding beautiful to me so that's something![​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Forum Resident

I think a bubble level is best for checking the headshell, but for the platter and other, larger areas I use a small torpedo level.

Jim in Houston, Kristofa and Madlove like this.
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Don't use the level on top of vinyl, it may be warped or bulged, you know where I'm going?

Put it directly on the platter, and use a small torpedo level, not the bubble.

Stillhouse, Kristofa and Madlove like this.
  4. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Glad someone asked this, I went on a level checking spree and can't figure out what to level hah

Madlove likes this.
  5. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Forum Resident

I start from the bottom and work my way up to the point where stylus meets record. Make sure your stand/shelf/etc. is level first. I don't worry about the floor because there'd be more work involved in making it level than the rest of the setup. Once your turntable's home base is level, check the plinth, platter, then headshell, adjusting each as needed.

Madlove likes this.
  6. Hessian

Hessian Active Member

I think that the main thing to get level is the platter, everything else really works off of this. I find a bubble level is easier to use than a torpedo but that is a personal preference.

drew phillips likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

The only issue with that advice is that it's a sprung table, so I think should be checked with the normal "playing" weight on the platter since that is probably how the suspension was adjusted. Just choose a flat record and it should be OK, and make sure the record weight/clamp is on if you use one. If you got it from Vinyl Nirvana, you may want to get his opinion too, since he's probably the one who last adjusted the suspension, if you haven't, and would have advice for best leveling practices for a 160. But optimally, you want the platter level when playing a record, and you want the plinth level too since it mounts the motor, and it's best to keep the motor and platter in the same plane for best performance (though the platter will move up and down some due to environmental vibrations and other stresses). The tonearm is attached to same subplinth as platter, so should be level with platter. The headshell should be separately adjusted to align the cartridge azimuth, so may not be level, but level is where you would want it if not planning to adjust the azimuth.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Madlove likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Platter is the only level that matters (pun intended)

Madlove likes this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

With a sprung suspension turntable, get an 8 or 9" lightweight non-magnetic level and check all the levels in the store before you buy one -- but turning them over and seeing if it reads the same however you orient the level. Then, place the turntable on a couple of stools so you can get to the springs beneath. Level the plinth on the stools with shims. Once it's fixed and level you can measure across the platter and armboard areas adjusting the springs until the sprung suspension also is level and the bounce is straight up and down and not too tight or too loose. Then you can put the table back in place and level the plinth via adjustable feet and everything should be level. Bulls-eye level probably isn't the best tool for the job, and anything that's too heavy so as to deflect the suspension isn't the right tool for the job. This might be useful: Susp_Tim_Bailey

Madlove and The Pinhead like this.
  10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

With a sprung table, you need to set the plinth up first and make sure it's level, then adjust the springs from underneath to level the platter. it's important to have both the plinth and the platter level so that the platter has the optimal bounce it needs, straight up and down, no bouncing from side to side. Look up setting up a Linn LP12 on youtube regarding what the optimal bounce of the platter should look like. An old dining table with the center leaf removed is ideal for setting up a sprung table as you can reach underneath to adjust the springs.

Madlove and eddiel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.