LG 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED $869.99

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by SandAndGlass, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I might be in the market if my brother hadn't just bought a TCL 4K Roku 65" set at Costco for $599. If I were to place it next to another set, I'm sure I could spot limitations and flaws, but on it's own in his living room, damned if I can see any.

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If I can't get a tv that has 3D capability in a few years I'll just get a cheapie one, off the shelve ..next to the tinned beans.

4. Chris DeVoe

Not to pick on LG, but I'm not at all impressed with the intelligence of their "smart" TV, and vastly prefer the Roku interface.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Are there any 3D sets left on the market? I thought that had a stake driven through it's heart at a crossroads at midnight.

alexpop likes this.
  6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

There are none. Most of the home theater projectors still have 3-D capability though. I'm hoping my 3-D set lasts a good long time. Should be getting the 3-D Film Archive's restoration of THE MAZE in the mail soon.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. alexpop

Optimistic they ( some manufacture) put one out. What about all the 3D blu Rays that are still coming out ?

longdist01 likes this.
  8. alexpop

Maybe best to stock pile on Blu Ray players with 3D capability.

9. SandAndGlass

Chris, I'm with you on the picture differences being unable to differentiate the picture between the two TV's. Once you get 8'-10' away from a 4k TV, the picture elements are too small to resolve with the naked eye.
    As to any quality differences, I wouldn't know.

I think that being able to buy 60"-65" TV's for under a grand is another milestone passed in favor of the consumer.

My 65" 4k TV was purchased at a local Hi-Fi shop's "scratch and dent" sale, last summer. I bought it for $899, it was just a display model, it was in perfect condition, it was the previous years model from 2016, which is when Samsung gave 3D the boot.

Anyone looking for a 3D set, may be best off looking for a pre-owned 2015 model.

I really hate the standard factory calibration of these LED displays. Once I discovered the movie mode setting and made a few tweaks, the picture quality was far better than any LED set that I have ever seen on TV. In fact, it is so good, that I would not spend 3-4 grand to purchase a OLED set.

I have upgraded my processor to a new 4k unit, a few months ago. I have just swapped out my Oppo BDP-93 for their new 4k UDP-203.

Up to this point, I have yet to view from an actual 4k source.

One thing that I am extremely impressed with, is the picture quality of standard Blu-ray disks and even standard CD's.

I had a friend over yesterday, who happens to be an artist, and we were watching Vallerian from a standard DVD. The picture quality was amazing.

These newer 4k TV's will upscale the picture form a DVD or Blu-ray disk.

Now that I have a complete 4k system, I want to buy a Blu-ray version of several movies that I have that are in DVD format. To see how much difference between the DVD and the Blu-ray version. I have Blu-ray disks, it is just that I have either one version of the other.

After that, I plan on purchasing some 4k Blu-ray disks of the same material, again, to compare the picture quality.

I personally don't care to have my personal TV connected to the Internet. So my "smart" TV is forever relegated to the roll of being forever a dumb TV.

Running a motel, I have DirecTV, with their Ultimate package, HBO and Cinemax channels for my guests (at no extra charge), but I never watch commercial TV. I don't even have a satellite box hooked up to the TV.

The only things I watch are movies on disk format, music from the old Sony streaming box and videos that I Chromecast.

I bought a new 4k Roku box and I hope to use it to replace the older Sony streaming box. I have not yet installed it.

enro99 likes this.
  10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have my eye on the 75 inch TCL with Roku. Around $1500 at Costco--HDR/Dolby Vision, excellent reviews. My alternate choice is same size LG but it's $800 more.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. alexpop

I may have to look around for a used /nos 3D TV as a back up if there's no 3D TVs manufacturing in the future( have way too many 3D discs to part with them .and there's more coming out).
    4K /OLED TV 2D ?
    At least 75" the bigger the better.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

CostCo's return policy is exceptional as well, so you can check it out and make sure you're happy with it. It's deals like this that make a membership worth it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    SandAndGlass and forthlin like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

As Pinknic said, there are still 3D projectors out there, and if you have the option of setting up a proper home theater/man cave, there is no replacement. I've had excellent service from ProjectorPeople and have bought a dozen different units from their saleswoman Julie. They have 74 different units in stock with 3D as an option.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd suggest verifying it. I've read reports of major abuse of the policy causing them to revise it. Since I'm not a member, I didn't bother to check.

15. Chris DeVoe

They went from two years to 90 days. Too many were buying them for the Superbowl and returning them.

SandAndGlass and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. alexpop

That's a option, I guess.

17. Chris DeVoe

If you have control of the light into the room, a projector has some advantages:
    • No screen glare - totally matte surface
    • Wider viewing angle
    • Better acoustics (no huge sheet of glass between the speakers)
    • The opportunity to mask the screen for perfect framing

18. SandAndGlass

Back in the mid to late seventies, before I had a VCR, I used to collect 16mm films of theater release movies. I had three Bell & Howell 16mm movie projectors. So, I'm a big fan of cinema front projection systems and have had a couple of 6' coffee table style front projection systems that I used with the pioneer laser disk player. I also had a pair of Altec Lansing Model 19 home Voice of the Theater speaker cabinets on each side of the TV screen.

With HT, I side with the "bigger is better" crowd. It provides a more cinema type experience, where other TV sets tend to look like they are just TV sets, only larger. Big screen TV's just never give me a true movie theater experience.

I have a room off of the office that I use as a store room, which could be repurposed as a front projection cinema room, there is probably enough room to accommodate a 120" screen. but is is only the size of an average size bedroom and it would be isolated and I could not achieve the degree of 5.1 surround sound as an integral part of the HT viewing experience, as the audio set-up in the main viewing room.

I had given some thought to adding a front projection system into the main room, but that would mean removing one of the from main pair of speakers and I don't want to do that at this point in time. The curved 65" TV does its job well enough as it is.

And, I think that we are really to the point if having an ultra sharp 65" picture, that I don't know if you can achieve on a reflective screen. But, not having one, I can't really comment on it.

These days, the movie theaters that I attend all have digital projection systems.

A few years back, I took one of my Guests to see Dr. Zhivago at the movie theater where the world premier of the movie "Where the Boy's Are" (which put Fort Lauderdale on the map for spring breaker's). My father took me to see this movie, when it was a first run movie in the 60's. Or, so I was given the impression, when we arrived at the movie theater, he dropped me off gave me some money, told me that he had already seen the movie. He waited until I purchased the ticket and told me that he would be back to pick me up after the movie.

Seeing the movie again on the big screen after all of these years, turned out to be a interesting experience. The quality of the projected picture was natural, just like the original that I had seen in my younger day's. But when I looked over my shoulder at the projection booth, I could see that the image was projected digitally. I could not discern a difference between digital and film, except that the digital version, did not have scratches on the film.

Still, a real cinema fan, but the technology of these new 4k TV sets (once they are properly adjusted), I find to be really remarkable. I don't think that you can create this level of detail on a front projection screen. But, even that is fine, if it creates a cinema experience, all is good in the world.

19. Chris DeVoe

Why would you doubt that it is possible to get the same level of detail on a front projection system? As you yourself said, every theater you go to these days is a 4k digital projection. Aside from the projector, the limitations are going to be the quality of the screen surface, and control of lighting. Long before large high definition digital televisions, the only way to get a good home theater image was with projector. 20 years ago I installed a Sony G90 projector, and upscaled the image to 1600P. I visited the system recently to upgrade the source components, and the image was still looking pretty darn good.

20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

@Chris DeVoe is there a 4k projection home projection system with HDR/Dolby Vision in a reasonable price range? I have the right room for it (controlled lighting) and the space, I just don''t know if it's affordable--i.e. similarly priced to a tv in the 1500-2300 range.

21. Chris DeVoe

I honestly haven't looked into it, as I've not been in the market for them. I don't believe 4K is possible, mostly because projectors are driven by the business market, and there is not a demand for it in that area; they mostly care about brightness.

I am a 4K skeptic and don't see the need for 4K on any screen less than theater size, and am totally comfortable with 1080P on a 10' screen. The only affordable true 4K set I found was a Sony VPL-VW285ES which costs $4999 and at only 1500 lumen. But you can get a 1080P Epson 2150 at 2500 lumen for $699.

I set up a sports bar with a pair of 6000 lumen projectors each on a 120" screen. It was enough brightness that they were usable in the daylight, and on a matte screen was comparable in brightness to the 55" LCDs on either side of them. And they were fed a 720P signal and with tables as close as 6 feet away nobody ever asked about the resolution. When I'm setting up the Sony G90 (which cost $35,000 new) I have to get within a foot of the screen to see the line structure at 1600P.

SandAndGlass and forthlin like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

23. SandAndGlass

Maybe I wasn't saying it as well as I should / could.

In looking at the 4k LED TV that I now have. I think that having actual lights emitting the picture elements directly is kind of like the difference in shining a neon light and looking at it bouncing off a reflective surface as compared to looking directly at a neon sign at night. There is an intensity that you can not get by looking at something with a flat white surface reflecting the same neon light.

Some movies, like Vallerian that I mentioned are eye candy when it comes to visualization. A TV that emits light directly will have more "pop" then the same image bouncing off a reflective screen.

Still, I do fancy front projection systems, because they provide a more cinema type experience, large screen, dark room and a quality surround system with a heavy duty sub woofer.

A large TV set, is just that, a large TV set. But the quality picture that these new 4k sets, I find to be amazing, compared to sets of the past.

24. Chris DeVoe

Fair enough. My goal is to get the cinema experience, which is light bouncing off a screen. Currently, I have a Sony 8" CRT projector, but I haven't actually fired it up in more than a year - my wife wants to see films in the theater instead, and MoviePass makes that possible.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

I like attending the theater, you guys see more movies in the theater in a single year, than I I have seen in my lifetime. And, I like to think that I have seen a bunch of movies. :)

Here, at the motel, I love screening movies in my office for selected guests of mine, who have not as yet seen these movies.

When you think about it, there are very few surviving small indy motels that are even safe enough visit, let alone having an exceptional HT in what used to be the lobby.

While I would love to put a nice 4k projection system in here, it would mean compromising the other audio related components, to do so, which is not on my current agenda.

This 4k TV is has the absolute best picture of any TV that I have ever previously owned. The 5.1 surround sound system really blows the doors of of any HT that my guests have ever had the chance to experience.

The audio system is the same that I use for my 2-channel stereo system. the only difference, it the center channel, powered bu a 250-Watt mono amplifier., which is only used when decoding the 5.1 surround sound, when in movie mode.

The sub is a commercial sub, which is powered by a 1,600 watt Crown class-D amplifier, running in bridged mono mode. The sub is a single passive 15" horn loaded cabinet, that can run at sustained SPL's of 133-dB.

I have had one customer from Canada that has Avant Garde Duos and some exceptional audio equipment, but never the less, he was impressed with the performance of our vintage Altec Lansing A7's.

When he first walked into my office, he exclaimed "you have horn speakers!".

My love for the cinema and it's music, goes back way into my childhood days. I have always loved music from movies. I had the soundtrack to Doctor Zhivago back when I was 10-11 years old. Back in the day, well before my time, movie theaters were really movie palaces. They were among the first places to install air-conditioning. Back in the 30's, there was no TV, but back in the late 30's, there were beautiful technicolor movies, shown to the big silver screen. The best audio that ordinary people were exposed to, was within these movie palaces and on Western Electric and Altec Lansing equipment. The original A2 Voice of the Theater sound system, weighed around 2,300-lbs, per side. A stereo system would require two of these cabinets, which were located behind the projection screen.

The legacy Altec Lansing, A7's that I own happen to be smaller versions of their famous A2's and A4 theater speakers. They were the same quality as their larger systems, but were specifically designed to be portable and for smaller venues of up to around 800-people.

Back before I began to dismantle my VHS film collection, at it's peak, I have 3,700 pre-recorded video tapes. They were all logged into a database that I had built, specifically for that intended purpose.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.