Liam Gallagher's first solo album "As You Were" released 10/6/17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

Where did I say that? I'm off to see him next month and have seen him a bunch of times prior...I'm a fan. Same with Noel...

alexpop likes this.
  2. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Listening now on Spotify thanks to this thread. Really liking it so far!

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Liam latest tweet says NG Fort Knox has similar Christina Aguilera styled lyrics.

4. Mike Vlcek

Mike Vlcek Forum Resident

Funsbury Park's gig sold out in 40 seconds. o_O Even though some might dislike the new album, no one can deny that the man is on fire right now. I'm currently in love with Come Back to Me. Last week it was Paper Crown. Really good album indeed.

The lyrics are full of Easter eggs for Oasis and Beatles fans. It is fun to spot them. :)

5. alexpop

Its no Sgt Pepper or Revolver( or Noel's efforts so far) but at least half of it is steller add to the fact he's a commanding front man gives it top quality. One thing about them younger brother is he's not complacent.

6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Liam's arena setlist is out of this world:

Rock 'n' Roll Star
    Morning Glory
    Greedy Soul
    Wall Of Glass
    For What It's Worth
    Bold
    Paper Crown
    Some Might Say (second time since 2002, done the night before at random festival)
    Slide Away
    I'm Outta Time (first time since 2009)
    Come Back To Me (tour debut, done the night before at random festival)
    You Better Run
    Cigarettes & Alcohol (second time since 2014, done the night before at random festival)
    Be Here Now

Supersonic (first time since 2009)
    I've All I Need
    Live Forever

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  7. alexpop

Yep. Liam is Oasis.

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

madferit

9. alexpop

LG. On -Celebrity Gogglebox
    next with his Mom and son.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Meh. "Cigarettes & Alcohol" is a bit played out to me, even more than the also overdone "Supersonic." I think Oasis did it at almost every single show for 15 years. Kinda bummed he dropped "D'you Know What I Mean"...not that Liam's playing Nashville anytime soon (Beady Eye never did US dates beyond the biggest markets either), but if I went to see him, the Be Here Now stuff was what I'd have been most excited by.

I guess with the large venues, he's going to have to do the hits...but I really think both of them being solo artists means they can eschew most of them for lesser known Oasis cuts that the band never really did live. I feel like anyone going to see him in 2017 (in the UK, anyway) is a hardcore fan who'd probably rather hear "Rockin' Chair" than "Wonderwall," y'know?

I'd be curious how many As You Were songs remain in the set as time passes. Like, the anticipation meant the album did really well out of the gate, and it's certainly better than many were anticipating, but the verdict is still out as to whether it will have any real staying power when he's playing shows a year from now.

JuanTCB likes this.
  11. He's also suggested a couple times that he'll be playing Listen Up during his tour.

12. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

This makes me crazy that he's not coming anywhere close to Nashville, TN. I'd love to see him. . . and that set list- Wow!

alexpop and George P like this.
  13. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Saw him on the telly singing live and it was infuriating. The guy sings thru' his nose!

14. alexpop

Set list.
    A lotta classics for sure.

15. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

interesting to hear some might say. I thought Oasis stopped playing it as he couldn't sing it anymore

16. Dr.D

Dr.D Forum Resident

I’ve always thought that ‘Listen Up’ was his greatest vocal performance on record. Great song, deserved to be on a proper album.

17. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Noel has always opined that "Slide Away" was Liam's vocal masterstroke. I have to agree. It has the perfect combination of a little raspiness with Johnny Lydon snarl. There are a few notes in it that he has to go quite high in his range (like Some Might Say) so his voice must be rested and ready.
    I'd love to hear Listen Up too. Surprise numbers like that, in addition to the new stuff and classics mentioned, would make seeing him live quite the treat

18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

He's playing 'Slide Away' in a lower key this tour though.

19. alexpop

Listen

Up.

So so tune.

20. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

i cant remember for certain but I think they might have tried some might say in a lower key and it sounded poor, and that was years before they split

21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I really like the album, and it is a clear grower.
    But is that guy deaf? The thing sounds so bad. Wish I could find a vinyl rip..... if anyone...oops:shh:

Centurion likes this.
  22. emollerstuen

emollerstuen Forum Resident

Wish he would play Songbird. Such a great song.

FJFP, PhantomStranger and BadJack like this.
  23. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Is there any un LOUD master of this release? Cos it kills my ears 20 seconds in. That's too bad cos the songs are great. Even the vinyl promos sounds loud. I will try the TR24 & iTunes just to see if they sound less compressed.

24. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

You'll need to see Noel Gallagher then. In 2016, his setlist comprised a whole lot of B-sides and album tracks, such as 'Listen Up', 'D'yer Wanna Be a Spaceman', 'Digsy's Dinner', 'The Masterplan', etc.

See here for a September 2016 sample setlist
    Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds Setlist at Singleton Park, Swansea

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  25. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Unfortunately it's not just the loudness, there's a bright glare to the album that makes it a hard listen for me especially if you want to crank it.

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.