Liam Gallagher's first solo album "As You Were" released 10/6/17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I loved both Beady Eye albums, BE was the better one.

My deluxe box set of Liam's album will be here tomorrow. Love the singles so far.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

As you were.

JuanTCB likes this.
  3. anothergreatdivide

anothergreatdivide Active Member

Every track here is at least a 7/10... couple of 10/10 songs here too. Absolutely fantastic album!

4. alexpop

How ( still waiting for my copy)is AYW stacking up against NG's first two ?

5. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I have the DOYS box set from 2008, 4 LPs at 45 RPM. I would recommend it, I think it sounds great.

scotti likes this.
  6. alexpop

Box set has A5 art print by Revolver artist Klaus Voorman.

Carl80 and scotti like this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wow great reviews, and the album cover is really good as well.
    I must check this out.

8. Django

Django Forum Resident

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

10. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

I loved Beady Eye, both on record and live.

I re-listened for the first time in a while prior to Liam's album coming, and now having heard 'as you were' i reckon it's basically solved Beady's problems without losing anything much.

I think it was Andy Bell's songs and input that was the problem with the band, much as his songs were always skippers on later Oasis albums. Gem on the other hand took Liam's voice to different places - the bonus tracks on BE are eveidnce of that - and of course Liam's own songs have long been overlooked for their quality - 'I'm Outta Time' is one of the best things Oais ever recorded.

'Paper Crown' really could be a Gem tune and is a real highlight on the new album. I also love the way that many songs are already familiar from live outings, but there's enough surprises in there to hit home too.

It's a great album and anyone who likes a rock'n'rool approach and, yes, a 'traditional' sounding record won't be disappointed. Thing is, there's enough 'modern' production in there too to appeal across a wider board.

All in all it's been a great campaign and I really hope Liam gets that UK number one album spot that he so clearly wants (and deserves)

11. alexpop

BE?
    I've got the RS freebie.

12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I like them.

13. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

I was hoping this would be good but I didn't think it'd be as good as it is. Apart from the dodgy second half ("Chinatown" is pure dog eggs) it's a cracker.

"I Never Wanna Be Like You" is a lovely little tune that brings a chuckle to my face.

Octowen likes this.
  14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

This half related video is here just so the YouTube links further in my post don't get automatically embedded, very annoying:

Not at all, if anything there's revisionism going on right now. New songs in the decent rock category 'Greedy Soul', 'You Better Run' or 'I Get By' are in not way above Beady Eye songs from the same calibre like 'Face The Crowd', 'Wind Up Dream' or 'Three Ring Circus'. The new typical Liam-composition 'I Never Wanna Be Like You' is not way better than Beady Eye's 'For Anyone' or 'Start Anew' for example. In the Robbie Williams-style ballads category, Beady Eye's 'Back After The Break' and 'Off At The Next Exit' are superior or at least on par with 'For What It's Worth' and 'Chinatown', although the latter are way more commercial.

And the band itself was far, far superior to the butchering job his current band does. It's not often studio cuts are much better than the live versions we're used to for months now. Even on 'Wonderwall' the guitar player has to be slowed down by Liam himself all the time. And they don't learn, this happened in the first week he brought it back (Liam Gallagher - Wonderwall [Live at Les Ardentes, Liege - 09-07-2017] ) and still happened last week (Die schöne Nacht 20 Jahre RadioEins - Liam Gallagher Berlin, Tempodrom 30.09.2017 2/2 ). Jay Mehler still messes up the plain simple opening note to 'Rock And Roll Star' every other gig (Liam Gallagher Glastonbury 2017 ), which sets the tone.

On the new solo album there are more higher peaks and less dips than on the average Beady Eye album though.

In my opinion they all had their weak points and high points. Andy Bell wrote instant singles 'Four Letter Word', 'Millionaire' and B-side 'World Outside My Room', the latter which gave Liam an approach he never had before, but also wrote the dreary 'Kill For A Dream' and Rutles-parody 'The Beat Goes On'. I agree Gem Archer wrote the most of the best songs, which indeed gave Liam some space to expand himself for once, 'In The Bubble With A Bullet, the 'BE' bonus tracks mentioned, but he also wrote the awful repetitive 'Second Bite Of The Apple' and 'Iz Rite'. And then Liam himself, he wrote some fantastic material himself with 'The World's Not Set In Stone', 'Flick Of The Finger', 'Soul Love', 'Start Anew', but also often fell back in cringy cliches which never got anywhere like 'Wigwam' or 'Don't Brother Me'.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I loved Beady Eye and much as I loved Noel and his High Flying Birds, which is a lot. The problem for me was the unavoidable comparison to Oasis, since Noel was still playing his songs live and Beady Eye was basically Oasis without Noel. In other words, I think it was impossible for me to give Beady Eye a fair shake, as I really wanted them to be Oasis.

I revisited Beady Eye over the summer with a clearer head. They were great. Looking forward to hearing Liam's album when I get home from work today. He's still one of the best singers in rock&roll.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Beady Eye were great. At least if you are into Oasis or rock in general (and you are not working in Pitchfork). Their second album had nice psychedelic touches here and there. You can easily make a one great LP combining best of their 2 albums.

According to what I've seen from youtube Liam's current band is pretty awful. They don't have chops, class, right sound. It's pretty evident when they do Oasis covers. Looks like a bunch of hired guns.

And I never could stand this poor geezer - Jay Mehler.

17. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

I don't get the downers on his new band at all. They are a rockin' little outfit. As the album wasn't recorded by the band as a unit, it's no surprise that it's a different live offering. Greedy Soul sounds much more kicking live and I think they get the slower songs just right too. As to the Oasis stuff they do live, I much prefer this rawer take on things than the U2-ish stadium 'perfection' that Oasis turned into latterly. The new version of Soul Love is much mean and moodier than Beady Eye's take on it and all the better for it I reckon.

I hope Liam plays a few more Beady Eye tunes live, it would be a shame for that whole era of his career to be overlooked. I'd love to hear 'Boy With The Blues' too.

Spear and Magic Helmet and FJFP like this.
  18. Hitman2017

Hitman2017 Active Member

On my 2nd listen. Musically it's top notch and Liam’s voice is superb. "When I’m In Need" is a favourite so far. But it's nothing new and heard it all before. It's not great and it’s not bad. I think the Guardian review is the most honest review so far.

19. alexpop

Soul Love.
    "Nice one "
    Indeed. Catchy chorus.

20. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

I heard some of the material on youtube videos made at AIR studios and some sounds like Oasis (one of his guitarists looks like Noel!). I think (people had commented on this) he had pros help write some of the tracks, and I think they deliberately wrote some in an Oasis like style.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  21. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Liam Gallagher - As You Were
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR5 over -6.41 dB 01 - Wall Of Glass.mp3
    DR5 over -7.48 dB 02 - Bold.mp3
    DR5 over -5.95 dB 03 - Greedy Soul.mp3
    DR6 over -8.08 dB 04 - Paper Crown.mp3
    DR5 over -6.52 dB 05 - For What It's Worth.mp3
    DR6 over -8.28 dB 06 - When I'm In Need.mp3
    DR5 over -5.65 dB 07 - You Better Run.mp3
    DR5 over -5.67 dB 08 - I Get By.mp3
    DR5 over -7.05 dB 09 - Chinatown.mp3
    DR6 over -7.38 dB 10 - Come Back To Me.mp3

DR7 -0.01 dB -9.45 dB 11 - Universal Gleam.mp3
    DR6 over -8.50 dB 12 - I've All I Need.mp3
    DR5 over -5.99 dB 13 - Doesn't Have To Be That Way (Bonus Track).mp3
    DR6 over -8.48 dB 14 - All My People All Mankind (Bonus Track.mp3
    DR6 over -9.07 dB 15 - I Never Wanna Be Like You (Bonus Track).mp3

Number of files: 15
    Official DR value: DR6

PhantomStranger and Jaffboy151 like this.
  22. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

Must have got too used to hearing 'wall of glass' on the radio and Spotify, sounds weird on the vinyl playback.. bit tinny and bright sounding, most the other songs sound OK though..
    Wonder what the Vinyl DR values are?

23. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I bought a ticket to his upcoming show and the album was included. I haven't gotten any word on shipping and I'm kind of hoping that I go home today and it's in my mailbox. Anyone else?

24. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

It is obvious that some of these reviewers do not like Oasis.

I think all albums should only be reviewed by fans of the artist. That way you would at least get more of a balanced assessment. If I had to review an artist I did not like I would trash them too. But what good does that do for people who are thinking about buying the product… nothing. It’s just opinionated propaganda.

Octowen likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Listened the whole thing on Spotify this morning. It's really good and I'd say it's probably better than Noel's two albums! For me, For What It's Worth is the strongest song. It's classic Oasis even if Noel is nowhere in sight.:D

Definitely going to pick up the deluxe CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.