Liam Gallagher's first solo album "As You Were" released 10/6/17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just as I'm still baffled as to how Noel kept such a top quality song as Let's All Make Believe off Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants, it's puzzling why Liam didn't include Doesn't Have To Be That Way on the standard edition of As You Were... At least he learned to make bad decisions regarding tracklists from his older brother!

PhantomStranger and majoyenrac like this.
  2. Mikey471

Mikey471 Forum Resident

Listened to this a couple of times today and am really enjoying it. Also like Beady Eye but so far am enjoying this more then their two albums.

3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Just opened my boxset, this is an absolute delight at the price, got to be one of the best quality sets I've seen for while, apart from the pepper box.

Everything is perfectly pressed as well, was slightly concerned the EP would turn up scuffed buts it's perfect luckily and the white LP is perfect as well so I'm delighted, now just to listen.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  4. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Some of these songs are great. I really like Paper Crown, Bold and When I'm In Need, as well as the first three singles. I am very much not a fan of the songs that are cut from the thread of "Lord, Don't Slow Me Down" - the stompy, "rock" songs: Greedy Soul, You Better Run and I Get By. The album is definitely much better than I expected it to be and I think it surpasses his work with Beady Eye.

5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Agree. This song is great. Far better than some of the other rockers on the album.

ShardEnder likes this.
  6. Oasis fans learned to tune out the music press years and years ago. They are never going to be critical darlings, which is fine with me. I'd rather have them selling millions than the music press showering them with love.

7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

8. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

Really pleased with the album, had a feeling it was a winner after China town was released, if I'd had more space in my rack I'd have gone with the box set,
    I like noel's albums too but always seem to get bored half way though and put something else on.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Haven't checked it out yet but the positive comments are encouraging...

Matthew Tate and Carl80 like this.
  10. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I have to say....this album is pretty great!

Wall of Glass
    Bold
    Greedy soul
    For what it's worth
    And the amazing Chinatown are my early favorites (of course Glass, Worth, & Chinatown have been out a few weeks).

Very Beatley, less of his traditional sneer but well sung

Oh and Universal Gleam may as well be a White Album or Lennon Revolver outtake--another gem...

Both Gallagher's are getting better separately now than they did the last couple albums together

This one may end up a great record (its early and right now I'm into the sound of it, we will see if it resonates more in time before I say it's a classic).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Favre508 likes this.
  11. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

This album is FANTASTIC!!! Spinning it for the 5th time right now in a row.

Anyone else think the single mix sounds different than the album version of Wall of Glass? I listened to the YouTube version tons and thought it had a ton more bass.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks to be a winner.

13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I think Wall Of Glass has been cleaned up for the album version , I have the Wall Of Glass 7 inch and it doesn't sound great , I've read other people say it sounds much better on the album than the 7 inch single as well. I'm gonna give the CD and LP a listen over the weekend.

14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I'm on listen number 3 today to the deluxe cd. Songs are great. His voice sounds almost as good as it did on BHN. Cd is pretty much mastered like all Oasis discs - brickwalled.

I think this one is going to get a lot of plays !!!

Jaffboy151 and Mikey471 like this.
  15. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Oh my god this is album is so good! I was excited about this album coming out, but I didn't't know it was going to be this good! The songs all seem so fresh, and Liam's singing is so freaking great! He really injects venom into these these tunes that give the songs such an edge! I've already listened to this album twice today and it keeps getting better and better!

16. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Haven't heard Noel's 2nd LP yet... have the 3rd pre-ordered.

This album is definitely jaw dropping. Really expected a few duds on a Liam solo album, it really turned out to be the top album of the year for me.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Has Noel commented on it yet ?

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

ya ever heard 'im talk ? You wouldn't understand what he was saying even if he did

19. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I'm enjoying it at the moment, I think it's growing on me as well. I've only played the bonus tracks once at the moment, but I did enjoy them, IDHTBTW is crazy.

20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I think there is a lot to be said for an artist being hungry.
    Liam is really going for it when only a year ago he seemed completely washed up.

Spear and Magic Helmet and FJFP like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It may be the best "Oasis" album since (What's The Story) Morning Glory?!*

*Or maybe Heathen Chemistry.

Spear and Magic Helmet and bob60 like this.
  22. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

How does vinyl sound and is it the way to go above CD?
    Cheers
    Gary

23. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Then I ain't buying it , was hoping for something nearer the quality of Be Here Now ( Liam's favourite album)

24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don't think As You Were is up to the very best songs on Be Here Now.

25. Hitman2017

Hitman2017 Active Member

That's quite a bold statement. It good but not that good IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.