Liam Gallagher's first solo album "As You Were" released 10/6/17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

BE bonus tracks Japan had in total 17 songs.

2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

And 13 songs for album 1, with 5 non-album B-sides on the singles. 'Dreaming Of Some Space', the first bonus track for album 2 'BE', was also the B-side to a single, and is a very clever reversed version of 'Start Anew'.

Plus there's a release called '42:42' with psychedelic/dub remixes of the 2013 material.

'White Smoke' from there was the intro tape to the gigs in the second era. That into 'Flick Of The Finger' was unforgettable.

Again, now brushed away as one big failure, but that certainly wasn't the case.

FJFP, Carl80 and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

As You Were
    Chart action: Too early ?

4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Gotta admit; I like it. *

Glad he let someone else write the tunes. Me thinks Our Kid has his groove back.

* Hell, maybe even Noel will say something nice about it.

5. alexpop

Something like he should have made this a few years ago, gone Solo that is.

6. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

For what it's worth!...the deluxe box is only £43.65 on Amazon UK (If you're prepared to wait a week or so for delivery)

I was going to go for the deluxe CD but I've now decided I like it enough (from streaming) to go all in and get the box set.

On the subject of Beady Eye, for me - Flick of the Finger was their finest moment, I'd urge anyone that hasn't heard it to check it out (You could say it's their Gas Panic moment)

I've been lucky enough to bag both Liam & Noel gig tickets for their upcoming gigs in Nottingham, looking forward to it!

dtuck90, Rufus rag and Carl80 like this.
  7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I'm seeing both of them as well in Manchester this December and next May.

I've listened to the album right the way through and I think it's a really strong debut, stands outs for me are -bold, paper crown (probably my favourite track) for what it's worth, Universal Gleam and I've all I need.

Noel will do well to better this one !

8. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Dreaming of some space is one of my fav beady eye tunes.

Is that intro on any release in your vid ?

9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yes, that's the mentioned 'White Smoke' from '42:42', which has elements of 'The World's Not Set In Stone'.

'42:42' was a limited edition vinyl release (1000 copies), only available as gift for Pretty Green customers.

Carl80 likes this.
  10. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Cheers mate, what is 42:42 ? I've got both the beady eye LP's and Japanese releases but I've never heard of that.

11. alexpop

Think about $50.00

PhantomStranger and Carl80 like this.
  12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Just edited my post, one notable correction though: it's '42.42', and it was only available on a MixCloud page by Andy Bell. And edits of two of the songs were released on the mentioned limited edition vinyl release, but the full release is mp3-only.

Carl80 likes this.
  13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Thanks, yeah ive seen that pretty green vinyl , is that white smoke intro on the pretty green LP ?

alexpop likes this.
  14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Unfortunately not, only available through the Mixcloud page. The vinyl were the remixes to 'Flick Of The Finger' and 'Soul Love'.

Carl80 likes this.
  15. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Ok mate, cheers.

16. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

An easy #1 in England. UK chart monitor Mint Royale is mentioning first day sales of about 60,000 copies.

PhantomStranger, bob60 and alexpop like this.
  17. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Because it was discussed earlier, I compared the 'Wall Of Glass' single release to the album release: 1 on 1, up to the damn millisecond.

FJFP likes this.
  18. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

I'm probably biased, but I think it's a fantastic album. I've spent a lot of time with the songs he's put out, and listened to the live stuff a lot. When I last look at the wiki the credits were wrong, but they've probably been updated now. As far as what he wrote alone, I think it's his best collection of songs. One of my favorites is "Doesn't Have To Be This Way"- fantastic vocal. In fact, I think this is some of the best singing of his career. It's not an Oasis record, but it's darn good. The deluxe white vinyl sounds fantastic as well. Very very quiet, and great sound. Great looking set overall.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Jaffboy151, Carl80 and Favre508 like this.
  19. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

His set just finished at CalJam and he was excellent. Opened up with a fe Oasis songs then a lot of new stuff.

His vocals we're on point and he killed it. Might've been singing along a prerecorded backing track for Wonderwall? It was the orchestral part mixed with 1 acoustic guitar only. The guitar might've been live but the synths for sure were from the record. It sounded great.

ScienceFriction and Erik B. like this.
  20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This sounds nothing like what I would have expected yet exactly like a Liam solo album should, if that makes any sense. LG updated his usual palate and it's really paid off. As You Were seems both slicker yet riskier than Noel's two albums.

My point? I love it!

21. alexpop

Let's see what Noel pulls out the bag in a few weeks.

22. alexpop

What's HMV /FoPP street price for this ?

23. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

Well, I'm going to have a walk about town shortly - if I find out, I'll let you know this avvy.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

Wall of Glass, Chinatown and Come Back To Me are my faves so far, solid album and refreshing compared to most current fare (although backward looking).

25. alexpop

As You Were.

JuanTCB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.