Life after Rega

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eetu, Nov 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eetu

eetu Forum Resident Thread Starter

For nearly a decade, my turntable has been a Rega RP6. I’ve happy with it, but it never blew my mind. Humming noise would appear at moderate level and the PSU felt cheap and eventually broke down.

I don’t want to put over $250 in just a new PSU, so I’ve decided to take the next step and invest some good money in a new turntable, that one that I’ll feel it’s the turntable for a lifetime. And, that one won’t be a Rega.

With so many options available, choosing the right turntable can be a daunting experience. Even more so when I don’t have the chance to listen in person to many brands where I live. As a result, I’m turning to the forums for advice.

So far, there are two strong contenders in my list: VPI Prime and Acoustic Solid (Wood or Solid Machine). Any opinions on this two would much appreciate it, but I’d love to hear any other suggestions or advice on what to look for.

The rest of my equipment includes Musical Fidelity M6 amp and B&W 702 s2 speakers.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I moved up from a 20+ yr long association with a Rega Planar 2 to a VPI prime a couple years ago. I got a swingin’ deal on the Prime too.

I like the Prime very much. It was a reasonably simple setup and the alignment gauge included is brilliant. The speed stability is rock solid, the dynamics macro to micro are amazing and the tracking over the entire playing surface is clear and distortion free. This is a very easy to recommend upgrade.

If I was buying now I’d look seriously at the VPI Classic (which is still available at Upscale Audio) also because I “think” it may actually be a bit quieter and run even smoother than the already fantastic Prime. It doesn’t cost much more either and it’s about 20lbs heavier.

displayname and rebellovw like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

There's a VPI in the classifieds right now at a VERY attractive price.

FLEMKE likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I would think it to be a bit of "culture shock" going from a Rega to a VPI.
    Different theories (mass vs rigidity) should give you a different character on presentation.
    And then the Rega plug and play vs the finicky and lengthier cart setup process of the uni pivot arm. Although a gimbled arm was offered ... at one time at least.
    I know nothing of the Acoustic Solid, but the character of the table should be similar to the Prime....plus the finish looks better than the vinyl wrapped Prime.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the best thing about moving on from Rega is the market is wide open for top grade cartridges that are better sonic values.
    you may want to find a cartridge first and then pick a table / tonearm that matches it well- or at least have one in mind.

Tim Irvine and displayname like this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Back in 2010 I came very close to getting a P3/24 but went with a Technics and a few years later went VPI Classic - and still have both. I've never had any hum issues and both decks are fantastic - black backgrounds - very stable. I can't imagine anything better.

Dax_Frost and displayname like this.
  7. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Maybe add to list.
    Marantz Clearaudio TT15s1
    Technics SL1200GR (if budget) or SL1500c (unfortunately you can't avoid a mediocre 2M red/build-in phonostage)

Oelewapper and displayname like this.
  8. Slick Willie

At his price point better one of the better Clearudio tables or the 1200G?

9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Prime would be a great option. Also, take note of the new Prime 21 that's just been released. It's got a slightly redesigned plinth, with a 3d gimbaled arm and better/upgraded feet.

displayname and avanti1960 like this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Still that funky shaped plinth - not my cup of tea.

action pact, BSU and Slick Willie like this.
  11. Slick Willie

Nice to see the gimbled arm.
    Now if they'd just change the plinth shape and add a cover.

The Dragon likes this.
  12. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I have the rega p3-24 and I used to have the vpi Classic 1. The classic was a beast of a table, really beautiful and well made. That being said, I really do enjoy the rega and have no real desire to swap it out. If I did, I think I’d go with the new technics 1200G.

Baby Driver likes this.
  13. Slick Willie

I have a G and love it although I did not rec it as the tables he listed are very cosmetically different and some can't get past that aspect.

Fruff76 likes this.
  14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Another vote for the Technics SL line. Sweet spot is the 1200/1210GR. No more belt drive tables for me.

luckybaer likes this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The VPIs plinth and tonearms look so much better in person, the size and scale, detail and quality is impressive, like precision machinery.
    i actually like the shape of the plinth. not everything has to look like a box.

16. eetu

Really good ideas to get me started in this journey. I'm not in a hurry as I'm using an old Dual, so the search for a new player is going to be much fun.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  17. russk

russk Forum Resident

Just moved from a Rega RP6 to an SL1200GR. A couple of years ago I was looking at going to a VPI Prime or 1200G. Found the 1200G to be the better table for lots of reasons. The biggest being the Prime with ADS was comparable but more money than the 1200G and felt more fiddly.

Ended up with the 1200GR because I felt nothing bettered it till you hit the 1200G and even then only a subtle improvement. That and I spend less time listening to my records than I used to do to streaming and now Qobuz, and SACDs. The VPI are nice tables but I honestly think Technics ruined the market with the performance of their new tables and their price points.

18. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I think you are jumping the gun just a bit. What cartridge are you using on RP6? Don't buy into the crap you have to use a Rega cartridge. I've never used a Rega cart and I've had 3 Rega TT with 5 or 6 different brands, all with no issues. Your hum sounds like a simple grounding issue somewhere in your audio chain. You should be able to find and stop that. Lastly, you can use the Rega without the PSU. It's not that big a deal.

19. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Stick with Rega and go with a P8 would be my advice. You won’t beat it for the money - the reviews don’t lie. I had it paired with a MF M6 and it was stunning.

Baby Driver and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  20. eetu

I used Ortofon Bronze, which was pretty sweet. I toyed with the idea of just upgrading the tonearm, but I must admit I have the itch for trying a completely different table even if I don't have good reasons for it. You know how this works. :D

I'm not sure the RP6 can work without the PSU, though.

21. eamesonly

eamesonly Forum Resident

I've moved from a Rega P3 w origin live rewire after a decade of use. I found a 1987 Oracle Premier at a local record shop. Had to have the electronics replaced with an new motor at Oracle. However it's been worth it! Loving the Oracle sound. The platter and suspension a definite upgrade. Still have the p3 thinking of giving it to my kids for their starter system.

22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Word

luckybaer likes this.
  23. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That'll be one hell of a "starter system" :)
    -Bill

Dennis Metz and luckybaer like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yes, you post the same thing every day. We get it.

25. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I would consider a Vertere DG-1 if you like the Rega presentation but are looking for an "upgrade"...

Strat-Mangler and avanti1960 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.