Life on Mars? and Hunky Dory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by primejive, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primejive

primejive Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to this recent performance by Tom Chaplin, I'm discovering Life on Mars? and the rest of Hunky Dory. The song itself is very cinematic and now has become an ear worm.

The next track for me to dig in on is Quicksand. I heard Neil Finn in some interview saw that Quicksand was a great influence on him because it showed him that songs don't have to follow the rules. It's funny how that is the same thing Rick Wakeman said about Life on Mars?

Guess I've avoided the deep dive into Bowie long enough.

polchik, Tuco and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wait a minute.... it took that bloke from Keane for you to discover "Life On Mars?" and "Hunky Dory"? Jesus....

Cassius, Frosst, RoryMcBride and 6 others like this.
  3. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

He Probably never knew were the kooks got their name from.

4. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Unlike the 2 jerks who replied before me, I say: Welcome to the magic of David Bowie!

5. primejive

primejive Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the Welcome. While I certainly know the larger American radio hits, I never took the time to explore his music in depth and I have certainly never taken the time to focus on lyrics.

There has always been some other artist stuck in my head. So for me, Life on Mars? Is one of those songs not on the beaten path.

I don't know the Kooks, so they'll have wait.

vonwegen likes this.
  6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Welcome to the crazy world of David Bowie.
    Once you're hooked, you will never part with his music.
    Be prepared to be taken on a journey where you will be challenged in your tastes, as he was VERY diverse!

7. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Try "The Man Who Sold The World".

Hunky Dory has long been the favourite album of The Strange Person I Live With, although in Bowie terms I prefer Ziggy, Diamond Dogs or Low, or even The Man Who...

Frosst likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

There's this British TV show that's called "Life On Mars", it's hilarious.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Something recently made me love "Life on Mars" more than ever, too. But in my case, it was Jessica Lange doing it in character as Elsa Mars on American Horror Story - Freak Show:

It's going to have more impact for you in the context of the show, if you're digging the show, but here it is in isolation:

10. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Yeah, there's no rules about these things, and discovery. No need for rudenesss from people. When I was a smallish kid I got heavily into a lot of "punk" or "post punk" stuff, like Bauhaus, the Banshees, at a young age, around 8 to 12 years old, mostly via the John Peel radio show. But I didn't hear a Joy Division album all the way thru until I was over 30, despite them being arguably the "ultimate" band of that ilk / era..

11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

You can't go wrong with most anything from Space Oddity through Scary Monsters.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Pitchfork recently placed it at no. 1 on their list of the best songs of the 70's. I was a bit surprised, but it's an inspired choice and defensible.

13. cellery

cellery Well-Known Member

Definitely one of my favorite Bowie tracks. Coincidentally I recently rewatched Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic with Steve Zisou and this song is featured in one of its key scenes. There's also a lot of other Bowie songs on the soundtrack, sung in Portugese and played on accoustic guitar by one of the cast members who is actually a Portugese musician of some repute (Seu Jorge's his name).

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Another welcome. It's never too late to discover any phase of Bowie's career. I've been at it almost 40 years and am only now exploring his '90s output.

Sebastich, SammyJoe and MHP like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's probably best to go chronologically from Hunky Dory. That way you get all the changes as they happen. Probably less jarring that way.:D

16. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yeah, that's how I began, way back in 1974. Bored after hours of homework algebra, I stumbled across WROL-149 on the AM dial in Knoxville, TN at a time when I was barely teenaged. "Changes" was the first cut, but it didn't rock enough then for my nascent heavy guitar thirsts, but I did decide to like "Suffragette City" until the synth sax lines swamped the distorted Ronson guitars, and "Rebel Rebel" was something fine, though I could not work out why. "Diamond Dogs" was something weird and out of tune, but it stuck in me memory too.
    Took me a while to warm to that big BONK! of "Fame" and shortly after Station To Station made its K'ville debut, the station got sold down the corporate disco road.
    Then I stumbled across the single of "heroes" on a whim after attaching me dad's stereo receiver to the TV antenna on the roof, and the whole romance started up again.
    That b*stard Bowie, he never could stop corrupting us youth!

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Who cares how the OP discovered them, right? The point is "he discovered them".

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I've always liked David Bowie and just recently picked up a copy of Hunky Dory on vinyl. Somehow I never got that before. So I'm sitting in my "listening" chair last night spinning the disc and reading the lyrics, I've heard all these songs before, right? Greatest hits and compilations and whatever. But listening to the entire album start to finish was mind blowing! What an incredible album! This is like Bowie's "Tumbleweed Connection" to me. Wow...

19. Neonbeam

Why not "Honky Dory Château"???:laughup:

jmxw and Black Thumb like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best sounding Hunky Dory?
    Vinyl always has a thin sound no mid range, reminds me of After The Goldrush in that respect. Great songs though.

21. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I'm almost envious that you have so much to discover and enjoy. Life On Mars and Quicksand are absolute timeless classics that I never tire of.
    There are so many paths back to the source ! I love this haunting performance

Sebastich and Terrapin Station like this.
  22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yeah, I discovered Bowie through one of my teachers who would always quote his songs and wear tour shirts and stuff... :D

OP: Welcome to Bowie! Try Station to Station - you've heard Golden Years for sure, but tracks like the 10-minute title cut and the very deeply moving cover of Wild is the Wind made this my definitive lonely-island record :angel:

Sebastich likes this.
  23. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I've been listening to Hunky Dory a lot lately, it's just so strange, it's influences are pretty well articulated....it's mostly sad but there's joy to be found in Kooks and a couple others. Station To Station is my Bowie Jam, but anything he did in the 70's is totally worthy.

Sebastich and LeBon Bush like this.
  24. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

My go to is the EMI100 Centenary vinyl reissue from 1997- it sounds stellar to these ears.

Neonbeam and alexpop like this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Straight analog transfer ?
    No digital, that's a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.