Life without tone controls ... it sucks!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by albertoderoma, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

and you think your speakers, amps, source dont add colour by themselves?

no matter how good your component is, they colour the original signal one way or the other. sure some are more transparent then other and thats the better way to "tone control" your system

It's good for them is a lame excuse.
    ever heard of loudness curve for late night listening?
    BK curve/target curve? harman research show that roll off in the treble is prefered then FLAT.

so yeah, arguably, not taking into account our physical limitation and subjective preference is lame.

and I dont use tone control, but I wont let you judge people who do. they have many actual arguments in favor of tone control

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No two eyes see alike. When I have people over at my house they always criticize my picture saying it's dull; little color/brightness etc. Only ONE guy who was a movie editor said ¨your pic is very accurate, just not pleasant¨

Some people prefer a vibrant albeit unnatural pic, if only for effect. Others just can't be arsed to adjust their pics. None of them is ¨wrong¨; they just prefer it that way. I find the TV settings comparison very good; I myself had thought of it but refrained from posting it.

bluemooze and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I found this YouTube video that might help (features many genres I'd never heard of before [Math Metal? Viking Metal?] and Dubstep is one of them):

Walter Koehler and The Pinhead like this.
  4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

They are wrong, personal preference is the worst arbiter that you can place on art, the Kardashians is the most popular program on TV, can you judge quality by this, no.
    Just because people like something this way don't make it even important, just means they don't know any better. Who am I to judge you might say, that's cool.

Robert M. and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Bottom line is....

It's better to have a choice than not.

Don't like what tone controls can do....just hit your 'defeat' button.

So....don't take away the choice...just keep the option to not use them. Simple. :)

6. murphythecat

what does that has to do with tone controls and the many arguments for them...
    nothing really.
    their is actual evidence (studies, tests) that point toward the use of tone control like rolling off the highs or boosting the lows and highs at night is preferred.

now, can you answer my arguments I did in my last post? or you just want to keep your personal opinion based on a weird idea that tone control is inherently bad...

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  7. The Pinhead

Or anyone else for that matter. I calibrate my sound from a lifetime of personal experience with live rock bands; rehearsals, live gigs, and a stint as a soundsman's assistant. I know how every instrument sounds like in real life and try to get as close to it during musical reproduction as it's possible with what I have at hand. Does that make me an authority ? No ! Others will just use whatever other approach they may see fit. And that's OK by me.

OK then, next time I'll rely on someone else's opinion:rolleyes:.Play it flat (again) Sam !:laugh:

dalem5467 and nm_west like this.
  8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I was replying to a post on TV adjustments, but as you have brought it up, it fits, just because it's liked that way, personal preference is the last thing I would look at.

9. The Pinhead

Your wife must have been a beauty queen then; she was approved by a jury of....other men with their own ¨personal¨ tastes.

10. murphythecat

nonsense

dalem5467 and The Pinhead like this.
  11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I don't even mean play it flat, just that personal preference is the way this thread has gone, if I think it is right then it is, is the daftest idea ever.

12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

My personal preference yes, not yours or anybody else,s, don't you see where I am coming from my thoughts are not yours, that's cool, your ideas about tone controls,and what constitutes sound quality, are not mine.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Explain yourself, is a consensus of personal preference your arbiter of quality, whatever that is, or do you have a personal opinion and does that make you right.

14. murphythecat

I cited 3 evidence data: B&K curve, Harman research showing preference for roll off in the treble and some bass boost and the well known phenomena of ear sensitivity at low level listening (Loudness - Wikipedia )

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

Finally; we agree on this:righton:.

Sound quality is as subjective as it comes, otherwise there wouldn't be such an overwhelming different sound signatures to different speakers, amps, carts (place loooong etc here). That includes the use, misuse, abuse, or no use of tone controls. It's not maths man !!!

royzak2000 likes this.
  16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

That's fine I can live with that, but it's not what I am talking about, I have no problem with tone controls, just the I like it therefore it must be right idea.

17. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Or balanced systems.

18. The Pinhead

Your idea of a balanced system might or not work to faithfully reproduce MY records to MY ears:shrug:

dalem5467 likes this.
  19. murphythecat

you dont have problem with tone controls? should I go back a couple page and quote you?

how did you chose your speakers? probably because you liked how it sounded...

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

There you go again, me,me,me, in the big world you are not that special, just you in your room, doing your thing, so what. Just tells me that you in your room are getting the best yo can, with your compromises.
    It tells no one else anything.

21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

This personal preference stuff, is so personal, it can not be spread that's the problem I have with this thread. What I like is in some way the correct way to listen no it's not is's just how you listen.

22. The Pinhead

Cryptic anyone ? And we still can't see your point:winkgrin:

Walter Koehler likes this.
  23. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

Please explain
    what is the ultimate Correct Way for listen to your favoured Music ?
    how should be the Setup configurated ?
    with or without tonecontrol
    with or without balanced
    analog or digital
    ???? Correct Way ????

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

You?

25. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

No, you are joking, it don't exist, a thousand ways,you do your own thing, you just don't for one moment decide it's the correct way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.