Lift Lock Jewel CD Cases and MoFi

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I stopped buying MOFI discs when they went to the mini-lp sleeves. Maybe it's my loss, but if I'm paying $24.99-$29.99 for disc I want them housed in jewel cases.

A simple solution would be to market the discs in both the mini-lp sleeves and jewel cases. Audiophiles could then choose which packaging they prefer and MFSL might even make a few extra bucks as hardcore collectors would probably pick-up one of each.

3. mwheelerk

Actually

I actually ended up liking the Mofi Mini LP CD format so much that I started buying the Rhino Replicas and ordering some Japanese Mini LP CD versions. I just thought they said they couldn't get the lift lock jewel case anymore.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Does MOFI at least put the discs in protective sleeves (inside of the mini-lp) so that the discs don't get scratched?

5. pentrant

pentrant Forum Resident

Yes, they do. I like the look and feel of the Mini-lps, but am afraid they'll get dinged up over time.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

You need to do what I do - buy some resealable plastic sleeves to cover them.
    I need about 500 of them right now, in varying sizes!!!! Ack!

7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I agree 100%.

But I kind of doubt the dual packaging thing will happen, not enough quantity of each format to justify it.

So I relented and bought a few of the mini LP sleeve titles. Didn't want to miss out on the music on the discs

They are kind of retro but a different size than every other disc I've got so they don't fit anywhere.

8. mwheelerk

They do and I also buy the outer protective re-sealable plastic sleeves for the case itself. For the other mini LP CDs I have like the Rhino that do not have a protective sleeve for the CD itself I have purchased those also. They are not expensive and really work well. I even use them on other types of CD packaging that are not mini LP type like recent Neil Young live CDs that only have a cardboard slot for the CD.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I prefer the lift-lock cases, but have gotten used to the mini-LP format. I like the fact that each one is numbered.

10. For those buying re-sealable plastic sleeves, do you have a preferred brand/style? I've tried a bunch and have had the best luck with the clear (versus slightly cloudy) cello type sleeves that have the sticky strip on the body and not on the flap - but I can't recall where I got my last batch :(

-s1m0n-

11. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I got some pretty nice re-sealable sleeves awhile ago from Elusive Disc:
    https://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=1439

They're clear with the sticky strip on the sleeve, not the flap. The Mini LP size is perfect for the new MoFi discs.

Speaking of MoFi...I picked up some Lift-Lock jewel cases on eBay recently, and I paid considerably more than Rubberdisc is charging. Are these guys for real? $18 for 12 cases almost sounds like it's too good to be true. Has anyone here ever ordered from them?

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Those are great prices, if the cases arrive intact (very fragile, as we all know).

When buying resealable sleeves, try to make sure that the adhesive is on the sleeve, not the flap. If it is on the flap, you risk damaging obis, digipaks and paper slipcases.

13. Thanks for that link Jim, think I'll get some of those.

-s1m0n-

14. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

I personally prefer jewel cases to the mini lp style. They are easier to store and offer more protection than a cardboard sleeve. I will still buy new MoFi titles in the mini lp format, (I love the new Rush one) but if MoFi can't get the lift locks anymore, I wish they'd just use regular jewel cases which are readily available. Or as a previous post mentioned, offer both formats.

15. Dave C

Dave C Forum Resident

I sent an e-mail to Rubberdisc asking if they are still available.

16. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

17. mwheelerk

Let me know the reply you receive. I kind of wondered when I found the link if this was current or not. If it is I will probably buy a dozen or two for back-up and to replace battered one for MFSL or DCC I may pick up used.

18. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

If you've seen both styles, this is so obvious. What ***** decided it was a good idea to put the sticky strip on the flap? Even with plastic jewel cases, where damage is not a risk, it's just too much work fighting with the sticky flap. Sheesh.

19. A.G. Pennypacker

I received a pack of them over the weekend, and they're the real deal. A couple were damaged though, so I'll have to ask for replacements. Great packaging too.

20. mwheelerk

I placed an order this weekend. I wonder what the deal was with MoFi saying the manufacturer was no longer making them and this was the reason for their switching to the mini LP CD format.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I never had the problems that many have stated with the liftlock...actually, it's my favorite type of CD jewel case.
    I like to look at the mini LP's but prefer the plastic better...

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Has anyone ordered these? I'm curious about their quality. Are they as well made as the old ones, or are they like most modern jewel cases, light and flimsy, only with the lift-lock mechanism?

23. A.G. Pennypacker

I think these might just be new old stock, since none of the usual suspects seem to have them (Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc). That's all I can figure at the moment.

24. A.G. Pennypacker

They seem to be made just as well as the old ones to me. They latch pretty well, and seem just as sturdy as the lift-locks of the 90's.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks, AG. Were they packaged safely, and did they all arrive without damage?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.