Lighthouse

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raunchy, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raunchy

raunchy New Member Thread Starter

No, not Lifehouse (though I would love to talk about that too!) I've heard "One Fine Morning", "Sunny Days", and "Pretty Lady" by these guys on the radio, I'm just wondering what albums/songs are worth listening to?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Great band. I have a nice comp and Lighthouse Live on CD.:cheers:

Dave likes this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Get the "Sunny Days Again" CD which features remixes but they were done with care by band members. It has all the hits and sounds nice. There is also a remixed Lighthouse Live.

I bet these are the same 2 Dennis is referring to.

http://www.amazon.ca/Best-Lighthous...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223438619&sr=8-1

Best Songs IMO
    One Fine Morning
    Sunny Days
    Pretty Lady
    Can You feel It
    Broken Guitar Blues
    Sweet Lullabye

Dave likes this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

I was always very partial to "Little Kind Words" ... I'm not fussed about the rest and I've heard them too many times (due to Cancon) unfortunately. Your results obviously may vary!

5. Dennis Metz

You are correct!:cheers:

6. eelkiller

Good stuff, I am ashamed to say I am old enough to mention that they played at my high school in Richmond Hill. They were incredible.

7. Dennis Metz

That would have been something to see. I don't think they made it down to Windsor!:cheers:

8. eelkiller

Fans of Chicago (early stuff not the David Foster produced ****) and B.S.& T who have not heard these guys should check out some of their stuff. It just might be right up their alley. :)

The only full album from the early days on CD is Sunny Days which was released by Edsel in 2000 or 2001 IIRC. Vinyl is the way to go for the other stuff.

SuddenSam likes this.
  9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan but I have their first self titled album and One Fine Morning on vinyl. I prefer the first album over One Fine Morning. The first album has some good fuzz guitar from what I remember. I haven't spun any of their stuff since the 90's though.

Anthony

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

11. eelkiller

Original mix - It is on the "Have a Nice Day" Rhino series but it does not sound as good (IMO of course).

I actually posted that I did not like the remixes when I bought the CD in 2006 but hey a fellow can change his mind can't he.

There was a Repertoire CD a while back of the One Fine Morning LP but I don't remember what the reviews were for that one.

12. Dennis Metz

13. eelkiller

14. raunchy

raunchy New Member Thread Starter

Yeah they sound very chicago cta-era to me . I like !

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

16. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Love the Lighthouse

I've seen them many times in concert. (Ontario Place 1970's)
    Fave two tracks or two tracks that make it to too many of my CDR comps. Hats Off To The Stranger & 1849.

:agree: If you love early Chicago you will like Lighthouse.

17. luckyman

luckyman Forum Resident

Time to break out Lighthouse Live on vinyl. Another great album I haven't heard in a while.

Bingo Bongo and gregorya like this.
  18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

19. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I saw them open for Jefferson Airplane in late 1969 at The University of Pennsylvania's Pallestra.

20. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

Another great Canadian Rock Band! Saw them about 4 yeras ago in a summer concert. They put on a great show even had a 3 piece brass section. Bob McBride RIP!

21. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Ralph Cole, their guitarist, is my neighbour and friend!
    A wonderful man and a great guitar player.
    We've had many a great "chin wag" over a drink or two about his heyday in Lighthouse and the guys he's seen and met!

One Fine Morning (the album) was a Canadian "classic"; they were our B S & T or Chicago if you will.

Dave likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ever ask him why all their music isn't on CD yet?

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Great group and great albums. I have all of them on vinyl and the Sunny Days Again disc. Since I am used to hearing the original version of One Fine Morning from the vinyl, I was not thrilled with the remixed version on the CD.

Usually, their vinyl albums can be found in used record stores for reasonable prices.

beccabear67 likes this.
  24. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Yes, and I don't remember what he told me, but I think it has something to do with them not owning the rights any longer (or True North, the indie label that released "Live" and re-issued "Sunny Days Again", are not interested in putting out One Fine Morning, Thoughts Of Movin' On or Sunny Days which were on GRT Records here) The early 3 albums on RCA will never see the light of day on CD.

It's strange that the album One Fine Morning isn't available on CD as it was their strongest effort overall and a real favourite here when it came out; everyone loved that album!

25. eelkiller

That is identical to the one I linked to earlier Renny. :righton: It seems to be love/hate with this one, no middle ground on opinions. I myself was disappointed in it at first but have changed my tune in the past couple years. I am going to try the import Sunny Days disc to see how it compares.

It was available on a Euro label but it is OOP now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.