Lighthouse

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raunchy, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

I saw Lighthouse at my first ever rock concert back in 1971 at the concert hall at the University here. :goodie:

As I recall, Sha-Na-Na opened. I have some slides here somewhere that I took at that show.

I saw them at another time and Chilliwack opened then, around the time that the album came out on Parrot that had "Raino".

Lighthouse played at the bandshell in the centre of town here for a Canada Day concert celebration back in the early 90's with a singer who did a pretty fair job covering Bob McBride.

I'd love to get a good sounding set of their music as my GRT vinyl sets sound a bit thin.

2. tps

tps Forum Resident

Maybe I'll have to see if I can find my LP with "One Fine Morning". I have loved the song since it came out, but I was very disapointed in the sound quality of "One Fine Morning" on the Rhino "Super Hits of the '70s Have a Nice Day Vol 6". Sounds very compressed to me on the Rhino comp CD. SQ aside Vol 6 has some killer tracks! Besides Lighthouse, there's the mono mix of "Signs" from the 5 Man Electrical Band (including the instrumental part at the beginning) and the Rupert Holmes penned track "Timothy" from the Buoys.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

try the denon mentioned CD above. it's not very expensive and sounds pretty good to me.

renny

Dave likes this.
  4. Joe31956

Joe31956 New Member

Suuny Days CD at amazon

They have Sunny Days cd import version at Amazon, I'm talking about the studio album not the compilation Sunny Days Again. Now when I had this particular album on vinyl in 1972 I thought Take It Slow (Out In The Country) was the 1st track followed by Sunny Days. This import has Silver Bird first, then Sunny Days. I remember Silver Bird but I thought that was on another CD. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.

Joe from PA

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Take it Slow was from an earlier Canadian LP Joe (Thoughts of Movin' On). Is it possible that the USA LP was different than Canada's. Perhaps they picked and chose some earlier tracks from the early LP's??

I have also noticed a seller in Greece listing Can You Feel It on CD. As far as I know it has never been released on disc before so I am wondering if these listings are on the shady side :)

6. Joe31956

Joe31956 New Member

Thanks for the fast reply Barry. Yes I recall Thoughts Of Movin On (at least that title if not the other tracks). It's funny, I mentioned Silver Bird before, I havent heard that played in almost 40 yrs but can still hear it in my head. It stayed with me, a great tune. As far as Canadian bands go, I was also a big fan of the Guess Who and wish their stuff was more readily available too.

Joe

7. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

Wasn't Howard Shore in that band too?

8. eelkiller

9. eelkiller

I just noticed that the picture of the back of the True North Sunny Days Again credits James Rohr with the mastering. This is the same name on my Lighthouse Live disc on the same label.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3850863&postcount=16

My Denon Sunny Days Again disc has Clive Alan listed for mastering.

It looks as if are 2 different masterings of the Lighthouse Canadian manufactured CD's. :eek: (The Denon's from 1989 and the 1998 True North discs)

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Dave likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'd love to see Iconoclassic do these

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I have the minis and think they sound fine

14. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Yeah, I have that one on vinyl and it sounds superb. With someone like SH at the controls I bet it would be fantastic on CD as well. A good project for AF maybe.

Dave likes this.
  15. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Saw them live early on after their firdst or 2nd relelase. Their version of Chest Fever was a killer. Why hasn't the RCA material been rereleased?

16. FrontalLobe

FrontalLobe New Member

"One Fine Morning" is a great song and the only one to receive airplay on my local AOR station when I was young.

17. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

I love "Hanging by a moment"....just kidding....yeah, I enjoy Lighthouse and do recommend them as others have said to fans of early Chicago and BST

18. eelkiller

The Mini LP's that Dennis has sound interesting however those 3 albums were on a different label than One Fine Morning, Sunny Days etc. My bet is that all we will get are the first three. I hope I am wrong.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'll betcha they also played "Sunny Days." Not technically a hit single buit a higger hit as far as FM readio was concerned.

20. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Looks like they are. Just saw the self-titled debut on Wounded Bird at my local store, Sunrise Sheppard next door so I'm going back to grab one.

Also available here:

http://www.amazon.ca/Lighthouse-bon...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1339857342&sr=1-1

Don't know if Wounded Bird have plans to issue any other titles as their site only refers to the S/T issue per above.

21. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

The Wounded Bird reissue of the debut includes as a bonus the first single (2 sides) - unusual for them to have bonuses!

The music is great of course! Hopefully there'll be more!

Trevor_Bartram likes this.
  22. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

23. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Saw them during the RCA years. Their version of Chest Fever and 8 Miles High were great. Looking forward to the release. It's about time!

24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

How is the sound quality on the Wounded Bird?
    Would love to read a comparison between it and the Japanese mini LP.

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

In addition to those two songs, a few others got pretty frequent airplay up here as well... "Hats Off to the Stranger", "Broken Guitar Blues", and "Pretty Lady".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.