Lighthouse

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raunchy, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I eventually bought the Japanese versions (on the Vivid Sound label) of their first 3 albums.
    The sound and packaging are great.

The Korean versions on Beatball are cheaper and from what I can tell are identical to the Japanese.
    The discs themselves carry the Beatball and Bandiera logos. I think the only difference is the Obi.
    Luckily I managed to get the Vivid versions at a good price, about $25 each, but anyone wanting these should probably save the money and get the Koreans.

2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Would a domestic box set of their entire catalogue be that impossible for the "powers-that-be" to make available?

3. smiths

smiths New Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    eelkiller likes this.
  4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've got the Sunny Days Again comp, it's all the Lighthouse I'll ever need! :)

5. dance_hall_keeper

Nice article about Mr. Prokop's retirement from the London Free Press website;
    Q&A at the end of the article is also very enlightening.

Daryl M and tootull like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i've often wondered why 'one fine morning" album has never been readily available in the US. it sold quite a lot of copies back in the day if i'm not mistaken.

7. dance_hall_keeper

Because of the aforementioned article in the Freep and thinking about Mr. Prokop, I can't get "Pretty Lady" out of my head.
    This is a good thing!

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I used to have to go to Troy and Hillsdale MI on business in the 90's. I would hunt for a decent radio station in my rental and 2 or 3 times when I was out there I heard Pretty Lady. Did not believe the dj when he said it was Lighthouse. This guy cannot sing--can't be the same band. Eventually, I decided to satisfy my curiosity and see if it was true. Yep, it was. Really a great song, weakened by poor singing. Someone told me the song was big in the Midwest. I never heard it in the 70's.

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Compared with the last time I looked there seem to be a few of the albums available on cd now. It was such a popular group.

Amazon.ca: lighthouse: Music »

10. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Thoughts of Of Movin On/One Fine Morning/Lighthouse Live should be in every Chicago/BS+T/Chase fans collections. One of my Fave bands from early 70's. Sad they didn't get more recognition.

11. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Yes, their 1972 Live album recorded at Carnegie Hall is well worth it if you can find it... includes an extended cover of "Eight Miles High"

13. dance_hall_keeper

"Pretty Lady" - Skip Prokop, from the album Smoothside.
    I can't find the hold-over track from Deja Vu's first album on YouTube, Song
    For Everyone
    , produced by Skip Prokop which was a cover version of his
    old Lighthouse hit "Pretty Lady".
    I have heard it and it's good.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  14. dance_hall_keeper

For the first time since I bought the album (what... it's only been since 1998!), I read the band biography side of the sleeve of The Best of Lighthouse: Sunny Days Again.
    I read that Mr. Prokop played on the Al Kooper/Mike Bloomfield follow-up to Super Session.
    As I don't own the album, Wikipedia confirms it.
    Sure enough, he played on The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper, from 1969.
    Learning something new every day.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Prog Temple is the label, anyone know anything about them?

16. eelkiller

Looking at a couple other forums it appears that Prog Temple is a pirate label with mixed results for the product. I am going to stay away from these for now, one review on Amazon for the new One Fine Morning is very harsh, comparing it to a cassette. :)

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The Japanese version (Blu-spec?) of OFM is very good.

18. eelkiller

It is, I have it as well as the Repertoire. It is Thoughts of Movin' On that had me intrigued, it had never been issued on CD

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This version is in fact more extended than the one on the album!

gregorya likes this.
  20. eelkiller

I had mentioned before there are two different CD's for Lighthouse Live, I found the earlier disc today in a used bin.
    First edition -Denon Canada 1991 CAN 9010
    Remaster - True North Canada 1998 Cat. number TNMD 0174

They are definitely different masterings, the earlier disc sounds nicer IMO. Both are remixes (like the Sunny Days Again CD) so some people will be turned off when they read the credits.

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I only know One Fine Morning, but what a great tune!

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It also seems that both have extended versions of some tunes, but not the SAME tunes. Very confusing.

23. eelkiller

Interesting bRETT, I thought they just hacked off some between song crowd noises, I know they added the intro to I Just Wanna Be Your Friend so it runs 32 seconds longer on the old disc. I will have to run the discs side by side when I get time. :)

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

great song, but the man can't sing

25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

This got a fair amount of airplay in Canada too, "You Girl"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.