Linda Ronstadt - Just One Look

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bruce of oz, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruce of oz

bruce of oz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any thoughts on the new triple vinyl, SQ and source, compilation from Rhino?

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Was just wondering why I haven't heard anything about this and did a search. Can't believe no one has this. I got mine on vinyl on release day. It sounds wonderful. Three records, all pressed beautifully and even the old tracks sound great. I love the interesting track list. One of my favorites is Heartbeats Accelerating, which I never thought I would ever hear on vinyl. They did an excellent job compiling the songs, focusing on different eras without staying too long on one, but still including most of her major hits. They wisely stayed away from the classical and mexican albums, probably appropriate for a more hits kind of album. I was very disappointed with the MFSL issue of Prisoner in Disguise, so it was nice to get this and enjoy almost all the tracks, and the sound quality. If you are a Ronstadt fan, I wouldn't hesitate to pick this up.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  3. benm1976

benm1976 Well-Known Member

I got this as a Christmas gift and was extremely impressed with the sound quality...even the "harshness" that's always ruined Different Drum for me is gone. I do wish one whole side hadn't been dedicated to Simple Dreams, and I think the packaging could've been nicer for a 3-LP set, but the sound is above and beyond my expectations.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, the packaging is sure on the cheap! All three lps packed in one slot. But, it's great where it counts...great pressings and sound. Overall I like the track list...couldn't have been easy. They tried to fit a lot in for the different periods. They did concentrate a bit heavily on the Simple Dreams era but that would probably please others. I am surprised more people haven't purchased and/or commented on this great set.

WhatDoIKnow and benm1976 like this.
  5. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

LOved during this period

6. bruce of oz

bruce of oz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks like I'm in for this. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jrr and benm1976 like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Forgot to mention that I am not real happy with the job MFSL did on the Ronstadt titles, a rare mistep imo. Unless you get lucky and find original nice copies, which given the poor general quality of vinyl on the Asylum label back in the day, this is likely the best way to hear her sounding the best it can on vinyl. Hope you enjoy it!

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  8. benm1976

benm1976 Well-Known Member

I have the four albums MFSL put out on vinyl. I'm generally happy with them, although I'm sure they could sound better. They don't sound as "open" and fresh as the Just One Look vinyl, though.

I see that Analogue Productions is putting out a 45 RPM of "Simple Dreams." I am curious as to how it will compare to the MFSL, but I probably won't want to spend the money it will cost, plus I'm not a big fan of 45 RPM titles. I guess I'm too lazy.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I suspect that the reason for the general lack of interest is that many on this Forum own most of the tracks in numerous configurations. There are the original albums and past greatest hits collections on WEA vinyl and CD's, DCC vinyl and CD's and MFSL vinyl and CD's. And, all of them sound pretty good. So, for many, this set is a bit superfluous.

10. Caveman67

Caveman67 Member

I compared their song samples of the new 2015 re-mastered versions against the old ones and I thought the re-masters were too bright sounding. While I am a big Ronstadt fan and have always had issues with the way a lot of her stuff was recorded, I thought the re-masters didn't help at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.