Linda Ronstadt on MoFi

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DEAN OF ROCK, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member Thread Starter

What titles have been released to date?
    Any other titles in the pipeline?

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

5. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Note that Simple Dreams on gold CD is priced $10 over the list price, meaning it is about to become scarce.

:wave:

6. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Of those, I only have "Simple Dreams" on MoFi vinyl. I opted out of the others due to some bad user reviews. Simple Dreams is okay, but it's not as great sonically as I thought it would be. I was expecting a supercharged "Heart Like A Wheel"-type sound, which is outstanding on the original Bernie Grundman-mastered vinyl, but it's not. (I know this is apples to oranges, and I don't have a great copy of the original Simple Dreams to compare.) It's a little soft around the edges or something. Part of the problem I'm guessing has to do with the 1970's studio obsession with using the nasty Aphex Aural Exciter, which is advertised as being used on Simple Dreams, and which at least partly compromised the sound on some great albums. It seemed to become a "thing" around Asylum artists like Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne. I'd say find a great original for $2 and you'll have it as good as its going to get. Great album, musically.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the MOFI, "Don't Cry Now", sounds good to me. Beautiful analog sound with very easy listening.

Hershiser likes this.
  8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I have all of Mofi Ronstadt on Lp and CD. I found them to be only marginally better than the originals. I think the use of the the 'Aphex Aural Exciter' may be the main problem. IIRC it was used on the Asylum albums "Hasten Down the Wind', 'Prisoner In Disguise' and 'Simple Dreams'. And IIRC from previous discussions on this topic the effects are there on the master tapes permanently.

GreatTone likes this.
  9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Listening to sound samples at Acoustic Sounds from this album, it sounds exceptionally good. I wonder if this album escaped the aural exciter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.