Linda Ronstadt remastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cnath, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cnath

cnath Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi,

A question for anyone who might have some info on this...Was in a CD store
    earlier today - looked at a used copy of Linda Ronstadt's "Prisoner in Disguise".The
    cover art was the same one that's always been out in stores, but the disc had an RE-1 on
    the inner ring, and the strange thing was, the disc had the HDCD logo on it. Has this
    disc always been encoded with HDCD? I'm thinking I remembered the Rondstadt box
    set that came out might have been HDCD encoded. Did I just miss this before, or have
    Linda's CDs been remastered quietly sometime recently ? (The Ronstadt CD I do have,
    "Living in the USA" has no RE-1 or HDCD) Would appreciate it if someone knows anything
    about this,

Thanks,

Chip

2. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Both of the cds you have mentioned I own and mine are exactly the same as the cds you have listed. I bought both titles new within the last 2 years. Not sure about any previous cd releases though...

3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have never seen Ronstadt HDCD Cd's. Do they really exist?

4. easyge

easyge Senior Member

The only HDCD Ronstadt in my collection is Prisoner In Disquise.

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

So is this (Prisoner HDCD) the version that is currently in print?

6. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Should be as I have had my copy for maybe 2 years. Bought it at BBC on a Ronstadt binge...

Funny though as I cannot say about the sound quality. Been too long since I played it.

7. 1967

1967 New Member

Simple Dreams been remastered?

8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Does the Prisioner pachaginf have the HDCD on it, or just the disc itself? I want to buy this, but how can I sell w/o opening it???

9. cnath

cnath Senior Member Thread Starter

The copy I looked at only had the HDCD logo on the disc itself...partly why I was so
    surprised..I guess you could look for a used copy - I see you're in Nashville..I've
    seen the disc in Great Escape( the one I wrote about) and Phonolux within the past year ( I can let you know if I see one again, if you'd like..)

Cnath

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Has anyone else bought this disc new recently....and found that it is HDCD?

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

This is news to me..I'll be checking this out tomorrow

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Can anyone answer this???

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is the new 2-disc capitol best of HDCD?

renny

14. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Not unless it was done later. The early pressings of the box set were not HDCD.

No

I'd also like to know when this became an HDCD encoded CD, and any details about the packaging that might give a hint about the disc. Also would like to know if any other Ronstadt CDs from this era are scheduled for changes...thanks.

15. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Still looking for a definitive answer if the current new Prisoner CD is HDCD or not......

16. I know that some of the Elektra titles are remastered in HDCD, and not mentioned as such on the outer packaging. I ran across a couple of Carly Simon CD's that say HDCD on the CD, but there is no mention of it on the outside packaging. So you wouldn't know until you opened up the CD.

17. mickeyfrith

mickeyfrith Forum Resident

Which Carly discs are these? The ones I have (No Secrets and Boys in the Trees) both have HDCD on the back cover and disc.

18. mickeyfrith

As far as I know it is. Here's a scan of the disc I bought...oh, I'd say maybe six or seven years ago. There's nothing on the outside packaging indicating that it's HDCD, only on the disc itself.

[​IMG]

19. This should answer all questions.

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

i don't see the scan....

21. mickeyfrith

??? Is anyone else having this problem? It's showing up fine for me. rpdugan, write me privately if you like, and I'll send you a jpeg.

22. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

I downloaded Mickey's scan soon after it was posted so I could enlarge and flip the image in order to read the inner ring info better. The original posted image seems to have disappeared. I've uploaded 3 images for comparison...Mickey's HDCD image; my 1987 disc; an excerpt from the 1987 booklet.

Questions:

Mickey, will you check the booklet from your HDCD and confirm if it has the same mastering credit as the 1987 booklet? thanks.

Does anyone have both versions? If so, will a non-HDCD player show any difference in sound between the two versions?

Does anyone know of any other Elektra/Asylum remastered Ronstadt CD's? IOW, besides Steve's DCC remasters of both Greatest Hits, The new Capitol Years, the DVD-A of What's New, and the HDCD of Prisoner In Disguise ...are there any more remastered Linda Ronstadt CDs?

Attached Files:

23. mickeyfrith

What's weird is that the image will show up if I use Firefox but not if I use Internet Explorer. I guess in the future I'll just upload images to my Comcast Web space; that way they should show up no matter which browser is used.

I did, and the credits read exactly the same as yours.

I used to have the non-remastered version. When I bought the remastered version, I A-B'd (is that how you spell it???) them back and forth and noticed a definite sound difference. The remastered version sounds crisper. (I don't have an HDCD player, so I was just going by what my ears could detect.)

I'm not aware of any others, which is really surprising. Her entire 70's catalog should have been remastered by now, especially considering that other Elektra artists from that time period (like Jackson Browne) have seen nearly their entire catalog remastered. The most frustrating thing about the Jackson Browne remasters is that there is NOTHING on the artwork or the disc itself indicating that it's remastered---only a sticker on the outside plastic, which of course gets discarded when you open it. (Maybe that's changed now, but that certainly was the case years back when they remastered much of his catalog.)

24. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Thanks, guess I'll have to get the HDCD version.

Regarding your scan...I saw it (and Scott's quote of it) with Firefox 1.5 for about an hour after it was posted, then it was gone. My download manager tells me it was located at this location, but now there's nothing there. Is it possible you are reading it from the Firefox cache? Just guessing.

25. mickeyfrith

I honestly don't have a clue. I uploaded the pic into my Yahoo briefcase. I didn't delete it or make any changes to it at all after that, so who knows? Oh well, I'll just use my Comcast personal Web pages from now on. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.