Linda Ronstadt: Why Isn't "Long Long Time" on Hi-Res?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by labjr, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labjr

labjr Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder why "Long Long Time" isn't in any of the Linda Ronstadt hi-res collections. Was her first hit as a solo artist. I've noticed other artists collections seem to be missing songs too.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Vague thread title.

"Long Long Time" is on Greatest Hits. Pick up the DCC for best results.

audiomixer, zebop and EdogawaRampo like this.
  3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Great thread title.

Mazzy and ptijerm like this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

On my DCC vinyl, Long Long Time sounds better than I've ever heard it elsewhere.

What I'd really like to hear in audiophile quality is Rock Me On The Water.

millbend, Subvet and rxcory like this.
  5. labjr

I guess curiosity makes everyone click to see what the thread is about :)

She released eight albums in the 70's but only five are in the collection. I'd like to know why HDtracks calls it "70's Complete" Should be titled "70's Incomplete but don't blame us. We get what they send us! BTW, did we tell you we have the greatest sounding downloads? "

The song is missing from both "Greatest Hits" and "Just One Look : Classic Linda Ronstadt" but "Different Drum" is on both which technically was the Stone Ponies. However, the Chaka Khan Collection has nothing from Rufus in it?

6. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The new 2-CD Just One Look collection is missing a number of Ronstadt songs, including "Long, Long Time". But it does have five tracks from Get Closer, which I really hope is mastered by our host (along with Mad Love) one day.

Elton likes this.
  7. labjr

I wish labels would just let the boutique mastering guys to do all the work for downloads instead of the nonsense that's being released.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Nothing wrong with the original CDs of those two.

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It's also against forum guidelines. On behalf of the entire staff, I ask that you please use a clear thread title next time. Thank you. (I see a staffer has changed your title, by the way.)

10. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

IMO the answer to the OP question is quite simple: her early catalog was on Capitol, she moved to Asylum in 1973.

Larry Geller likes this.
  11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Elektra did have it on the Greatest Hits LP, Maybe Capitol got stingy with the rights later. It's not available for preview on Wiki either. Of course at least one of her songs got released on both labels " Silver Threads" comes to mind. I'm not sure if I would prefer the big lush later sound of most of her Asylum records over the simple mix of the Capitol stuff for that song anyway.

12. labjr

Part of her albums still is NOT "Complete 70's"

"When Will I be Loved" from "Heart Like a Wheel" (Capitol 1974) , which was a big hit, is missing from both "The Greatest Hits" and "Just One Look" but "You're No Good" from the same album is on both. Stone Poneys albums were on Capitol.

13. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I am not sure what you are saying.

Compilations routinely add/subtract tracks - sometimes licensing is an issue in one market or worldwide. (Elton John: Greatest Hits Volume II MCA LP/CD had "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart". These were replaced on the early Polydor CDs, then Elton's catalogue came under the Universal Music umbrella. But I digress).

Sometimes it is the personal preferences of the person who assembled the compilation, sometimes it is space, sometimes the artist dislikes the song. Sometimes it can be that a song sounds too similar to another track. If a new compilation has all the same tracks as a previous issue - why bother? Some major retailers won't stock items that are older than X years.

A trivial little laugh for ya: many, many years ago Radio Shack issued an audiophile vinyl compilation. Amongst the tracks: Linda Ronstadt "Long Long Time". That is where I first recall hearing it.

14. labjr

I don't think anyone would interpret "70's Complete Collection" for meaning anything other than ALL of her 70's albums. Not some of them.

BTW "Long Long Time" was a major hit according to various sources and earned Linda a Grammy award.

As far as compilations go, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the person's preferences who's assembling the compilation. It's probably executive decisions from the label based on what makes them the most revenue. Most times the artist has no say whatsoever. They obviously could care less about what the consumer wants because they omit so many tracks and upsample from 16/44 files etc. They don't seem to allow good engineers to the digital transfers for downloads.

How is hi-res going survive when nobody in the industry cares what they are serving up to consumers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.