Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal from Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I feel that they are completely different bands and not really comparable. Peter Green's FM was a blues band. The Rumors version was more of a mainstream rock band. Different music for different times.
    I actually prefer "Tusk" to any of their other stuff but feel that LB, CM and SN never made a bad album.

2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I said sole producer, not "individually named".
    Regardless, you assertion is incorrect:

Tusk
    Mirage
    Tango
    Co-produced with Richard Dashut
    The Dance
    Co-produced with Elliot Scheiner
    ...and the other clunkers is irrelevant, because it's not really a FM album.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Lindsey is the first credited producer of Mirage, and there is a “special thanks to Lindsey Buckingham” credit on Tusk, which basically meant “you did the most to produce this but we’re uncomfortable separating you out from the rest of the band.”

4. padreken

padreken Senior Member

My wife and I saw Lindsey in San Diego last Saturday and it was an incredibly passionate and intense performance. We were quite blown away.

limoges, raphph, theMess and 3 others like this.
  5. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

6. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

100% this. They have something that the other lacks. Lindsey is no slouch with the pen, but he's not even close to Christine or Stevie at creating a palatable, cohesive song from start to finish. That's something he can do on occasion but the other two, particularly Christine, can do almost every single time. And to that same end, Lindsey has them beat in spades in terms of production and sussing out the best qualities of a song. And we see this even in their solo work, for example on The Wild Heart, where Stevie's melodies and vocals shine but production takes an extreme nosedive.

That's called conjecture. We don't know who exactly kicked Lindsey out of the band.

steelinYaThighs and DTK like this.
  7. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Exactly. But, I'll guess (without Lindsey's vote) it was a 2 to 2 decision. Mick & Stevie vs the silent McVies. Guess who wins.
    For those who have watched the MusiCares Award tape (which is a hoot), it's pretty obvious that Mick was the ignition.
    You have to love Christine for checking her watch, I almost lost it right there. Actually, Lindsey just looks like a standerby.
    Mick & Chris are dancing "as time goes by." Stevie has never been known for her brevity! On and on, and beyonder. By now, I'd smirk too.
    Wake me up when she's over. "Rhiannon, will you ever win?"
    Lindsey's defense: Stevie loves to talk.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  8. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

I’m guessing the McVies voted “whatever makes the most money”.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Two points of note regarding the choices made. Firstly the last incarnation of FM minus Nicks was pretty much a commercial flop in the 90s. Actually I didn't realise it existed until I saw a later documentary. Just assumed they were inactive or maybe I was more interested in contemporary music at the time. Secondly Nicks does not need LB as proved by her successful solo career. I think Tom Petty and Mike Campbell might have been more of an influence there initially. Stevie has long had issues with LB over physical and mental mistreatment. Perhaps that eventually influenced the current situation. So given a choice between one or the other in purely commercial terms they stuck with Nicks. It's not a great situation and I do think legally LB has a case based on verbal agreements. I think this one will be settled out of court. You never know but he may be back for 2019 European dates. The band is probably still worth seeing especially if this turns out to be the last tour but depending on ticket prices.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Perfect summation on the collaborative nature of the band.

11. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

B-I-N-G-O. "Mick, you do it, John and I don't want to dirty our hands. Oh, and say 'she' did it, 'cause she's a WITCH!."

[A case of the play, being played out, before it has been written.]

12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Coming soon: FLEETWOOD MAC - THE OPERA

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Peters original band started out as a blues band but they developed way beyond that. Is Albatross, Man Of The World and Green Manalishi blues?
    Sounds like someone hasn't paid attention.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Until Fleetwood Mac can go on a tour where it's just the five of them playing, I'm not really that interested anyway. I have no need to see "Fleetwood Mac" play a "concert" that is really being played by an army of anonymous backup musicians hiding in the shadows. Buckingham still plays a mean guitar, though.

15. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

I agree with this. Can't deny their popularity but to me they are just a band that had some nice pop hits in the 70's -early 80's. It's kind of surprising to me that people think of LB as some kind of great musical genius. That said, it's a shame to see them go out like this.

PRW94 likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I swear, some of these old acts like Fleetwood Mac, CSNY, probably others, even at their advanced ages, it seems like none of these guys and gals ever grew up in the first place! Seventy physically, seven mentally:laugh::shake:

17. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

This. The sad reality is that none of them, except maybe Buckingham, still has the stamina or ability to pull that off. They’re trying to be something they aren’t.

18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Make that, "The Soap Opera"

;)

19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

that's for tv. The Opera will be a 10 disc box set that covers every bit of drama since day 1.

theMess and gregorya like this.
  20. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

That's why I expressed my concern about them being up to a 55-date tour. Somebody countered that Elton John is doing a longer one, but we're not just talking apples and oranges there, we're talking apples and persimmons .

21. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Seems like all the old classic bands are bickering and fighting like crotchy old geezers. So much for mellowing out in old age?

Fleetwood Mac, CSNY, Yes, Journey, Styx......all these bands just moaning and groaning about each other and kicking out key members.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nice version of hell. I work as a lawyer to subsidize my individual musical activities. I consider my life wonderful. It would be even more wonderful if I could tour as part of FM to subsidize my individual musical activities.

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Lindsey was an integral part of what turned a highly respected underground album-oriented band into a megahit machine, but their hitmaking days are behind them. The music industry moguls who have wrested the control away from the artists have mandated that if you're over a certain age, you're too old, and that guitars are outdated. On tour, FM will still draw a big audience without Lindsey but would probably draw an even bigger one with him, so which way do they want to go with this? Bigger crowds or sticking to their present artistic vision? Hopefully they can all come to some sort of resolution.

24. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

If by stunt drummer you mean the one slightly behind and to Mick's left - that's a percussionist - NOT a second drummer. So unless you're saying another drummer is somewhere backstage, completely hidden from view? In the videos posted here check out "Hypnotized" where it would appear that Mick is doing ALL the drumming, since all I see the percussionist doing is playing cymbals. Plus there's that clip where Mike Campbell is singing 'Oh Well' and stops and looks over at/acknowledges Mick who does a drum fill/improv - which is played obviously 100% by him and him alone - and at full volume, so...

I would also submit that Stevie's butchering of the lyrics to 'Free Fallin' stand as pretty good evidence she doesn't use a teleprompter - or if she does, she needs glasses.

25. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

The one thing I've had zero issue with in the concert clips I've seen is Mick's playing. He's been on fire.

Also, a teleprompter is no guarantee you'll get the lyrics right. (It got to the point where it didn't help Sinatra in his dotage.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.