Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal from Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

This FM stuff has gotten boring. Let’s go back to CSNY. Who thinks Buckingham should replace Nash?

2. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

In fairness, it's gotten better as the tour has progressed.

Is it Lindsey? No. And because of that, there's an element that will never be satisfied.

3. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

Just for fun, I looked up the house that Lindsey just sold, I think he did pretty good on his investment (this is all open public record, BTW, anyone who knows where to look can find this info).

He bought the house at 310 N. Carmelina Ave. in L.A. (Brentwood) for $5,800,000 on 12/5/2012 (the home has 5 bedrooms and 9 bathrooms, 10,307 Sq.Ft.)
    He took out a HELOC (home equity line of credit) of $5,000,000 on 7/18/2017
    Sold the house for $19,000,000 (!!!) on 4/17/2018

Not bad, Linds! $13,200,000 profit on the place in less than 6 years. If you take a look at the Google Maps view of the house (mansion, really), and move the image to the left side of the home (past where the For Sale sign is) you'll see a sign that says: Kristen Buckingham, Interiors and Architecture. I guess his wife must have done a bang-up job on this place to add over 13M in value :)

I'd hate to have to pay the tax bill on that, esp. here in CA. Likely that they have a way to shelter the income (tour expenses, losses)?

Doesn't sound like he's hurting too much.

4. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I find it odd that he took out a home equity line of credit. (doesn't sound like he has enough cash.)

steelinYaThighs and SonyTek like this.
  5. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

He also might have known that he'd be selling the place before long and decided to take the money out early (HELOC is cheaper than a cash-out refi). Then pay off the HELOC when the house sells. I doubt many people would want to pay the interest on a $5M HELOC. Also, the HELOC was a variable rate loan, which would make sense if you planned to pay it off early. Why pay more interest than necessary?

steelinYaThighs, gregorya and PDK like this.
  6. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

So where did all end? i just saw the tickets for sale for their show in Toronto. Cheapest tickets are $95+ fees and taxes. Thats pretty crazy for a band that haven't made squat good new music in ages.

john lennonist likes this.
  7. N.T.Wrong

N.T.Wrong Forum Resident

I notice most people commenting on this thread (the first eight pages of it anyway) are blaming Stevie Nicks, and some are calling her a diva.

Maybe that’s true. But Mike Campbell presumably signed onto this gig because he (and Tom) knew Stevie quite well and regarded her as a friend. Maybe fans (outsiders) shouldn’t presume they know what’s going on in private.

As with the breakdown of a marriage, there’s probably blame enough for everyone to deserve a share. And as with the breakdown of a marriage, it’s sad.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

For Mike Campbell, it was probably an easy decision to make. He is between gigs, gets a chance to play with his friends in a legendary band, gets a share of the profits, earns a few million.

9. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

the guy from Crowded House singing LB songs. I would sue too.

10. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

Decades of drama/history + egos, entitlement, and money = hurt feelings and headlines.

11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I think this is 100% IT.

keyXVII, theMess, NunoBento and 4 others like this.
  12. Markarrow

Markarrow Forum Resident

The actual revenge, and it will be a vengeful measure that benefits almost all of us if it does occur, might be when she ramrods her version of the famed Buckingham Nicks album on the public. I have no inside news or visions, much less any visions at all. But I do think that Ms. Nicks definitely wants to walk away from Mr. Buckingham. Settling the Buckingham Nicks reissue conundrum once and for all might be seen as a final, circle-closing, step.

Other threads have detailed the various re-release possibilities far better than I can. But the general rumor has been that Buckingham Nicks is sitting there almost ready to go. I mean, we are finally seeing Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway, so it does seem that everything comes in time...

13. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

But it supposedly is permanent, not an in-between-gigs tour with FM.

"This IS the new lineup of Fleetwood Mac," Fleetwood says. "They're not just passing through. I think one of the reasons we've survived is that we welcome people for who they are, not have them feel they need to be a karaoke copycat or anything. Anyone who's come into this band has been free to be who they are and they've been accepted as such and they've not been trained to, 'You've got to do this, you've got to do that' — and it's the same now."

Fleetwood is certain that once the tour is completed next year the group will hit the studio and make some new music to further establish its place in Fleetwood Mac's long lineage. "I look forward to making music with Mike and Neil. I think we all do," he says. "It isn't right now, but this is a highly creative bunch of people that still have a lot in that bag, in that mojo bag, that I would love to see, and I think we will see some of that over the next couple years or so."

And just to really stick it to Lindsey, there's mention of a new studio album. Now, of course, I get that that is hype regarding pushing the narrative that they are really now part of the band, just just hired guns for the tour.

But I can see Stevie doing a new Fleetwood Mac album out of spite, because she knows that's what will really be the ultimate "F You" to Lindsey and get to him.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  14. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

It makes as much sense as Fleetwood Mac adding that "Don't Dream it's Over" fella....

15. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Mick Fleetwood is full of it.... Everybody knows this line up of Fleetwood Mac is a temporary touring unit.

The_Windmill, wilbuck and PDK like this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I will be surprised if the Campbell/Finn lineup of Fleetwood Mac records a new studio album. I’ll be even more surprised if it’s good.

17. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

They will and it will be. That's what musicians do.

18. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I wont be at all surprised if they record a new album, especially if the tour goes well for them on a personal level. The level of vitriol against Stevie is remarkable, but perhaps the reason it didnt happen before is precisely why it might happen now. Stevie clearly did NOT want to make another record with Lindsey. Whatever your or my feelings about this, or Lindsey's feelings about it, Stevie did not want to make an album with Lindsey. Thats why the Buckingham/McVie album, thats why only the EP, Im not sure why this seems to be hard to understand for some people. The fact that she doesnt like working with Lindsey now, that he is a very difficult person for her to deal with regarding her music, is a perfectly [if unfortunately] reasonable thing - despite what some of the Lindsey fanboys here seem to think. She made it clear that she is getting older and wants the next decade of her life to be fun! Lindsey is clearly NOT included in that category.

Hence, new Fleetwood Mac with no Lindsey. And with no Lindsey, I can easily see Stevie deciding that she loves playing with Mike Campbell and has done for years, clearly likes Neil Finn's music and therefore would be very happy to record new music with them eventually. It may not happen, but the odds are a 100% more positive than they were with Lindsey.

And before there is any confusion, I dont blame this all on Lindsey or anything ridiculous like that. Im sure there is more than enough "blame" to go around. Im a big fan of Lindsey's, Ive met and enjoyed talking to him, Ive seen him live with the Mac on several occasions and Id happily see him solo anytime. The thing is, regarding Fleetwood Mac, none of us count. Only what Stevie and the rest of the band want. Clearly, sadly, that is to move on without Lindsey.

19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I hope the new version records a new album!

20. It's a bit of a step down given that Crowded House is quite a bit better than Fleetwood Mac. (and I absolutely LOVE Buckingham's music)

21. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Campbell/Finn aren't too shabby in the song writing department. If they do record an album and that's a big 'IF' I don't don't have the same reservations. In fact I think it could actually be quite good :hide:

22. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

i think they might be okay. i liked the Rick Vito era of Fleedwood Mac.

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If the recent Buckingham/McVie album was in fact supposed to have been a Fleetwood Mac album, before Stevie backed out, I wonder how many songs Christine has left to bring to the table (and her songs on that album didn’t grab me). Likewise, I wonder what Stevie could or would bring to a new album, since she didn’t want to participate in Buckingham’s recent attempt to record a Fleetwood Mac album, and has reportedly said that recording a new album is a waste of time, or something to that effect, and that she prefers to tour. A new Fleetwood Mac album would sink or swim based on the contributions of McVie and Nicks, in my opinion, not those of the two latest hired guns.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    No Bull likes this.
  24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

:unhunh:

Shak Cohen, willy and No Bull like this.
  25. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

If there was underlying bad blood between Stevie/Lindsey her lack of enthusiasm for a new album could be down to that. New guys, new ideas you never know it could give them a kick so they all up their game.

Technically they aren't hired guns but full time members, but as Lindsey was removed by majority vote I'm not sure how secure that position is. If we stick with them as hired guns I still believe that as both are song writers of the highest calibre they could well surprise us (you more than me!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.