Lindsey Buckingham's last 20 years have been great.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Koabac, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Dude, you are on it. Good info. I hope you are right. I have to say, for some years now, I've been a bigger Lindsey fan than a Mac fan. So I'd be psyched if Fleetwood Mac put out an album I actually like, because I think Mirage and Tango are pretty thin efforts ("Big Love" is a far superior song in its Lindsey solo acoustic form)

willy and Koabac like this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

He's the main reason I like Fleetwood Mac.

markbrow, Rooster_Ties and JimC like this.
  3. Lindsay Buckingham is one of my favorite guitarists of all time (along with Mark Knopfler). I believe his biggest highlight of the past 20 years is this performance of "Come", available on the Live In Boston 2003 CD & DVD. I was stunned the first time that I saw this, and it blows away the studio version from Say You Will. Check out the ending solo that starts at 4:19.

4. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Stevie hates "Come."

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That was awesome. Like Neil Young ferocious when he gets going on an end-of-song solo.

jjm905 likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

JimC likes this.
  7. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Does anybody here own the Lindsey Buckingham Words And Music [A Retrospective] 1992 WB promo CD, which was put out when Out Of The Cradle was released? I picked it up back in '92 and to this day, it's still Lindsey's only GH CD...incredible. I highly recommend tracking down a copy, plus it's got Stephanie from the B/N album.

Brian Frank likes this.
  8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

[place moderator unfriendly dirty joke here]

BluesOvertookMe and Koabac like this.
  9. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I passed on a used copy 4-5 years ago -- too expensive. As someone mentioned earlier, it has "Holiday Road" as well.

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Great to see the Lindsey love, he is truly gifted in many ways as a musician. I've been a fan for 40 years now:)
    I'm super excited at the prospect of a new Mac album, for me they are a supergroup in the sense that each member has a strong musical personality that gels unexpectedly well. They seem to be quite pleased with what they are coming up with, just wish they wouldn't overproduce it to death and just GET IT OUT THERE ALREADY!!

11. I have a download of it. He gives some interesting insight into some of both FM songs and a few of his solo songs. The copy of Stephanie on this release is from a vinyl transfer.

12. Has anyone ever wondered what Tango In The Night would've sounded like if it had been a Lindsey Buckingham solo album (which it was originally meant to be before Warner stepped in and said they wanted another Fleetwood Mac album)? Would it have had the same title? Would some of the songs that appear on the album appeared on the solo album? I think I remember reading that at least both Big Love and Family Man were destined for the original solo project. Maybe all the Buckingham written and sung songs on the album were destined for the original solo album.

13. SoundAdvice

one-off George Harrison cover from US tv aired at the end of 2001.

14. Yup, I've got one too. I worked on-air in radio at the time (CHR FM station, with an AM moldy-oldies sister station -- super-small market, in a town of barley 35,000) -- and got mine straight from the MD's desk of incoming promo CD's

15. I like Tango in the Night quite a bit, but I'd LOVE to hear the Lindsey-only solo versions of as many of those Tango tracks as there are.

Have any Tango demos leaked out??

16. Yep, I've got a whole albums of outtakes, B-sides, demos and 12" mixes from the Tango In The Night sessions. The sound quality is better on some tracks than on others, but they all sound good enough to enjoy. These would probably sound a lot better if they were officially released and remastered from the original tapes, such as in a remastered & expanded version of Tango In The Night which is long overdue.

Remastered & expanded versions of Live (1980) and Mirage (1982) are also well overdue. I've also got an album of outtakes from the Mirage sessions as well. This includes the B-side Cool Water.

All of Fleetwood Mac album from the self-titled album from 1975 to Tango In The Night from 1987 are on HDtracks at 24bit/192kHz and 96kHz in high resolution. They do sound better than the CDs but there is no extra material like there is on the 2004 CD remasters of the self-titled album (1975), Rumours (1977) and Tusk (1979).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Koabac likes this.
  17. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yeah, but his preceding 20 years were even better.

18. SoundAdvice

As far as studio work released after he turned 40, he's easily a top 5 all time artist.

Neil, Cohen, Dylan and Bowie being my other 4.

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Better than what prince has done since he turned 40?

20. SoundAdvice

Prince turned 40 in June 1998. I own those albums, seen him 8 times and can barely name any songs from the past 16 years.

I also left Sir Paul off the list as I don't think much of his mid 80's to present music is career defining work.

21. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

And worth every penny.

JimC likes this.
  22. SoundAdvice

23. nicole21290

nicole21290 Forum Resident

Well, quite. Lindsey did say that she dislikes it (and wouldn't add a vocal to it, IIRC) because she thought fans would think it's about her. The director of Destiny Rules said the two of them actually had a conversation where Lindsey insisted to Stevie that it's not a dirty song. :D

More amusing, to me, was its placement in the setlist for his OMS tour. Stevie, who never ceases bragging about her sequencing skills, must've been pleased...

...'Stephanie', 'Come'...

Also, big up to the specific mention of Love Runs Deeper. Cracking tune. Co-written by his wife (the verses, apparently...) which is amusing in light of the lyrics about black angels, moon, a prophet's pose, and the underground (Stevie is referred to as 'queen of the underground' on the recent EP).

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Me! Got it free from WB:goodie:

25. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled Thread Starter

Oh, I gotta throw Paul Simon, Lou Reed, Nick Cave and Tom Waits in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.