Line (1,2,3) vs CD input in amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Katz, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katz

Katz Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello

I've got a Yamaha R-N803d stereo receiver, and I'm wondering:

What's the difference between the inputs labeled CD and Line (1,2,3).

When using a CD player, does the CD input do anything different than if I'd connect the CD player to say Line 1?

Thanks

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

They are all going to be the same as far as the type and quality of signal they receive.

On this receiver, inputs 2 and 3 also have a corresponding record-out, so a CD player on one of those jacks wastes this function. Input 2 is likely muted on output 2 when it is in use, to prevent feedback.

You may in fact have reasons for connecting the CD player to Line 1, instead of CD - you could then switch between CD (optical input) and Line 1 (analog input) to see if one sounds better.

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

No. There are really only three kinds of inputs on an amp.
    Phono - Only for Phono with amplification and EQ applied
    Passthru - Passes through the input at unity gain (basically bypasses the amp's volume control)
    Line - Everything else (CD, Tuners, streamers, etc)

That's a bit oversimplified, but to the point.

4. CD is only marked up as CD so you don't have to remember which input you plugged the CD player into.
    Inputs 1 to 3 should all be capable of handling CD level signal.

5. Katz

Katz Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks!

I actually still can do it when connected to the CD input - switch from "cd" to optical/coax.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Does your amp have a CD Direct Amp button (my A-S801 does), if so that would be a big reason to use the CD input for the CD player, for that button greatly improves the sound through the CD input.

7. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

If you have the SM for this receiver (not easily found), you can look at the schematic and see that the L1, L2, L3, and CD inputs should be all the same as to how the basic signal is processed. I'm no EE, but I checked the SM when I wanted to have that same question answered for the Tuner input on my now-departed NAD C372.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.