Line Magnetic 518IA Integrated Amp and 502CA DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IanL, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Agree it's frustrating. I have emailed LM now directly. Hopefully they can help out. I've not had any need for the USB connection before, but now when the Tidal masters MQA has been released I need to get it to work.

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

I hope they respond. If they don't, I would email Jonathan Halpern at Tone Imports. If it is a problem for you, then it is probably a problem for a bunch of his dealers and their customers.

Andy Pandy likes this.
  3. james

james Summon The Queen

Selling my 518ia if anyone is interested. One condition, though: you give me the opportunity to buy it back in a few years (just kidding, mostly).

I'll miss that amp. It's the best I've owned and probably the most I'll ever need.

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. IanL

James, I'm curious, is this for musical reasons, or because of other life priorities?

5. james

james Summon The Queen

My daughter was born in March and my time in the sweet spot has gone down drastically, so I'm downsizing for the time being. I employed a solid state Rotel power amp I had laying around and purchased a Mytek Brooklyn DAC/Pre/Phono Pre/Headamp. Reduced box count and it's something I can leave on 24/7 and sneak in an album here and there.

6. Andy Pandy

LM did email me the driver. Great service.

IanL likes this.
  7. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Andy could you pm me the driver or e-mail it to me. [email protected]

I am glad they got back to you quickly. I think a lot of people are going to need this if and when they upgrade to Windows 10.

cheers,

8. Andy Pandy

Done. Please let me know if you don't get it. The file is quite bit.

9. james

james Summon The Queen

Hooked the Mytek Brooklyn up as a preamp for the 518 and put the Snells back in place (setting aside the Rotel amp and Vienna Acoustics speakers).

Very quickly remembered what I like about this amp so much. Not sure I can sell it. The downside is I probably need to bite the bullet and purchase new speakers to have the best of both worlds.

SandAndGlass and IanL like this.
  10. james

james Summon The Queen

knowing very little about circuits:

if I'm using the pre-in option on the 518ia, are the rectifier tubes and preamp tubes doing anything at all? (should I toss some junk tubes in those spots?)

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Interesting question. I think about how stand-alone tube amplifiers have preamp/driver tubes as well, so probably?

12. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

One the 518, yes they are. And I would not put "junk" tubes in.

13. james

james Summon The Queen

interesting, thanks. so the 12AX7's are still influencing the sound? Is it just a passive attenuator in there?

14. GoldprintAudio

Yes, on the 518 the pre tubes are still a factor when using the pre-in input.

SandAndGlass, IanL and james like this.
  15. IanL

I didn't realize this either. Thanks for the info.

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  16. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

how come the 210ia never gets any love? a few years ago demoed the 210 with o96's and really liked it. miss my line magnetic gear and always tempted to get back in.

17. GoldprintAudio

The lower power output of the 210 puts it in a smaller target audience due to limited speaker selections that would truly work well with it....but it is a really nice piece of gear (and at a killer price point).

18. IanL

An update: after over a year of using the 16-ohm taps for my Harbeths, I have switched to the 4-ohm taps. I think I will be leaving it here long-term. The bass grip is even better, and I am no longer noticing any speed loss like I did between the 8- and 16-ohm taps before the amp was fully broken in. Since the Harbeths are 6-ohm designs, it makes sense that the 4-ohm taps would be the best match. I would encourage anybody using a Line Magnetic amp with Harbeths to give the 4-ohm tap a try. Really, I am astonished every day at how incredible this amp sounds.

SandAndGlass, james, JMAC and 4 others like this.
  19. GoldprintAudio

What tubes did you end up staying with? I know you tried quite a few different options.....

20. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I just want to thank you all for the incredibly helpful comments. I just purchased the 518IA from my neighborhood dealer, and currently waiting on delivery. They had a few units finished in all black, so I picked one of those. The comments about NOS tubes are exactly what I was looking for - based on the Stereophile review, I already secured the Bugle Boy 5AR4/GZ34. I took a look at a few NOS 845s, but man, I might as well buy a new amp for that kind of money!

IanL and Rolltide like this.
  21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Isn't our local Line Magnetic dealer just fantastic? Best audio dealer I've ever worked with.

SandAndGlass and wwright like this.
  22. IanL

I did roll quite a few combos through... I ended up long term with the WE845, GE 6L6GC, Mullard 10M 12AX7, and the Philips 5R4GYS rectifier. That particular combo really does it for me.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  23. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

And just ordered two matched Bugle Boy 12AX7s. Thanks again, all.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  24. GoldprintAudio

I might need to take a look for some of the GE 6l6 tubes.

25. IanL

They don't have the grip in the bass that RCA blackplates do, but they do have more dimensionality, equal mids, and a little sparkle that is very nice. And I got the bass grip back by using the Philips rectifier, which is the absolute Bass Master of rectifiers. With the RCA's and the WE845's in there, the Philips makes some music too dark. Too much of a good thing. The GE's introduce that 3D effect and bring a nice balance across the rest of my tube choices. It's all a balancing act, and it is so cool that the 518 can be customized to each owner's tastes!

GoldprintAudio likes this.