Line Magnetic 518IA Integrated Amp and 502CA DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IanL, Dec 25, 2015.

1. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I did some of both. I added them as I got them, and then listened for a bit with all of them (I was using GEs in the 6L6 slots at that point). Then I went back to stock to compare again. And then I added one at a time from there, and some combos. I think it was hard to draw firm conclusions because most of the tubes were not broken in yet. But there were some obvious results. Those Mullards in the DAC were a big change, for instance. Sweeter mids and more bass. The rectifier tubes also seemed to fortify the bass in each case. The Telefunkens seemed to really play a role in the overall refinement. The RCAs were the last ones I added back in, and when I did, the bass really started to take on that magical quality. That was also right around the time I switched to the 16-ohm speaker taps for good.

ceynon and james like this.
  2. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Ian,
    This is a nice post and mirrors a recent experience of mine. However, I will say that I can't believe that you stayed with the ss amp for a year after having tubes.

Currently all my component have tubes except my turntables power supply (Modwright LS-100, Logitech/Modwright Transporter, Audio Research VS-55). I decided to obsess over a ModWright KWA100SE amp mostly because of the great reviews and because I love my other ModWright stuff. I figured it was designed to go with the LS-100, so there must be synergy etc. Anyway I bought a used one and listened to it exclusively for about a month. There was clearly something missing, mostly depth of the sound stage. Anyway, I'm going to sell it because the AR just sounds so much better. The 100SE is a great amp but it just doesn't do it for me.

Anyway after you get over all the tube rolling (I know its a quagmire) you owe it to your self to try one of these rectifiers http://www.ebay.com/itm/161136823012?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT , its a Genelax current production Russian tube. I have one in my preamp and Transporter. For me it beat other current production rectifiers I had and a NOS RCA. There was a thread on rectifiers a few years ago and there are many other forum members that feel the same way. Its cheap and readily available. Just make sure you burn the sucker for about 100 hours before any critical listening.

wwright and IanL like this.
  3. IanL

I have stuck with the same tubes in both the amp and DAC for a while now. Yesterday I swapped in the GEs to compare to the RCA black plates (6L6 slot). The GEs sounded very nice, overall very similar to the RCAs. The bass guitars were very pleasing with the GEs, but they were missing that last bit of texture and grip that I have become enamored with. For now, I am sticking with the RCAs.

Last week I played the MFSL CD of Tommy by The Who. I had the volume turned up higher than I ever have before. It was pretty killer. I can tell that this amp is capable of a lot more than the Harbeths are allowing. At that high volume it was totally blooming and spreading its wings. But I also ran up against the slightest bit of distortion in the highs. I think with a more sensitive speaker, I could get that amazing open sound at far lower volume. Something to look forward to down the line. I'm thinking maybe a DeVore Fidelity Orangutan. I think the 93's would be plenty of sensitivity for this amp. In the meantime, I am very happy with the Harbeths.

SandAndGlass and james like this.
  4. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Thanks for the writeup. I have Harbeth 7es3's too but matched with a Rogue Cronus Magnum II (KT120). I saw that article in Stereophile you mentioned and was seriously considering the LM and would love to A/B against the Cronus. The only thing that scares me would be support (repair/warranty) for the LM, thus one of the reasons I chose Rogue since they are in PA and nearby. Looking forward to your progress and reviews with the 7ES3/LM

SandAndGlass and IanL like this.
  5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I have the O/93's with a 518IA and trust me, you can't go wrong with that combo.

6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The 93's and 518 are a killer combo. As are the 96's.

Can't wait to get my first pair of Gibbon X's in to try them with the 518 as well!

IanL and Tlay like this.
  7. IanL

That's why I bought from an authorized dealer. And the importer has a good reputation and brings in other highly regarded gear like Shindo and Auditorium. I don't see it as any different from buying Rega or Harbeth in the USA.

SandAndGlass, ThorensSme and theron d like this.
  8. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Buy from a dealer and repairs are no issue.

9. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

thanks who are the dealers in the states on the east coast?

10. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

In living stereo.

theron d likes this.
  11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Thank you!

12. IanL

Goldprint Audio in NC, who just posted a few posts up in this thread.

GoldprintAudio, bajaed and theron d like this.
  13. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

The LM 518ia I ordered from Goldprint Audio just arrived yesterday. Taylor was a pleasure to work with on the transaction.

Rolltide, bajaed, IanL and 2 others like this.
  14. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

Actually you can if you don't like a really full sound. I auditioned the 518IA with O/96s and I couldn't tell whether I just wasn't used to such a full sound or whether the combo was bloated and over-ripe (for the lack of better words). I can see how the sound can be beguiling to some listeners who have that sonic preference. The LM+DeVore combo had tons of bloom to the point of sounding larger than life to my ears. My only point is that not everyone is going to like that combo. Carry on.

15. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The O/93's are definitely a bit more evenly balanced than the O/96's. Though, that's not to say that if I was offered a pair of O/96's for my O/93's that I'd turn them down ;)

SandAndGlass and Rolltide like this.
  16. IanL

Sweet! I hope you will share your thoughts as you start listening. Will you be using it as an integrated, or do you plan to use your McIntosh preamp with it?

17. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

As an integrated. I've already got some NOS tubes to swap in for the rectifier, driver, and signal tubes. I'll report back with some listening feedback.

IanL likes this.
  18. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Buy from a dealer with deep pockets. Dealers who are barely scraping by aren't quite as reliable for service.

19. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

While interesting Art, the dealer will pass the issue on to the importer. If under warranty I would be shocked if there was any issue getting it repaired.

20. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

We are gonna need pics!

IanL likes this.
  21. IanL

I just ordered a pair of Psvane WE845 output tubes (Western Electric replicas) from Grant Fidelity. They will take a while to get here from Hong Kong, but I will share my impressions once I have heard them.

Creation of Psvane WE845:
    The Psvane WE845 is a hybrid creation by combining the characteristics of both RCA845 and WE284A tubes. The first Psvane WE845 prototype was sent to Japan in late 2012 for evaluation and the reviewer commented: ‘It’s an ultimate pleasure to re-live the RCA845 sound from Psvane WE845 and I hope you can improve the sound to the WE284A level.’ Psvane design team took another 8 months to improve on design then we come to have today’s final version of the WE845 Replica.

GoldprintAudio and james like this.
  22. IanL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Let us know what you think of these once they arrive. I've been considering getting a pair for my own 518.

24. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I agree that importer is more important in service then the dealer might be.

I'll will post some pics once I have it racked. I'm going to unbox it tonight.

25. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I was going to order a pair of these yesterday, but I want to give the stock 845's a run first. I'll be interested in your feedback on these.