Line Magnetic 518IA Integrated Amp and 502CA DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IanL, Dec 25, 2015.

1. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I wish I had those skills as well. I can solder pretty well, but I was not up for this task. Pat Hickman, of Classic Tube Audio, did the work for me. Pat has refurbed a couple McIntosh C20's for me in the past, and he knows his stuff.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'm assuming all the ones with the wording "Cap Elite Reference" are the ones which were changed? If so, that looks like 6 caps were upgraded.

Were these caps suggested by Pat or did you find them through research? Or maybe you've used them before? Just wondering...

3. Binh Nguyen

Binh Nguyen Well-Known Member

I learnt and replaced caps myself. I replaced 6 caps in the amp. They are 2 0.022uf caps, 2 0.10uf caps and 2 0.47uf caps. Mine came with the 0.47uf caps. However, couple other people told me that theirs came with either Mundorf 0.22uf caps or other 0.33uf caps. You are correct. The "Cap Elite Ref" in the pics are the upgrades.

I read the capacitor threat on Humble Homemade Hifi capacitor test when deciding which brand to use and ended using Jupitor Copper Foil Paper & Wax caps. The money spent on them are well worth.

wwright, JDR76 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

For those interested in reading or looking through the aforementioned webpage, here's the link.

Humble Homemade Hifi - Cap Test

Each cap is given a rating on 20 (highest they've awarded is 16/20) and has a small blurb detailing the sound to expect from each. Quite thorough and a great find. Thanks, @Binh Nguyen !

EDIT : they also thankfully have a PDF with a graph breaking down the grades attributed to each.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    wwright, SandAndGlass and JDR76 like this.
  5. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I had done some extensive research on caps before I took the dive. I narrowed my choice down to VCap CuTF, or Audio Note Silver Foil. I then talked it over with Pat, and we agreed that the Audio Note caps might be overkill for this upgrade and that they might not fit inside the 518IA. Space is limited inside the amp, so that must be considered along with the DC voltage of the cap.

Strat-Mangler and IanL like this.
  6. DTB300

DTB300 Forum Resident

After all the issues with a seller in China for PSvane 845-TII, I am trying a vendor out of Hong Kong. China seller has now changed their website to point to another site and uses other ebay seller names - Just look for Hifiparts Store - based on my experience, I would avoid them.

Paid extra $$ to the HK dealer to remove tubes from Psvane box, separately double wrap each tube in Bubble Wrap, then wrap again and place in a larger box all via DHL. Will see if this helps with shipping or not. Got the idea from Grant Fidelity is how they are shipping the PSvane WE845.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

How much did the caps and work cost you together, if you don't mind me asking?

8. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

So the TII's you posted about on the last page have problems now too? I was frustrated by my first experience buying from Asia, but yours is far worse! When I just ordered the WE845's, I read that note about their change in packing. I hope it works! I AM going to miss that sturdy box my last pair came in. Hard to believe tubes get damaged in those things... but they do.

9. DTB300

DTB300 Forum Resident

No probs so far with those pair. Just trying the waters as the WE845 is just too much dinero....

IanL likes this.
  10. IanL

Okay, gotcha. I am eager to hear what you think of the TII's, but if they are like the WE845's then I know they are going to take quite a while to settle in.

11. DTB300

DTB300 Forum Resident

Definitely fuller sounding than Stock when first inserted. Now that bias is holding well, will see how they change.

I recently changed out my 5AR4 fat-base Mullard for an Amperex and that was a better match........for now.

Other vendor has shipped and we will see how well they packaged these Psvane's - I paid a little more for this service asking for improved packing :D

Binh Nguyen and IanL like this.
  12. IanL

My WE845's arrived today (from Canada, not Hong Kong!) and although I miss the nice box my last pair came in, I don't miss receiving DOA tubes. This time, so far so good. Both tubes intact, and both lit up when installed. Waited 15 minutes for the amp to heat up, and checked the bias. Great news, this time they were extremely close to the bias setting I was using for the stock tubes. This was not the case with my first pair.

Small adjustment to get the bias perfect, and on to the first record. Dave Matthews Band Crash. I was very happy there was music in both channels, lol. But I also immediately noticed perfect channel balance as well. I guess that's where that extra $100 went. Right out of the gate these sound better to me than I remember my first pair sounding. Since I had the stock tubes in there in between I can't be sure. But knowing these will get better with use has me very excited. I'll keep you guys posted as I run more music through these.

13. IanL

So a little update... Side 2 of Led Zeppelin I (Classic Records), side 1 of Dave Brubeck Time Out (AP 45), and side 1 of The Raconteurs Consolers of the Lonely, and very happy. Just last week I was listening to this Raconteurs album (going to see Jack White on Sunday at Brewery Ommegang) and even though the songs played in my head all week, I was very aware that the lower and especially the upper registers were lacking on the stock tubes. ALL back now, and even better than with my previous pair of WE845's. Based on these early impressions, I definitely recommend paying the extra $100 for the top testing tubes.

14. JDR76

JDR76 Member

Thanks for all the responses, a real help. I have two vintage solid state amps in for work/ recaping and once done I will send the 518 off with same person to get done as well.

Seperately I just ordered the Psvane 845tII/ mk2's. It was between these and the MK1's. From the pictures posted I assumed, when you all mention the TII's, it is the newer ones with orange base.

15. JDR76

JDR76 Member

Thanks for the pictures inside.

Looking at this it looks like you replaced 7 caps and I see 3 X 0.68uf 450v. Looking at other people's comments they are saying only 6 need replacing and that usually 0.47uf caps here (though it seems it varies unit to unit with 0.22 and 0.33 found in this place).

I'm just wondering if you did anything extra or special or so I just need to see inside my unit and replace like for like.

16. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Hi, wondering if any 518ia owners would be so kind to measure precisely the exact height of the amp - have seen differing specs online an potentially playing with a tight fit here. Don't want it too tight for obvious reasons. Many thanks.

17. IanL

The 845 tubes get EXTREMELY hot, and, other than the tube cage, if you use it, are the tallest part of the amp. Even if you have enough clearance above the tubes, I would be very careful about putting this amp in any situation where there is anything flammable within a foot, maybe more, above the amp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Might be due to the tube cage which would add height. One could measure up to where the transformers end but the power tubes are higher than that and would likely vary in height anyway. Your best bet, IMHO, is to take the cage into account and just use the highest measurement.

19. IanL

I would just add that the WE845's if you ever have the desire to upgrade to those, have a nipple on top of the tubes that actually makes them a little taller than all the other 845 tubes. And may also add a touch more height even when the tube cage is on, as the tube cage just barely accommodates them, and may in fact be resting slightly on the nipples when it is in place.

20. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Also note that height measurements don't always include the feet.

Strat-Mangler and IanL like this.
  21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've never owned that particular space heater/amplifier, but I get the impression that if one needs to know the exact vertical dimensions for a tight fit, they probably need to reevaluate the situation.

SandAndGlass and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Yep. Even the tube cage itself gets very hot.

23. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Point taken. I've a rather handsome and solid glass topped table that currently houses my amp, turntable on top. There's about 10 inches of clearance beneath the glass, too snug for comfort is my feeling. The table is staying, it's not to be...

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I would not put anything on top of an amp like that. I never put anything on top of any tube amp I own, never will.

25. Kende

Kende Well-Known Member