Line Magnetic 518IA Integrated Amp and 502CA DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IanL, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Kende

Kende Well-Known Member

Hi Bin
    I am new at this forum. I am planing to replace the caps in my 518ia amp too. I like the Jupiter cooper foil caps.
    My concern is the melting issue. I had that problem with the old Jupiter caps in my push pull amp.
    It is safe, no problem With the jupiter cooper caps? Can i go with higher UF, wath about the voltage?
    From LM audio i got a replay, it has to be the same value.
    Replay me in private.
    Regards.
    Kende

wwright likes this.
  2. Kende

Kende Well-Known Member

3. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member

This is such a great thread, I've studied it.

I managed to get a Line Magnetic in Portugal on a part exchange. It was ex-demo.

I got used to the stock tubes and tried a few different sources.

I now have Line Magnetic 518ia with Tung-Sol 7581A, Mullard GZ34 / 5AR4, Mullard CV4004 / 12AX7.

The Mullards are not NOS, but they have opened up the whole presentation. CDs are sounding fantastic, glad I didnt throw them away.

Jeff Buckley is on right now sounding sweet, a little bright but it hasnt warmed up yet.

Cheers to the OP for a great thread.

4. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

Since someone liked this post for the first time in a while, I thought I should post an update. This is for the 518ia. I am still using the above listed tubes in the DAC.

Psvane WE845, check. On my second pair of these now, this time with the premium high-testing option, and even better than my first pair. Highly recommended.

GE 6L6GC, Check. Wonderful. And these last a long time.

Mullard 10M. These sound great, and I really have no complaints whatsoever about these tubes, they are great. But for a number of months I have been using a pair of Raytheon 5751s which I purchased recently and quite liked. More linear and neutral and very pure sounding.

For the rectifier tube, I still say the Philips was the best sounding option I have tried. Tremendous bass response. However, because it does leave your other tubes vulnerable because it doesn’t offer a soft startup, I have settled on my Mullard metal-base GZ34 because it protects my other tube investments, and it has an extremely smooth, well-balanced presentation with adequate bass and a creamy midrange and delicate highs. Very refined.

wwright, Encore, advanced101 and 3 others like this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

This has been a very informative thread.

I will be shortly joining the 518ia club! Wanted to go tube for my office LS50 system so jumped at the chance!

wwright, Benjamin Reed, IanL and 3 others like this.
  6. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

This is tremendously helpful! Just curious - have you heard about the new Psvane Acme Supreme 845?

1. Psvane ACME Supreme Series 845 vacuum tubes (pair) | Psvane & Treasure Audio Tubes

7. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Great to see you here. You'll love it - a very interesting amp, to say the least!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Don't mean to divert the thread, but saw your comment on those silver discs. You'll want to check out Spectral's CD player - pretty expensive, but I heard it directly compared to the dCS flagship stack, and it sounded better (much better, if you like a more analog sound signature). Kind of a blend of a record player and CD player, but without the recessed treble. Spectral's designer/owner is also the inventor of HDCD, and personally checks each unit before they ship.

You might find a good one on the secondary market. It gives you a real reason not to throw those CDs away.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  9. Echoes Myron

It is a truly amazing amp. Like absolutely amazing. Could not be more thrilled. Drives the LS50s in my office with ease. Will have to post some pics of the setup soon.

Also picked up some new 845B tubes from Upscale so excited to try those out.

SandAndGlass, james and wwright like this.
  10. IanL

I hadn’t heard of this new model yet. The prices are getting a bit ridiculous at this point, but I’m sure I’ll give them some consideration when it comes time to replace tubes again. I’m hoping my current WE845s last longer than my first pair though.

11. Echoes Myron

I replaced the stock 845s with some new Shuguang 845Bs from Upscale. The difference is huge, more than I expected.

Right out of the box, the 845B have more harmonic complexity and a much more holographic soundstage. The stock 845 are very clean, transparent, and smooth, but the Bs just bring the sound to life so much more. Can't wait to burn these in and see what else they can do.

This amp also does wonderful things with the KEF LS50. The amp has more than enough current to drive these with authority. Tone is perfect. And depending on the recording there are so many surprising moments where sound comes from out of space in the middle of the room or from behind your head. Very cool.

wwright, IanL and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Here is a photo of my new 518IA set up in my office system. Killer sound. Loving the 845Bs.

[​IMG]

13. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

This was very helpful btw - thanks!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

@IanL you still enjoying the 518 with the C7ES3’s?

Thanks for a great thread. Read almost all of it. I have the C7’s and now about to score a 518IA. I currently have a Rogue Cronus Magnum II. I tested a couple solid states with the C7’s including LFD MKIV, and Belles Aria, but my preference for tubes won out.

looking forward to adding the 518 and thanks to this thread know what tubes to roll :righton:

IanL and Echoes Myron like this.
  15. IanL

Yes! Love my system. I’ve been listening to so much jazz vinyl lately and enjoying the hell out of it.

SandAndGlass and Kray like this.
  16. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

thanks for the update! Getting mine next week. This is probably the most anticipated amp I’ve bought yet. Love the design/coloring too. Different but better (IMHO) than the standard silver/black fare out there.

IanL, SandAndGlass and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It is a really beautiful looking amp. Hard to imagine one look better, unless they spent megabucks on the aesthetics.

Kray likes this.
  18. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

So my 518 is coming with Tung Sol 6L6G’s in driver V3/V4

never heard those tubes before. Know that slot is mostly tied to synergy. Is it worth getting NOS tubes there? Any favorites in that position?

19. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

Just got this beast of an amp today.

wont be able to listen until tomorrow Killing me :D

[​IMG]

20. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

I’m only 2hrs in, but I’m 98% sure I’m about to jump off the merry go round for a while and stop with the amp.

it still has the stock 845 tubes and Sounds like the 845B is the sweet spot but OMG this amp is so lush, full and beautiful. :eek:

[​IMG]

AndyCC72, IanL and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Echoes Myron

It is a very special amp.

I spent several hours this weekend playing various LP copies of The Band's S/T album through mine. The vocal and instrument tones were richly complex but still realistic. The sense of space in the recording projected by the speakers was just unbelievable.

Kray, james and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

It is really hard for me to imagine a better amp.

Kray, Echoes Myron and james like this.
  23. james

james Summon The Queen

it has to be the real spot of diminishing returns. I’d like to try an Audio Note integrated but the 518 is so damn good at speed, dynamics AND tone/touch/tubey soundstaging. I think it’s the perfect amp for my tastes.

Echoes Myron, Kray and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

It is a beast of an amp. As I get older, I keep getting amps that are heavier and heavier.

Although I had large Altec Lansing A7's when I was 16 and they were too large and heavy to lift (had them on wheels though), I never imagined that one day I would get too old to lift an amplifier.

This beast is really heavy.

People who only know audio through the HT receivers that they sell in the big box stores have no idea how much the good stuff does weigh.

Kray likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

I admit, I do have a curiosity about AN, but after having the 518iA, and how it sounds through the Altec's, I only have a much more milder curiosity now.

Having a acquired a dozen tube amps in my quest, I have found that my little 3.9-Watt Decware Mini Torii does sound wonderful, also being a single ended amp.

But, even with the large, highly sensitivity Altec's, 3.9-Watts will only carry things so far (I do use a sub with it), where, with the 22-Watts that the LM has, it will blow the doors off and not leave me wanting for power.

It has all the power that I would ever need with the Altec's, if I wanted to turn things up, but the microdynamics are incredible.

I still have the 30-Watt Audio Note Kit Amp. While not a real English AN amp, it does sound pretty amazing with NOS EL34 power tubes. So it has become my alternate to the 518iA, if I need more juice than the Mini-Torii.

Having the AN Kit amp, does lead me to believe that the real stuff must be excellent sounding amps. Still I think that the 518iA is setting a very high bar to beat.