Line Magnetic 518IA Integrated Amp and 502CA DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IanL, Dec 25, 2015.

1. james

james Summon The Queen

thanks! yes, i'm running the 103 into the MC section of a Cambridge Audio 640p. it sounds very good but I know it's not reaching it's potential. And I'm willing to build my analog front-end around the 103 for that same reason: value. Not interested in spending 4 figures on disposable items.

IanL likes this.
  2. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

I think this is essentially true. Although I would say for people who prefer analog to digital. But I think we are saying the same thing. This DAC does more to bridge that gap than anything else I have heard in my system. The Rega Saturn and DAC moved me in that direction to some degree compared to my previous players. But the Line Magnetic DAC actually gets you there.

I posted in another thread about SACD players, saying I am now not really interested in replacing my SACD player. The LM DAC has moved my concern away from ultimate resolution. 44/16 stuff sounds just as involving as 192/24 stuff. If I have the choice of the same mastering in either resolution, obviously I am going to choose the higher resolution. But I would rather buy music that is new to me than put that money into ever-increasing resolutions of the same albums already in my collection. The LM DAC will allow me to do that.

3. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

you have compared the lm502 to what other dac? there so very little comparison with this dac included.

4. IanL

I alluded in my first post to the fact that there just is not that much written about any of the Line Magnetic gear. So I agree with you in general that there is not much out there regarding comparisons for the DAC, or the amps either for that matter. That's why it was such a big deal that Herb Reichert reviewed the 518ia in Stereophile. It was the first that a whole lot of people in North America had ever even heard of it. Although he has not reviewed it in Stereophile yet, Reichert also uses the Line Magnetic 502ca DAC in his personal/reference system too. I wonder if he will review it at some point.

The reason I started this thread was to start a discussion/raise awareness of some of the Line Magnetic gear. I wasn't able to find a lot to read (thanks to those of you who have posted about your LM gear elsewhere on this forum!) when I was researching, so I am hoping that this thread will be helpful to somebody in the future who has an interest in either of these pieces. Even though I have tried to describe sound differences as I have encountered them while tube swapping, etc., I am not really the kind of person who enjoys doing comparisons. I would make an awful reviewer! I mostly just like to get on with listening to music. But it is very useful to people if you share your opinion. So I try to do it. I benefit a great deal by reading about the experiences of other members here. So I try to contribute what I can here and there so I am not just a taker.

The Rega DAC is the only other stand-alone DAC I have owned. I know it is not one of the models you specifically asked about, but that is all I have to offer. In comparison to the Rega DAC, the LM has a similar selection of connection options (the LM does offer balanced XLR outputs unlike the Rega). I had the original Rega DAC, so the LM was a step up in terms of the implementation of the USB input (asynchronous and up to 192/32). I use the s/pdif connection so right now the USB connection is just a future-proof consideration. The LM has the option of choosing on-the-fly between tube or transistor output. I have used the tube setting right from day 1. It took two seconds to evaluate which I liked better, and I have not deviated from that. The LM is slightly darker than the Rega, and that became more so once I replaced the stock tubes with NOS Mullards. It is a sound I prefer, but I have no doubt some people would rather a brighter sound. I felt that the Rega DAC had a strength in the area of rhythm and pace. It was very nimble. The LM is even stronger in this area. That was a bit of a surprise to me. The LM has a midrange that is far more seductive than the Rega. And the highs on the LM almost never come across as bright. On the Rega, if it was not a well-mastered CD, it could be very bright. The LM has far more information in the lower midrange and upper bass than the Rega. I have found that to be very important to my enjoyment of it. It lays a foundation for music that I was used to only hearing from vinyl. The fact that you can roll any 12au7 tubes you want (not to mention the rectifier tube) means you could experiment and find the overall sound you like best. Somebody else may like a very different tube combo in there than I do and may get a different presentation they prefer.

5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I'm a dealer, so actually quite many.

6. IanL

I just picked up a pair of NOS Mullard 10M 12ax7 tubes to try out. Saw a deal that was just too good for me to pass up. I figure I'll eventually have a phono preamp or a headphone amp that uses 12ax7 tubes as well, so neither the Mullards or the Telefunkens will go to waste.

I stuck them in the 518ia and am burning them in now. Pretty sweet sounding right out of the box. :goodie:

Rolltide, GoldprintAudio and james like this.
  7. GoldprintAudio

I have a few 10m 12ax7's laying around. I need to find them and try them out in the 518. Bet they do sound pretty nice.

IanL likes this.
  8. IanL

I definitely recommend you do. I spent the evening listening to all sorts of stuff with the 10M's installed and all I can say is I don't think the Telefunken smooth plates will be returning. I realize they haven't burned in yet, but for my tastes the 10M's are absolutely magical with vocals. The other area where they differentiated themselves from the Teles was they are more rhythmically nimble, in an addictive way. I definitely prefer drums and percussion with the 10M's over the Teles. I am excited to hear how these sound once they have fully burned in.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  9. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I had some ribbed plate Tele's in the 518 and didn't care for them that much. They seemed a little lean in the mids. I'm hoping the Bugle Boys do the trick.

Also, I just looked up the 10M's. Yowser! Those are expensive.

GoldprintAudio and IanL like this.
  10. triple

triple Senior Member

An interesting statement. Well, put your money where your mouth is.;)

IanL likes this.
  11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Very different amps of course, but I started out with Telefunken in my Line Magnetic, and also find the Mullards to be the better overall choice. It could be that LM has a house sound that benefits from Mullards, or it could just be that Mullards are great and lots of people prefer them in lots of products :).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. IanL

Are you using 10M's, or standard Mullards? We might be talking about different tubes here. I think they sound quite a bit different, and the 10M's seem to cost about 3x as much, on average. I'm sure that is as much a function of rarity as it is improved sound. Sort of like the difference between Telefunken smooth plates versus ECC803S. Both Telefunken 12AX7, but quite a bit different both in scarcity and sound (and price).

I LOVE my 12au7 Mullards in my DAC though. Mine are Philips branded, the ones that Steve posted a link to at Upscale Audio. I want to get another pair to stash away for the future.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/philips-ecc82-12au7-vintage-new-old-stock/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, after Googling the 10M's and seeing the purple boxes, it looks like I have "normal" Mullards. the 10Ms definitely seem like something to aspire to. I wonder how they compare to the CV4004 mil-spec Mullards? I use the 12AT7 (or is it 12AU7?) version of the latter in my phono stage and love them.

14. IanL

I've read good things about the CV4004 12ax7's.

Looks like 12at7's in your phono preamp.

15. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Ian

I have used the LM 502CA DAC for 2 years and I have not reviewed it either - been busy at work with 5 colleagues all involved in a severe car accident so having to pick up part of their teaching loads.

I have found that virtually all the $600-$700ish Dacs tube or SS that I have heard don't really do much for me in that they still just sound like etched digital - They exhibit too much splash in the treble, and or offer monotone sounding bass or some of the cheap valve units sound too much like some put a distortion buffer on top of the SS sounds.

In actual fact the 502CA doesn't completely get away from this either but it is far less obvious than most and it doesn't have the etch or the splash of cheaper units and it does have a big rich bass that is differentiated. I can see why tweakers like it but it stands well enough out of the box (though a tube change is nice and actually yields results).

I am planning to go with an Audio Note DAC 3.1X down the road - BUT that's probably the only DAC I'd bother going to to replace the LM. And when you consider that that DAC is $10,000 and is designed for CD only (has not Computer Audio facility like USB inputs etc) then even there most folks won't want the hassle of having to buy a USB/SPIDF converter and live with down converting.

I do wish LM would make a less expensive tube only DAC - the SS side is a bit of a waste of time as it sounds comparatively rubbish to the tube mode but you have to pay for the SS functionality including a separate power supply transformer. If they made a tube only model retailing for $1,000-$1200 They'd probably open themselves to much higher sales numbers and get their foot in the door so that people will then look closer at the amps as well.

SandAndGlass, GoldprintAudio and IanL like this.
  16. GoldprintAudio

The tube only DAC is an interesting thought....not sure if that's on the horizon or not though. The 502's sell pretty good as they are.

I'm hoping to see a phono stage at some point!

IanL and ThorensSme like this.
  17. james

james Summon The Queen

YES. Hopefully significantly less expensive than the Leben

ThorensSme likes this.
  18. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

I have had a LM218 a with 211 tubes for nearly a year. It has had a lot of use. No issues whatsoever, the same cannot be said for a few other SE amps I have had. I changed the valves for Psvane T11 including drivers ( EL34 ). The preamp valves are Mullard ECC 83.

I am debating trying the LM dac to see how it compares to my Lampizator. I notices Audionote kits now do a 5 version. It's not cheap but would love to hear it.

IanL and GoldprintAudio like this.
  19. Richard Austen

I want to see an LM turntable! They had an EMT looking model at a Chinese Audio Show not that long back...an aesthetic match for the 219.

GoldprintAudio and ThorensSme like this.
  20. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I would love to see an LM phono stage as well. If it came in at $1500 or under, I would be seriously interested. My LM 216ia has been amazing thus far. I actually found the driver tubes (12bh7) made a really nice difference when I switched to NOS RCA. My friend has NOS CV4004 Mullards in his Mcintosh c2500 that I am tempted to 'borrow' to try in place of the Gold Lion 12ax7 I am using.

IanL and james like this.
  21. Richard Austen

I have not heard the Lampizator but I'd be willing to bet that the LM DAC isn't as good based on the various ears I trust in the hobby. Fikus was and may still be a big fan of Audio Note DACs having several and reviewing them when he pulled DA converters apart - pretty sure it's also where he got his level system from. Imitation is a high form of flattery. So I should imagine that his offerings would be an attempt to sound at the level of AN DACs at the least. The AN DAC Zero for $1800 sounds better than the 502CA on CD only material - I have compared them. BUT it's not a huge improvement and you have to give up a ton of features and connections that the 502CA has.

The ANKits Dac 2.1 (assembled for you) is $1882. From looking at it I'd think it would beat the AN DAC Zero or the LM 502Ca (again for CD). I'm not terribly convinced by SACD or hi res computer audio playback for more than it being convenient. I've played CD into the 502CA and the same recording from three different computers to the 502CA DAC via USB and it sounds better from the CD. Go figure.

Still that kit 2.1 looks really nice http://www.ankaudiokits.com/dac2_1.html

The Mentor 5 Preamp is what is making me sweat like a pig. Man does that thing look very good for the price. I've been looking at getting an M3 - but I dunno - the parts quality in the less expensive AN Kit looks better and it is after all designed by the same guys. hmmmm.....Triple C-Core in the Kits - EI in the M3. Hmmmmmm...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

I was never really happy with digital until I heard the lampizator. Frankly I struck lucky because it was bought without listening first, but they do have a returns policy. To my ears it manages to make music in the room with good recordings and previously unlistenable discs bearable. This site has been great for finding the good ones !

23. GoldprintAudio

You didn't happen to grab any pictures of that did you? I would love to see it.

24. GoldprintAudio

Nevermind.....think I found it.

25. Richard Austen

here is one

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and james like this.