Line Magnetic classic series 25-B phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by J.D.80, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Line Magnetic 129 for $8k, or the 230v version for $4200 ? Or wait 2 yrs and buy the 230v version for $1500 used....

2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Always buy the voltage of where you live.

3. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Was that your experience? Or is your false information something you read and pass on as fact?

4. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Great assumption.

A simple web search brings up that many items originating in Japan, but sold overseas, are MUCH cheaper in Japan with the caveat that one has to accommodate the AC power requirements of the component. This is common knowledge. Domestic Japanese prices for many components are approx 1/2 the MSRP in other markets. We see many listings on the various equipment forums for used Japanese spec equipment, sold for a deep discount from grey market purchase price. Luxman, Esoteric, Accuphase...and Line Magnetic. One takes a risk in purchasing out of market equipment. It either works, or you have an expensive boat anchor. For some the savings is worth the risk, for others it is not, and others prefer to support local dealers. But in the great scheme of things we need to remember that we are not supposed to look behind the curtain.

Stump likes this.
  5. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Given your answer was a broad view of voltage price issues then I agree. As buying step down for Japanese products does not feel the same as Genuine 240V (for Australia) we also get the price hikes for American products as 240V would be a smaller production run.
    Getting back to the Line Magnetic 129 Phono.This is from the Retro side of the Line Magnetic company which have 10 skilled workers .These products are build using Western Electric Topology using parts to best recreate the sound of the original Western Electric.I currently have a pair of LM Western Electric 91A Tube Amp mono on order .These are expensive but to replicate the original sound they are cheaper then and original Western Electric 91A...
    Stump

IanL likes this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

IanL likes this.
  7. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Taylor, is Tone Imports going to be bringing this phono preamp into the States? And if so, do you intend to get a demo unit? I do like what I see, but I wish I knew more about it. Like what tubes does it use, etc.?

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  8. GoldprintAudio

Don't believe that we will see that exact model. However keep your eyes open for something coming this spring (Tone has no real details on the new unit from LM yet except it is coming).

As we receive further info, I'll be sure to post it up here.

bajaed, Stump and IanL like this.
  9. GoldprintAudio

And yes, my name is on one of the first units over for a demo piece.

Stump and IanL like this.
  10. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

For those interested in the new LM phono, as I am, here is some new info I've just received...

LP33-
    Line Magnetic LP-33 MM MC Valve Phono Stage Pre Amplifier

Sporting three ECC803s , 6Z4, quality components such as m cap supreme and nichicon rubycon caps, it provides moving magnet and high and low output moving coil with variable output at line level.

The volume knob is interesting in that I have never heard a phono stage with so much gain. I have used it with a Koetsu Rosewood Signature (0.4mv) and found I can reduce the pre amp setting from about 11 oclock to about 9 oclock - seems to give plenty of options for the common problem of low output moving coils and lack of gain in a lot of phono stages.

Exact specs are a little hazy but heres what is known

Output 2v (but seems to be able to go a lot higher)

Input
    MM 6mv
    MC high 1mv
    MC low .5mv

Gain
    MM 50db
    MC high 66db
    MC low 72db

Loading (?)
    MC 2 ohm 12 ohm
    MM 50kohm

6.5kg with separate power supply

Hammerite finish! Perfect for your grey 301...

ECC803s can be substituted with 12ax7eh, ecc83, cv4004, ecc803, 5751, 12ax7

6Z4 can be substituted with 6un4, 6x4,ez90, u78, 6z31

I cannot say the list price for US, as I am only aware of the cost elsewhere. However, based upon what I think I could conclude in a ballpark range, I'd expect an approximate price tag of around $2k.

IanL, james, Stump and 1 other person like this.
  11. russk

russk Forum Resident

Looks like it's selling 1066.00 dollars in China. From the specs I saw the loading options are 300ohm and 600ohm for MC and 50K ohm for MM. Cool looking preamp. So if Tone Imports pricing holds true from what I've seen I'd expect it be around 2499.00. That's if the mark up is around 2.3 times what it goes for retail in China. Which is around what the mark up has been for their amps. I'd love to see it under 2k since they're is a lot of competition at that 2500 dollar price. Namely from the Leben RS30eq.

12. GoldprintAudio

As I noted above, the LP33 shown above in the pics is not going to be the same unit we see here in the US (unless LM changes their minds). This is all still tentative at this point, and things may end up different, but the phono stage that's supposed to be arriving here is going to be different. At this point, expect pricing to be around the ball park you guys mentioned above.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

Too bad. I love the look of it and the loading would work for lots of carts that I like.

14. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

I believe this Phono was put out to be more affordable.My guess you will pay around $1500 US.Unless it is a totally different unit for your power supply..

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  15. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I want a mono switch!

bluemooze and jkull like this.
  16. GoldprintAudio

So update on this new phono stage........as it turns out, it does appear that we will be getting the LP33 phono stage as linked above (the smaller 2 chassis model).

I have 2 units in bound that hopefully will get here middle to late next week.

james, russk and IanL like this.
  17. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

18. GoldprintAudio

Stump likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.