Line of Duty; fantastic BBC drama-series!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Yovra, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Watched the first Maigret and that was too much, I thought I was losing the will to live and I just wanted to give Atknison a slap, I doubt I'll give it a second chance.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's pretty much how I felt...

3. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

That evidence was only one part of the argument seeking her suspension. It was a photo of balaclava man leaving the scene of her husband's workplace after Steve's injury.
    Roz had not done her job properly in what is the first priority, the first port of call in any such investigation into the suspicious injury to a top copper in the line of duty and view all cctv recordings, therefore she was not privy to this evidence by dint of her own ineptitude.
    Ted did not hammer this point home, nor did he point out the evidence indicating that it could not have been Mike Farmer in the first photo.
    That's one of the reasons why this EP 4 interview scene was unsatisfactory. The script went out on a bizarre journey of implausibility, that Ted would diminish the strength of his evidence of impropriety and suspicions of even more evil doings and instead be cowed into the role of a bumbling nincompoop and derailed by an accused countering with unsubstantiated guff and innuendo. Hana as prime suspect just doesn't pass muster. Huntley presented little reasonable evidence to support her suspicions for her line of inquires while ignoring or dismissing all strong contrary-indications.
    Anyway I still find the series compelling, Adrian Dunbar as Ted is as good as it gets in UK tv police drama, comparable to Helen Mirren's role in Prime Suspect. I'll probably enjoy Ted's revenge, no doubt unmerciful and just who is this balaclava man?

4. Pastafarian

I was referring to the stride distance evidence in a previous episode and any use of evidence, you can only lay blame if she was aware of it, therefore decision flawed. This was one reason I thought we were going to see the end of AC12, as we know them. Look at their history, Steve planting evidence, accepted by the court, a gangland mole, which has to cast doubt on all investigation and Ted, Mason and sexist, doomed perhaps.

5. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

You are now referring to a different series to support some position of yours in this series. That does not impress the season 4 court :)
    It was clear in the highlight interview in episode 4 that Roz in her defense remarked/complained about evidence being presented against her that she had not been acquainted with beforehand.
    Now you say that the reference you made about that very same evidence was the stride distance evidence in a previous episode.
    I confess I am confused, I have lost your plot.

6. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

7. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Agreed, everything has been clearly "shown" beforehand, fairly deliberately. Glad they brought back the Masonic connection, as a cherry on top.

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

A(nother) shark jumping moment last night - then it as followed up by a gripping conclusion!

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I assume you're referring to the amputation? It was ridiculous that the amount of pain she was in, the look of the wound and even the stench would not get her to seek treatment - well, she did seek treatment and then ignored any followups! Early on I remarked that the whole festering wound thing would come into play in some incriminating way, but I could never have imagined they would take it this far!

Excepting that development, it was a pretty good episode with an intriguing conclusion.

Brenald79 and smilin ed like this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yep - and the way she turned things around following signing herself out of hospital

11. Pastafarian

I suspect it's me who's lost the plot!

In 4 I believe they showed her Balaclava Man in the alley, a picture she'd not seen, not her case and she was off the Steve investigation due to conflict of interest. The stride evidence was a different image, again she'd not seen it before. That may confuses things even more?

Anyway, I'll be watching episode 5 tonight, so I'll let you know who dun it:confused:.

12. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

I think the who-done-it will go to the wire,
    that is, if we accept that the most obvious suspect presented is just an out an out narcissist :)

13. Pastafarian

After episode 2 I was predicting the end of AC12, now given Mercurio's form I'm wrong and God only knows how this will end. The convoluted plot and apparent anomalies means it better be good, it's get out of jail time for Mercurio.

14. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Enjoyed this episode. I like how (it feels at least) like its winding around to tie back into the wider "Caddy" related ring.
    I like the way the awful lawyer is played and the politically incorrect one liners "Hold on, Ironside", "less of the Ian Paisley"...enjoyably archetypal public school scum.

15. Pastafarian

My prejudice as well, Balaclava Man, he's evil enough!

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You should see him in Bodies. Just as punchable in the face, but more so! :)

17. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Funny that, will have to have a look - I only know him as the bloke off the original "The Office"

18. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads Thread Starter

That was nice!
    Although; just like the previous series ending:
    the case hits an all-time ''low'' about half an hour before the last episode ends and suddenly things get moving. Compared the the last episode of series 3 (the i.m.o. very ridiculous action scene) this was better and quite exciting, but I still thing they could (should?) end the series with the episode ending in that interrogation room (maybe with flash-forwards to what happens to the other people involved). Now the action scene (again) looks tagged-on...

Deesky likes this.
  19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Well, gripped though I may have been, I thought the ending was like one of those awful shows where the detective comes in at the last minute and explains all the improbabilities. Not quite Match Wits with Inspector Ford, but you get the idea. Newton seemed to be performing like she didn't approve of the material - like it wasn't good enough for her. Roll on the next series...

Rufus McDufus and Deesky like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, there were tense moments in the finale, but it was all a bit ridiculous, just like the whole season really. Once again they dipped into the well of the interrogated turning the tables mid interview, this time for a deus ex machina wrap up. The previous time was when Roz accused Hastings of sexism/corruption only for that angle to play a minor role in the narrative and none at all in the conclusion.

I also agree that the tacked on 'action' scene was totally unnecessary and cheapened the ending, just like last series.

And what was the deal with Maneet?

Poorest season so far, with some compelling scenes interspersed, but not enough to lift it to top-shelf standing. Too bad.

21. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I enjoyed it. Not as bonkers as the end of season 3, most ends tied up nicely (but with some scope to go further next time).
    Probably should've been a longer episode, felt a little rushed last 20 minutes if I had a criticism.

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think if Ted turns out to be some kind of criminal mastermind, I'll want my money back. It''ll be such a cop-out - pardon the pun.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You have been pardoned. :) I don't think Ted will turn out to be anything other than what he appears to be. I'm betting Hargraves will turn out to be the big bad, possibly in collusion with external (to the force) actors. The next series will surely be about that, going after the upper echelons of power.

smilin ed likes this.
  24. Pastafarian

KAPOW! Ted's got big balls, well that was Hollywood, I'm waiting for the endgame in series 15. Good fun but so many loose ends, they could spend series five trying to explain them. I'll be in for 5 but hopefully they'll tone down the excitement, I'm British after all and I spilt my cup of tea:eek:

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Line of Duty has been renewed for another series. That is, another series after series 5! So, two more and possibly more after that if the (high) ratings hold.
    Line Of Duty: renewed for series 6

Rufus McDufus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.