Linn LP12 magnetic levitation mod ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rl1856, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone tried the Tranquility Tiger Paw modification for their LP12 ? 2 magnets arranged around the bearing well set up to oppose each other. One is mounted around the flange of the bearing well, the other mounted on the underside of the inner platter. The magnetic force removes about 90% of the weight of the bearing point and transfers the weight to another point of the subchassis. Anecdotal reports are positive. Anyone tried it ?

2. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I have not tried this very inserting mod. There are a lot of mixed feelings about the SQ however! Some post that it is a nice upgrade, while others have stated that it tends to knock down the dynamics and the stability of the table. The latter makes some sense to me....because IF there is ANY slippage between the inner platter and the bearing component...even minor, that would throw off the exactitude of the speed control, resulting in the findings of the nay sayers. Nonetheless, I would like to hear this mod.

3. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I have demo'd the Tiger Paw Tranquility on my decks , in my home. My dealer installed the units , although they are very easy to install. Some very minor tweaking of the springs was necessary to attain a perfect set-up .
    Imo, this is a no brainer.Deeper,larger soundstage. Bass is stronger and better articulated. Vocals are amazing.
    The LP12 needs to be properly set up to begin with - if you are a LP12 fan you already know this. I suspect some of the naysayers have decks that are not set up well. Also, let's not overlook the fact that the UK hifi scene still has some strong politics influencing "opinions". For the asking price of about $500, it is definitely worth a demo... I'm keeping mine :righton:.
    ATB,
    Mark

4. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

It was actually the well respected dealer here in the US , Thomas O'Keefe, who had some slightly less encouraging things to say about this mod. I'm sure his LP12 was correctly set up. This is a mod that I think one would have to try in one's own system to be sure of. Luckily, I understand it is easily removed and the old set up can be established with no detriment.

5. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Yes DaveyF- it is completely reversible. Maybe Thomas has one he can send to you for a demo?
    ATB,
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.