Linn Lp12 value question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RalphNYC, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm brand new here but have been around music for decades. I used to keep up with hifi prices but haven't been active for years. I've got a Linn LP12 my family bought in the early 80s. In around 1999 I upgraded to an Ekos arm and Arkiv cartridge along with Cirkus and Trampolin and Lingo.

I'm now getting the itch to listen to my record collection and am debating selling the Linn and buying a much cheaper table and using the diff for a headphone amp, headphones, a stand, and new records.

The Linn is in excellent condition but hasn't been used in years. What is a reasonable range of values to expect when potentially selling such a setup?

2. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

The ones currently on audiogon range between about $1500-2500 - that's asking, not selling.

3. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

You have been used to a good quality turntable for many years , still own the turntable & now you wish to down grade????

4. RalphNYC

Well I guess it does sound a little crazy, but as I've aged (I'm mid 40s) I've got less of a keen interest in fine points of hifi. For the 2k I'd rather have a lightly used turntable that still gets the job done at say $500 and then put $1500 into other things like the headphones, headphone amp, records, a stand for the turntable, and if there's anything left from that I'd be surprised. I spent a lot of time chasing hifi back in the 90s. I went through amps, preamps speakers, cables etc etc. and learned a lot. Did the same thing with guitars and guitar amps and kind of came to the same conclusion there.

5. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

I'm guessing OP owns the stereo ONLY, e.g. no phono pre, no speakers, etc.

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

If that's the case, keep your Linn, RalphNYC.

7. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yeah, I don't quite follow what the main goal is behind the idea of selling the LP12 for headphone capability and...another turntable. You'd be hardpressed to find a repalcement close to performance considering the upgrades you've made for the money you'll get for selling. A few questions pop into mind, such as how much do you expect to pay for headphones, and what other gear do you own...?

8. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I think the estimate for an LP12 with an Ekos, Arkiv, Lingo, Cirkus and Trampolin at $1500 to $2500 is quite low. A Good Ekos alone is easily $1000. I wouldn't be shocked to see this spec LP12, if for sale, to be $4000 or more (asking price).

For $1500 you could do a non-Cirkus with, if you're lucky, an Itok.

If the table is in good shape, buy a new belt and keep the table. But if your itching for a new table, lots of nice sub $2000 tables around these days.

VinylRob likes this.
  9. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I was just looking at an add in A-gon that I think is yours. I would help if you posted a bunch of pictures and tested the arm bearings. Personally I'm interested in obtaining an Ekos and was somewhat interested.

10. RalphNYC

I don't have speakers but I have an amp and preamp I bought from a builder in the DC area named Bruce Wenger of BWS-tubes. I haven't powered these up in years and I'm sure they'll need some TLC and money and I also think they have very little value on the market so I'm sort of stuck with them - but that's ok because I really like them. So the Linn is the only piece of value

11. RalphNYC

Yes that was mine. How do you test the arm bearings? I took a bunch of pics tonight. I was planning on meeting Linn dealer at my apartment and having him check over the table. It seems like I should do that before selling. What do you think is the right price range for the package if it's all checking out fine?

12. RalphNYC

I also bought the bluebook on A-gon and found that the parts sum to 3600 but I know that parting thing out normally fetches more than selling as a whole. And its not clear yet what's in great shape and what's not. It seems that the best course of action is to meet the Linn dealer and pay a couple hundred bucks for his time to look at the table and see if everything is ok.

The 2nd issue is whether to keep the table. There's a lot of sentimental value there, I've had it in my family for about 35 years now! My teenage years were spent listening to Zepp and Bowie and Coltrane and Miles etc etc on this turntable (though I did those upgrades when I got my first "real" job). It's a tough decision....

13. johnscousin

johnscousin Forum Resident

Please don't sell it.

Find someone who knows how to make it sing.

You have a turntable most people on this forum would be happy to own.

best
    jc

14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I agree. I bought a used LP 12 about 20 years ago and think it's really something special. Enjoy what you have.

15. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Checking the bearings is a relatively easy process. You remove the arm from the table, hold it by the base with the headshell pointing down and the base tube parallel to the ground, then lift the headshell and swing it like a pendulum. You should get about 20 swings out of it. Here is a video

The other thing is you mentioned you have a Lingo, but there are a couple of different versions. If the power supply box is only 5 or 6 inches wide (vs about 12 inches) you have the original version which is worth a little less. Just the Lingo and Ekos (assuming is checks out OK) are worth about 2k and pretty easy to sell. If you start adding up parts you're in the 3-3500 range.

16. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Linn was famous for their industry hype in the 70's. I was also taken in and spent money on placebo upgrades, Including the fabled Lingo.

I was never at ease following Ivor's dream and was never really happy with the Linn sound.

One day I heard a modified Lenco and it opened my ears as to what can really be acheived in terms of vinyl performance.

I don't really blame the Ivor/Linn hype machins as it's all business. I'm just sad it took me so long to realise my mistake.

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Please keep it. I would.

18. RalphNYC

I watched the video thanks. And thanks for that pricing info - it agrees with the "blue book" values I saw. This is the Linn, haven't unpacked it yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

It's a beauty... There are regular posters on this forum that would consider human sacrifice to own that TT. Keep it and build a system worthy of it. Even if it takes years.

20. johnscousin

johnscousin Forum Resident

Nate likes this.
  21. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I've long since moved away and sold my LP-12 and Naim gear, but David Wilson and his wife Alma at Accent on Music are awesome. You can demo any combination you choose for as long as you like, take equipment home, the works. Everything you bought he'd bring to your house and install. And 20 years ago (don't know about now), he'd have listening parties with fancy deli sandwiches and quality beer. The very epitome of a sincere and helpful hifi dealer, as well as a real nice guy.

Nate likes this.
  22. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Another HUGE vote of confidence for Dave and Alma. Simply the best. Need I say more?

23. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

+1

The LP 12 in the picture could be updated to a level that would be difficult to beat-- unless one pays a great deal more money- and maybe not even then.:cool:

Long Live Analog likes this.
  24. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I know the LP12 has its detractors. I've happily owned my LP12 for 17 years now and have zero regrets over its purchase. I have an Ekos II arm, Arkiv B cartridge, Lingo (version 2), trampolin, Cirkus and Linn silver cables. The last mod to the table was in 2002. Linn mods these days are very pricey but something like the Keel seems to make sense (albeit for way too many dollars).

If I were buying a TT now, would I buy the Linn? Not sure, the SME sings to me, but the Linn can still throw music wide and deep, with great clarity drive and nuance.

25. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

You will regret it if you sell it. Just save up for the other items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.