Linn Lp12 value question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RalphNYC, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Don't sell. At least listen first. After getting it set up, if needed.

2. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I don't have any desire to put more money into a turntable - that's the last thing I want to spend money on right now. But I did decide not to sell it (for the time being anyway) and set it up and see how it sounds. Haven't heard it in action for a long time and really really looking forward to it! By the way that hifi store sounds like heaven. The listening party idea is awesome.

Alan2 likes this.
  3. johnscousin

johnscousin Forum Resident

Before you decide to crank it up, call Accent on Music and order a vial of bearing oil. Linn sells it in a small vial enough for one fill.
    Just in case it's low. It would be a shame to ruin the bearing on a very nice LP12.
    Out of curiosity what are the first 3 digits of the serial number?

thanks,
    jc

Alan2 likes this.
  4. RalphNYC

First 3 digits are 051... does that date the production? I think my dad bought it somewhere around 1983

5. johnscousin

It does help date the table.
    I purchased mine in late 1984 and it had a 544 number.
    1983 sounds about right for yours.

This thread on the Linn Forum has some good starting info.

jc

6. RalphNYC

Is there a cartridge in the sub-1k price range which anyone would recommend with this set up? I prefer a slightly rolled off high end.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What's wrong with the Arkiv?

8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

An aquaintance of mine who works for a high-end audio store here in L.A. & has been in the bizz forever, is convinced that the LP-12 properly setup compeats/beats any table at any price point.

John likes this.
  9. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Simply a classic. I bought new in 1982 an afromosia Sondek Lp12 with Itok LVII much like this one, now with Akiva (Lyra) cartridge, Cirkus and Trampolin and (large box) Lingo. I think selling this table would be a serious, long term, misstep.

10. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Proper set-up and a proper phonostage would alleviate this interpretation of an outstanding cart, and no, nothing close. Lyra Delos would be 1650USD (today) and a Kleos is 2995USD (today) as an example. Akiva (Lyra) in 2004 retailed for the Kleos price and with Linn, may well have the trade value of the retail price of the Delos (today)... In the day, it outperformed the popular Helikon.

11. RalphNYC

Hopefully nothing, in which case I'll happily use it. But the 2 linn dealers in NYC I've spoken to on the phone both think that it will need to be replaced. I know they are salesman so I hope they're just selling. I would love to use the equipment as is. It's been in storage since about 1999.

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Makes sense to me. He's going to use the Linn to pay for the components he's in need of. If he's not crazy about the ultra hi-fi aspects of it anymore and can sell it to complete a decent rig then why not ?

Ghostworld and TerryB like this.
  13. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I vote keep it. Sentimental value and quality vintage table.

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Keep your Linn and send the Arkiv off to either of the 2 organisations below for repair at minimal cost and maximal sound:
    1. Garrot Brothers http://garrottbrothers.com
    or 2. Soundsmith http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/
    For an outlay of $500 max you will get a phone system without parallel

15. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Keep it. Or send it to me.

16. RalphNYC

I'm keeping the turntable.

Should I first send out the cartridge and then take it and the rest of the turntable to Accent on Music (my best local dealer) for setup, or do you think it's just as good to go straight to Accent on Music and let them take care of everything in one shot?

I plugged in the table today just to make sure the platter spins and it does.... I'm really itching to hear it...

[​IMG]

17. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I'm with Waxfreak here. The OP has wound himself up with a 'table that is overvalued for the rest of his (non-existent) system, admits that he is looking to scale down, but is told that he should keep it and build a "worthy" systems around it even though he admits not wanting to invest too much into the whole process? Not to mention that Linns probably require more maintenance than most 'tables out there today.

I'd say sell it for $3-3.5 k, get yourself a $500-1000 'table (Music Hall mmf-5.1 or similar Pro-ject, or a used 'table from the $1500 bracket), a Yamaha A-500 or similar integrated (in case the bug strikes to play from speakers) or a Parasound P5 preamp, and a decent set of headphones. All this other talk is asking him to invest more and more into chasing the dreams of others on this forum who wish they had this 'table and wish to build a fantasy system for him.

18. RalphNYC

I should clarify, I have a nice amp and preamp with a phono stage specifically for a low output MC cartridge.

I also have headphones (nothing special Audio Technica) and a headphone amp (http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/) which will get me going for now.

All I require at this point are some interconnects to get the sound up and running. And eventually I'll get a pair of used high quality speakers, probably a smaller 2-way design.

I had originally thought I'd sell the Linn and get a 1-1.5k bracket turntable and use the rest for better headphones/headphone amp/speakers/more records.

19. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I am basically in agreement with this....my upgraded LP12 Cirkus/Kore/ Radikal D has not failed to impress all who have heard it.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  20. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Okay then, sorry I missed that. With a setup like that, I'm in the 'keep it' camp.

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

There`s also a very awesome member here Ddarch who restores these and knows them inside out.

22. johnscousin

Wait until you get the table to Accent and let them remove the cartridge. You should never remove or install a cartridge on a Linn tonearm without removing the tonearm first.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

best
    jc

23. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

I will also chime in and recommend going to see David Wilson at Accent on Music. He will tune your table and tell you whether the cartridge is shot or not.

24. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Keep the Linn, forget the rest and enjoy the music...

25. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

yep, keep the Linn, when those players are set up properly they f'ing sing! Got a friend that has one and its very musical...

Long Live Analog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.