Linn Lp12 value question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RalphNYC, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've been talking to David and am planning on brining my turntable to him. I am still confused about the cartridge. Are there levels of being "shot" for the Arkiv, where in some cases I might be able to save it using the Soundsmith services, or is it the kind of thing where if it's gone it's beyond all powers of resurrection?

Long Live Analog likes this.
  2. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

Cartridges tend to degrade slowly barring an accident, like breaking off the stylus or cantilever. David will have a good idea of where yours is on the scale. The Linn cartridges can last quite a while.

Rather than retipping it, I would trade it in towards another Linn cartridge, if you find one you like. Linn offers a fairly generous trade in program. Another thing, cartridges have moved on a bit since the Arkiv so you may find a newer but less exalted cartridge like a Lyra Delos quite competitive in sound.

Again, David should be able to advise you.

I hope you get everything sorted out. You have a great vinyl set-up there.

Tim 2 and Long Live Analog like this.
  3. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I don't know about the Linn cartridge Ralph, but I still use a Supex cartridge which came with the (slightly older than yours) LP 12 I bought 2nd hand 10 years ago. The TT has had Cirkus and motor fitted (again 2nd hand parts) which was checked out and set up by a former Linn dealer which all made a slightly tired Sondek absolutely SING! :D
    (I'm listening to the recent 200g "In The Court Of The Crimson King" on it just now and basking in it!)
    Give it a chance and I'm sure you won't be disappointed; also these decks can be outclassed but rarely for less money. :)

4. RalphNYC

I can't tel you how I'm itching to get this thing spinning. I sent my preamp/phono stage to BWS to have it serviced and I'll try to get over to David's next week.

kendo and Ash76 like this.
  5. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Let us know how you get on, Ralph. what will be the first LP you play? :)

6. RalphNYC

Oh I don't know! Most likely Neil Young and most likely "After the Gold Rush"??

Jbird likes this.
  7. RalphNYC

A nice pair of used Harbeth P3ESR's just came up for sale so I grabbed them. I figured it was a decent opportunity and wouldn't be a bad starting point for me. We'll see how they get along with the LP12 when everything's up and running.

Ntotrar and Don Parkhurst like this.
  8. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I just responded to your speaker thread, but I will say it again... You will love the Harbeths and your best course of action is to let the turntable expert (David) service that terrific table and advise on whether you need a new cartridge or not. When he is done, have him set it up at your house (transporting a fully setup table can be tricky sometimes. He will make sure it's perfect so you don't have to worry).

Then...sit back and enjoy music! And save up for a record cleaning machine. They are as good as people say!

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

When any used product holds it's value it says something.

10. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

RalphNYC,

I have a Thorens TD-150 ( the table the Linn is based on). You have a fantastic table in your hands! Hold on to it DO NOT SELL IT. You can get almost any decent cartridge to sing with a deck of this caliber MM or MC. The purchase on the Harbeths is a fantastic start BTW.

Since I purchased my table the prices on these things has skyrocketed( especially the Linn's). You would get a great pay out if you sold it , but you would never get anything currently in production IMO to match the ability of the Linn LP12. If you want to entertain trading it for a modified Thorens TD-150 you might be able to convince me to do the deal, just sayin'.

SB

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sell, get a Thorens for 1/6th the price and use the rest of the money wisely.

Steve Baker likes this.
  12. RalphNYC

That was sort of the original plan... But I want to hear the Linn for a while before taking another step

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Might as well give it a listen. There are many who say the Linn is great and there are many who name other much less-coveted tables as being as good or better. I haven't heard a Linn and was always interested, but reading around for the last 20 years I'm always coming across posts where someone had one and figured out his Technics, or a Thorens or idler or whatever was better. Who knows? But unless you compare the Linn and your new table side by side, you'll never accurately be able to compare what you lost or gained.

14. johnscousin

johnscousin Forum Resident

He might as well give it a listen.

Good advice chadbang

jc

15. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Thorens' tables are really good, especially when modified. Linn's are superb as well. Kind of a toss up really. IDKW Linn's are so much more coveted than Thorens, I have heard both and feel the Thorens is better for my tastes. Plus when modified they are tough to beat for the price.

SB

16. veejaycollector

veejaycollector Forum Resident

Keep the Linn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't regret it.

17. RalphNYC

Finally got a chance to drive over to David's Accent on Music today. He was a great recommendation! Cartridge is in good shape but the arm bearing needs to be rebuilt - so it's going back to Scotland to the good people at Linn. It might be another month of a wait before I spin some vinyl for the 1st time in 15 years!

whaiyun likes this.
  18. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Great to hear you went to Accent on Music, and great to know David Wilson is still doing his thing.

19. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Keep the Linn!

[​IMG]

Long Live Analog likes this.
  20. RalphNYC

Got my turntable back from Accent today, it took a while for Linn to get my Ekos back to health but all is well now. I was absolutely knocked out how good the table sounds. I didn't A/B it with any digital or anything like. Just had time to listen to one side of Analogue Production's "Ben Webster at the Renaissance". Wet, alive, dynamic, realistic. I've been to a lot of jazz clubs. They were in my living room. Just awesome.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    chacha, TLMusic, DaleH and 1 other person like this.
  21. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Ralph, congrats on getting the LP12 back to health, that's a classic deck and one to keep, send pics when you get the chance.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good stuff. Should see you through to stumps.

23. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Make sure that if you ever change or adjust your cartridge, that the tonearm is removed from the turntable. Torqueing up a cartridge when attached to a turntable isn't good for the arm bearings.

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yes, I always did that with mine.

25. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Tonight my teenage son wanted to listen to some music on his iPod through my stereo so I said sure. After a few songs he said he's got something I would like- Here Comes the Sun. We listened, and then I said how about we now listen to that on an LP. He said ok and I pulled out Abbey Road.

He couldn't believe it- the LP sounded clearer, more dynamic and alive, better soundstage and the vocals were sweeter. I said "what sounded better- LP or digital"

He said he had to admit old school was better.

Score one for an LP 12, Lingo, Ekos II, Arkiv B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.