Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har etc. on local U.S. kids TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marshall, Feb 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

I finally got around to viewing the Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har two DVD Warner Archive set and wrote a review. I watched the Lippy and Hardy cartoons as a young child in 1967-1968 via Oakland's KTVU station. Wally Gator, Touche Turtle, and Lippy and Hardy were a few of the cartoons the station would run during the Captain Satellite (Bob March) kids show, along with the King Features toons (Barney Google and Snuffy Smith, Beetle Bailey, and Krazy Kat) and the Marvel Superheroes episodes (talk about limited animation). Were the Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series episodes (Wally, Touche, and Lippy and Hardy) played during your local kids show host's program in the 196o's and/or 1970's? If so, who was the host of the show and what do you remember about it?

Marshall

My review of the Lippy and Hardy DVD set:
    "Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har: The Complete Series" DVD Review

RickH and Mister Charlie like this.
  2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

They ran on WSBK in Boston during the Willie Whistle Show. I actually hated Willie Whistle and would have reached through the TV to strangle him if I could have (if you ever heard his whistling “voice”, you’d understand).

jtiner likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

WTTV Channel 4 in Bloomington IN had that package when I was growing up as well. They always seemed the "bargain basement" of the HB tv toons. The King Features shorts, as well. Must have been some syndie package deal.

4. Marshall

Could have been. I'm not sure. KTVU Channel 2 in Oakland would also run the King Features Popeye cartoons around that time. I didn't realize, until watching them again now, that The New Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Series shorts (Wally Gator, Touche Turtle, and Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har) were only approximately five minutes per episode.
    52 episodes were made of each.

5. Marshall

No, I never heard of the Willie Whistle Show. Here in California in the 60's, San Francisco had people like Captain Satellite (Bob March), Mayor Art (Finley), and Sgt. Sacto (Mike Cleary); Sacramento had Cap'n Mitch; San Jose-Hocus Pocus (naturally, a clown); L.A. had Hobo Kelly (Sally Baker), Engineer Bill, Sheriff John, Tom Hatten with the Popeye cartoons, and on and on. That doesn't count the shows where the hosts interacted with puppets. Ah, the long ago days of kids TV :) .

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

IIRC those ran on WKBD as a stand alone cartoon show. No host.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  7. Marshall

That's interesting, especially with the cartoons only approximately five minutes each.

8. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

They ran that way in the Portland, OR market as well. (KPTV, channel 12; an independent station)

- Kevin

9. Marshall

Thanks for the info. BTW, I mentioned the kids show hosts. I understand Sally Baker's L.A. (KCOP) based Hobo Kelly show also was broadcast in Portland, too.

10. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

A little something to help you through your rage.... :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  11. Marshall

Thanks for posting this, Michelle. I can understand Kyle B.'s feelings about Willie Whistle now after seeing that video. :) BTW, off topic, but do you think we'll ever see a pared down, less expensive Monkees Complete Series Blu-ray set? I'd still like to eventually get the set, as I still have my Rhino DVD Monkees box sets from the early 2000's.

Marshall

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Yep-- used to watch it all the time.

Was she nationally syndicated?? For some reason, I'm under the impression that her show was only available in a few markets...

- Kevin

13. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

No idea about a new Monkees set. (I ended up caving and bought the Handmade one during the 25%-off sale in late 2018. Haven't thought about the series getting a new release since that time.)

At this stage of the game, seeing the series turn up for purchase digitally, or through a streaming service seems more likely though.

And in an attempt to get this thread back towards the topic at hand, here’s a look at Willie Whistle’s...trouser snake! :laugh:

14. Marshall

Wow, what a video! Thanks for sharing, Michelle. BTW, the voice-over announcer is Mark Thompson, current KGO Radio San Francisco talk show host and former KTTV L.A. and KRON-S.F. weatherman, KFI L.A. radio host, and former announcer for American Idol on Fox.

Thanks for the Monkees info, too.

Marshall

15. My experience exactly! I would never watch these cartoons again -not a lost classic IMO.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

not on local hosted shows. The toons would be on in a half hour block, like Tennessee Tuxedo and King Leonardo

17. Marshall

Thanks Panda for that info, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.