List albums remastered in the 60s or 70s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dachada, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dachada

dachada Senior Member Thread Starter

Not sure how many lps were released with new remastered sound shortly after the original came out during 60s and 70s. For example Grobschnitt Jumbo lp was first released with stamper done by German Phonodisc GmbH but sound the sound was too low and flat. Months later this was remastered with better sound by Christa Brüggemann supervised by Conny Plank and Eroc and released with same artwork and labels. I think other was the LZII lp with RL stamper but the remaster was not as good as the original

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat, released in 1976 and remastered by MFSL in '78.

Shak Cohen and dachada like this.
  3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They recut Zep II because it was too hot for cheap tables to track.

Not the same things as remastering, but The Dead remixed Aoxomoxoa and Anthem. The '72 Remix of Aoxomoxoa became the definitive, but I think Phil's Anthem is a bit of a rarity.

Days of Future Past was also remixed. I believe This Was was, as well.

john lennonist and dachada like this.
  4. dachada

Other that were remixed and remastered: Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other and the first Atomic Rooster album

Platterpus likes this.
  5. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Billy Corgan said he had one of Zeppelin releases that was too hot. What does that mean? sonically it was amazing?

6. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Not an album but Roxy Music's single Pyjamarama was remastered from the multitracks when it was reissued on Polydor in 1977, as the band was unhappy with the original mix which they had rushed out for a tour. The Polydor version has a much clearer mix with more obvious stereo effects, and some of the sax parts towards the end were removed too.

7. irong

irong Forum Resident

Would the Rubber Soul Loud Cut anecdote count as a remaster?

Anyway, I suppose remasters in the 60s-early 70s would generally be done to correct mistakes, not to offer something else to consumers, as both my example and the OP shows. I'd be curious to know what is the first commercial remaster marketed as such.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I don't know the actual answer to that, but after a few Mystic Moods Orchestra albums, this was the first Mobile Fidelity release of a rock album from another label:

MFSL-1-005 - Crime of the Century - Supertramp [1978]

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Cheap tables literally couldn't track it. The needle would skip. One of those records that made kids tape a nickel to their headshell.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, MoFi and Nautilus got their start in the late 70's. Nautilus redid Heart's Dreamboat Annie in 1979.

11. dachada

Ac/Dc - Power Age is other LP with some tracks later remixed and remastered

12. dachada

13. AcidPunk15

makes sense I guess Hi-fi didn't get adequate to the mid-70s to late 70s.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Rock records weren't made for the hifi set, they were made for kids. I pretty much guarantee that an RL cut Zep II would skip on a brand new Crosley table. My crap Criterion plastic thing my parents bought me in the early 80s was so bad I had to put a coin on it to track a tan label pressing of Paranoid.

AcidPunk15, McLover and Fullbug like this.
  15. dachada

I think there are different version of Roxy Music - Manifesto with Angel Eyes remixed

16. dachada

Sweet Thunder label released 11 half-speed albums in 1981

seed_drill likes this.
  17. dachada

18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come "The Lost Ears" 1976 compilation on Gull was remixed by Arthur Brown.

dachada likes this.
  19. dachada

This Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells says Re-Mastered by Ray Janos at CBS Recording Studios, New York, N.Y. on the CBS DisComputer System on the back cover and was done I think in 1981. later CBs put out their Half Speed master lp reissues

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I had to check, but I've got their Journey To The Center of the Earth.

21. dachada

Nautilus I think were mostly cut and pressed by KM Records Inc . KM pressed a lot more half speed lps during early 80s

22. onionmaster

The original pic disc release has the 'rock version' and the standard LP reissue has the 'single (disco) version', but they are actually different recordings, with Ferry's vocal melody differing slightly between both. I have yet to find a copy of the standard LP that has the original mixes, but if someone does have one (from any country) would be good to know. The original LP also had a mix of Dance Away that repeats the chorus less often, replaced by the single mix.

The version in the Complete Studio Recordings does have the original mixes in their correct place and the single versions on one of the bonus discs.

dachada likes this.
  23. AcidPunk15

makes sense I guess. My dad bought a mid-HI-FI setup in 1985 (Born in '55 and he only listened to classical music with it. Rock Music was for kids until all those kids became adults

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Dansette in my avatar from around 1962 tracks everything! Arm isn't heavy either, otherwise my mint Highway To Hell and Specials LPs would be nowhere near it!

25. onionmaster

Update, I have just bought a US Atco copy of Manifesto, I tried it out in the store and it does have the original mixes. It has the track timings on the label, which the UK copy with the later versions does not have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.