List of CD players that can decode pre-emphasis

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Starwanderer, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Every Technics player I have used to the last ones they made have PE decoding.

2. mark7

mark7 Guest

What about Marantz CD6004? Can it decode pre-emphasis?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Is there a reason it wouldn't be able to?

4. mark7

mark7 Guest

Because it's been a long long time since pre-emphasis was last used on a CD I guess?

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Players that don't decode PE are the exception, not the rule.

6. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

i can't understand why any manufacturer would release a CD player that CANT decode pre-emphasis.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with how "redbook", as it pertains to PE, is built into the player's circuitry. HCDC decoding, for example, can be implemented in different ways, but HDCD isn't part of redbook. Is PE addressed in the same extact way for every player? There are so many chips and circuit designs, etc, but I'd think reading the disc for the flag is a no brainer.

8. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I've never investigated exactly how it works, but I do know that de-emphasizing is done after the D/A conversion by running the signal through a simple analog low pass filter to EQ it. I would imagine that it probably works like this: if the CD player detects the pre-emphasis flag, then it will switch the filter on. Otherwise, the filter is off. Not too terribly difficult to design.

The reason it's not in some CD players is probably because:

1. They're trying to cut costs
    2. They figure most people these days don't have CDs with pre-emphasis.
    3. They figure most people who do have CD's with pre-emphasis probably won't even notice the difference if it's not de-emphasized.

9. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

My cd player -yamaha cdx-397 mk2

I tried to play my Genesis cd wind and wuthering UK V/C 4005 cd Sonopress copy (matrix = CDSCD 4005/B-2309 A) that has pre-emphasis,
    it seems that my cd player know how to play it correctly because even with the pre-emphasis the sound is not too bright ,
    I made a copy of the cd on cdr and the cdr sounds much more bright than the original cd.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  10. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

The Chord Hugo DAC can decode preemphasis according to their Production Manager: "Hugo is capable of decoding pre-emphasis in 50/15us format"

Elpampeano likes this.
  11. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Would like to know if my TEAC PDH600 can decode it as a 35DP Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations I have sounds a bit bright to me.

12. Front 242 Addict

You can burn the cd music on cdr,
    if the cdr has brighter sound than the original cd then it seems that your cd player can decode pre-emphasis.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  13. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Just a normal burn? I use CDex and BurnAware Free.

14. Front 242 Addict

I burned the cd to cdr with windows media player and I noticed immediately that the cdr much more brighter, the add of treble to the sound of the cdr is very significant.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It should be noted that you would have to burn to CD-R *without* the pre-emphasis flag set. A correct burn (with flags set) should sound identical to the original.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  16. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I wonder if the 35DP Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations is one of the rare CDs that has pre-emphasis but not TOC flagged (EAC didn't recognise it). How would I rip this type?

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ripping is no different; PE doesn't affect the audio data. You just have to manually add the pre-emphasis flags in the CUE sheet before burning.

18. Front 242 Addict

Windows Media Player (Windows) - recent versions detect pre-emphasis in subcode and apply de-emphasis automatically, but just for playback, not ripping.
    ---------
    • Tunes (Mac OS & Windows) - recent versions detect pre-emphasis in subcode and apply de-emphasis automatically for both playback and ripping.
    • Windows Media Player (Windows) - recent versions detect pre-emphasis in subcode and apply de-emphasis automatically, but just for playback, not ripping.
    • cdda2wav (multi-platform) - a command-line app (part of the cdrtools package) which can be invoked with a -T parameter to apply de-emphasis as it rips; e.g. cdda2wav -D 0,0,0 -B -T (first use cdda2wav -scanbus to figure out the right device values for the -D option).
    Some audio processing software can apply a de-emphasis filter to already-extracted audio (files on disk), producing new files:

• WaveEmph (Windows) - processes one WAV file at a time, and can optionally apply a volume gain at the same time. Note: after unzipping, right-click on the .exe and set Win98 compatibility before running it for the first time.
    • SoX (multi-platform) - a command-line app which can be invoked with a deemph parameter to apply a de-emphasis filter;

• http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis

MC Rag likes this.
  19. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

necro-bump!

I've been thinking about a standalone CD player that handles pre-emphasis since my collection of PE discs seems to be growing.. so to match the rest of my gear, I contacted Cambridge Audio support. The reply I got back was:
    I think I might pick up one of those Onkyo C-7030 players. Does anyone know if certain players have difficulty with either PE flag (either TOC or subcode)?

20. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Wouldn't it be easier to list players that DON'T decode pre-emphasis? It's supposed to be in the spec, so the rare few that don't are obviously an oversight (maybe in some cases an intentional cost-cutting measure).

I know the Oppo BDP-83 does not.

lukpac likes this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The Oppo BDP 80 does, but only via analog out, I tested with New Order's Low-Life (TOC)
    I need to verify the Onkyo c 7030 analog, it does not via optical or coax

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You wouldn't expect a player to apply de-emphasis on the digital output as the PE flag is carried in the SPDIF data, and the outboard DAC would deal with it.

ElevatorSkyMovie, lukpac and c-eling like this.
  23. c-eling

Thank for the verification Elk, Useful information :cheers:

24. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

My Reimyo DAP-777 DAC can decode pre-emphasis.
    A red lamp is lit when a disc has this encoded.

25. c-eling

Ok after spending more time between the Oppo 80 and the Onkyo 7030
    I used Howard Jones Human's Lib this time as the test CD because it's a tough one to decipher as it still sounds pretty bight once de-emphed even with software, (New Order's Low-Life was easily detected),Howard Jones I have one with Pre in the TOC the other press with Pre in the SUB and the standard US (De-Emphed)
    Oppo 80 both Analog out, Both HDMI out
    Onkyo 7030-Both Analog out only
    My DC-1 has active inputs so it was quite easy switching back and forth
    I have re-instated my HDMI em-bedder so I can utilize the DC-1 's DAC

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    hotsoup likes this.