List the next 10 songs that pop up on random on the streaming system or however you listen to music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

FM - Border Crossing

Great second side to the prog instrumental Direct to Disc

Procol Harum - Salad Days

Err... it's alright.

Gentle Giant - Way of Life

Pleading ignorance

Jethro Tull - A New Day Yesterday

It's on freaking Stand Up - classic track

The Smashing Pumpkins - Soma

That solo though!

Curved Air - Two Three Two

Lesser track on a great album

New Order - All The Way

That bass though!

Rush - Circumstances

Love this short Rush piece, great song for sure, no issue here.

The Beatles - Eight Days a Week

I have the entire discography in my foobar, but... well yeah it's a good song, not really into "old" Beatles however.

The Beatles - Please Please Me

You gotta be kidding me... lol.

bvb1123 and Zeki like this.
  2. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

This is from my Pandora mix (it's a station I've customized over the last several years to play pretty much anything---Ozzy Osbourne to Glenn Miller to Bee Gees to Beethoven to Loretta Lynn to Disturbed to the Backstreet Boys.....a little of this and a little of that lol). I never know what's gonna pop up next and that's what I like about it.

So, my station was decidedly in a musical/classic country direction this morning lol:

1. Overture/Going Through the Motions--Buffy the Vampire Slayer "Once More With Feeling"--Loved BTVS and loved this episode....loved that the cast (who mostly had no musical background) were so enthusiastic about doing this lol.
    2. Colors of the Wind--Disney Pocahontas Soundtrack--can't tell you the last time I saw this movie, but just love this song. Beautiful imagery.
    3. Reflections--Disney Mulan Soundtrack---another great Disney song. Always related to it when I was a kid.
    4. Far Away--Nickelback--I have never understood the strong dislike towards Nickelback. Maybe it's because I was a young teen when they came out, but I've always like them. Great song.
    5. Kiss An Angel Good Mornin'--Charley Pride--Love his voice. Classic song.
    6. Walk Through the Fire--Buffy the Vampire Slayer "Once More With Feeling"--see number 1
    7. Let Me Be There--Tanya Tucker--good song. not one I'm as familiar with, but good nonetheless.
    8. Good Hearted Woman (Live)--Merle Haggard & Willie Nelson--these kind of songs always remind me of my late grandfather. He loved classic country, and was a HUGE Merle Haggard fan.
    9. I'm On Fire--Town Mountain--kind of a bluegrass/Americana song....certainly not mainstream. I love this kind of music because it's quality and usually overlooked in favor of what passes for "country" music today. I believe this is a Bruce Springsteen cover (whom I'm not normally a fan of), but like I said, I love this style of music.
    10. And It Stoned Me--Van Morrison--not a huge Van Morrison fan, but I can take or leave this song.

Andy Smith, bvb1123 and Zeki like this.
  3. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

From my USB I have in my car on the drive to work this morning:

1. Duck and Run--3 Doors Down--from 3DD debut album. great song. great lyrics.
    2. High--James Blunt--love the soaring vocals on this song. lovely lyrics.
    3. Friday Night--Timothy B. Schmit--one of the songs the Eagles rejected for the Long Road Out of Eden album. Fantastic song. Personable lyrics. Catchy melody. A song you can really tap your foot to.
    4. Shades of Gray--The Monkees--a hauntingly beautiful song. lyrics that really make you think. lovely vocals by Davy and Peter.
    5. Gone--Red--from Red's latest album. more "electronic" than their previous work but a decent song.
    6. Bright Lights (Live)--Gary Clark Jr.--from one of my favorite live albums. my only complaint is that when GC sings the chorus he seems to be off tempo from the instruments. fantastic playing otherwise.
    7. [I Prithee] Do Not Ask For Love (Davy vocal)--The Monkees--lovely little song. I know there were several lead vocal versions (with Micky and Peter singing lead on other versions). I much prefer Davy's vocal lead on this song. Maybe it's the accent or the delivery, but to my ears this song fits Davy's voice better.
    8. Your Star--All-American Rejects--loved this song (and this album) when I was a young teen. great pop rock. Tyson Ritter has a great voice.
    9. Keep On Tryin'(Live)--Poco--from the previously shelved 1978 Poco live album. I LOVE this song. The live version is simply a guitar and three vocal parts. Just beautiful.
    10. I Want It That Way--Backstreet Boys--a guilty pleasure. This was THE song the summer it was released (at least for young teens lol). I admit I bought the album when it originally came out (just have their greatest hits now). A perfect pop song.
    11. (bonus) Valleri--The Monkees--I added this one because it took me 11 songs to get from my house to work, and it seemed a shame to leave it off. This is the 1968 version with the horns. Love this song. Davy sounds great in it. Very catchy.

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The first ten in my favorites mix that Apple randomly picked for me:
    1) The Decemberists "Severed"; this is the first single from this year's album release. I've got this album in the running for the top spot in 2018 (though don't think it'll pull it off.)

2) Son Little "Bread and Butter". Just discovered this guy last year, probably through one of the Apple playlists. Fantastic.

3) Jay Farrar and Ben Gibbard "San Francisco", from the Jack Kerouac movie soundtrack (One Fast Move Or I'm Gone); "great magical city of the Gandharvas, San Francisco "

4) Old 97's "Good With God"; with Brandi Carlile. From 2017's co-album of the year. Apple's making me happy with this list.

5) Son Volt "Drown". See my avatar. Of course, I'm pleased.

6) Anders Parker "The Road" from There's a Bluebird in my Heart. Nice.

7) Ringo Starr "You're Sixteen ". Hmm, that came outta nowhere!

8) Will Quinlan and The Diviners "Remember the Beatitudes"; wonderful. From 2008's Navasota.

9) Whiskeytown "Somebody Remembers the Rose"; Strangers Almanac.

10) Wilco "Myrna Lee"; John Stirrat brought this from his prior band. Plunked onto the deluxe release of A.M. I prefer Blue Mountain's version (with Stirrat's old mates), but a nice song.

bvb1123 and Parachute Woman like this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I put together a playlist for my high school 40th class reunion which included Abba. I still have the playlist on my phone. Apple must think I'm a big fan because I've listened to more Abba over the past two years than I had in the prior 40! All because Apple keeps putting it on "my favorites" playlists.

Mark B. likes this.
  6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I couldn't get totally random, because I only ever play full albums or playlists of my own creation in Spotify. I don't use the playlists they make or the daily mixes. I curate my own listening. Here's the first ten that came on shuffle from my November 2018 playlist (comprised just of stuff I've been digging this month--206 songs on it right now).

1. "Alone + Easy Target" by Foo Fighters
    I really like their first two albums. This is from the 1995 debut album, a very solid hard rock collection. It has a lot more personality than their blander later releases.

2. "The Showman" by U2
    From last year's Songs of Experience. Very melodic. One of the best songs on that album, which I liked overall.

3. "Fleurette Africaine" by Norah Jones
    Her album Day Breaks from 2016 is absolutely wonderful. I think it's the best thing she's released. This is a stunning, moody version of Duke Ellington piece, featuring some fab soprano sax from Wayne Shorter.

4. "Rock and Roll (Live, Song Remains the Same version)" by Led Zeppelin
    I'm just getting into The Song Remains the Same. I'm enjoying it and this is a very muscular version of this song.

5. "You're a Big Girl Now- Take 2" by Bob Dylan (from new More Blood, More Tracks box)
    Beautiful and vulnerable. 'You're a Big Girl Now' is actually my favorite song on Blood on the Tracks and this version may even trump the original!

6. "Wonder" by Natalie Merchant
    Just a mid '90s classic. Tigerlily and Ophelia are both great albums, but I find the rest of her catalog kind of snoozy.

7. "Career of Evil" by Blue Oyster Cult
    I have been trying to fall in love with this band for a few months, but it isn't happening outside of a few songs. I do like this one a lot and it inspired J.K. Rowling, so I give it a thumbs up.

8. "Love Comes to Everyone" by George Harrison
    Maybe my favorite solo George song. It fills me up with sunshine.

9. "Deadbeat Club" by the B-52's
    A favorite song from my childhood. My mom had a copy of Cosmic Thing and I played it to death. What beautiful harmonies. This one and 'Topaz.'

10. "Eye of the Needle" by Sia
    I love Sia's 2014 highly emotional album 1000 Forms of Fear. Great track.

bvb1123, SixOClockBoos and Zeki like this.
  7. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

From this morning's Pandora shuffle.

1. Elton John - Tiny Dancer
    This has become a bit overplayed since the bus scene in "Almost Famous" (which I still think is great), but it's classic Elton at the top of his game, so I'm always glad when it pops-up.

2. David Crowder*Band - How He Loves Us
    Great song. Wonderful use of dynamics, great fun to play as well.

3. Robin Trower - Further On Up The Road
    While I like this version, I still prefer Clapton's as my go to.

4. Passion - One Thing Remains
    I'm not as familiar with this band as I am with other Praise & Worship releases. Good song.

5. The Temptations - Ball of Confusion
    For me, the Temptations' "psychedelic" phase is the most interesting. This still sounds great and is quite relevant today.

6. Genesis - In Too Deep
    Not my favorite era of Genesis, but a strong song that sounded great on the radio when released.

7. King Crimson - Starless
    "Red" is my favorite Wetton-era KC album, and this was its' cornerstone. Astounding stuff.

8. Led Zeppelin - Ramble On
    For me, one of the greatest bass lines ever. This one never, ever gets old.

9. Andrew Gold - Lonely Boy
    While an excellent song, it's sad that this and "Thank You For Being A Friend" are the only songs he's generally known for. All of his albums (especially the S/T debut) were full of great songs, and his musicianship was masterful (just listen to Ronstadt's "You're No Good" for proof of how well he could play).

10. Edgar Winter - Eye On You
    I can't say I'm familiar with this at all. It's from the soundtrack to "Beneath The Darkness", a film I have no knowledge of as well. Anyway, it's a medium tempo rocker, and Edgar distinctive vocals are in good form. Decent guitar solo as well. I may have to research who was playing on this.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I switched to my I-pod yesterday and here's the last ten played (on shuffle):

1) The Beatles "Because" from Abbey Road

2) The Decemberists "The Bagman's Gambit", from Picaresque. I found myself drawn into this oh-so-well crafted song.

3) Son Volt "Ten Second News". Trace, of course. I wonder why Son Volt keeps popping up on my lists?

4) Ryan Adams "Nobody Girl" from Gold. A wonderful song from a five-star album.

5) Olive "Country Road". No, not the John Denver song. A sweet pop ballad by a Japanese duo.

6) Grateful Dead "Brokedown Palace from American Beauty

7) Drive-By Truckers "A Ghost to Most" off of Brighter Than Creation's Dark. A Mike Cooley song with a lot of pedal steel. "Talking tough is easy when it's other people's evil"

8) John Mayall's Blues Breakers "Hide Away". About as basic Blues as you can find.

9) New Multitudes "Angel's Blues". Words by Woody Guthrie music by Anders Parker. Parker's contributions to this album are all home runs.

10) Rickie Lee Jones "Falling Up" off of The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard". Superb song.

bvb1123 likes this.
  9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

The majority of my listening is done on the car journey to work and back, or on my walks with the dogs. I am a huge fan of 'shuffle' and unless I've bought something new to play, it's on shuffle most times. Just turned it off this evening after downloading a set that Cate Le Bon did the other night for Marc Riley's 6 Music show. I don't normally sneak a peak at what's coming up. I like the surprise element. But for the sake of this thread, these are the first ten on tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be a Bowie day... Some days just are. That's what I love about the random element. No Bowie's been on for about 4 or 5 days, then all this. Weird.

Oh, and 'The Filth And The Fury' is a marvellous ad that the NME ran on the radio back in '77 about the Punk phenomenon. Only 10 seconds or so, but really encapsulates those heady days. Oh to be 19 again! (but only to relive the marvellous acts in their prime).

[​IMG]

Zeki and bvb1123 like this.
  10. Andy Smith

Really enjoyed the musical Buffy episode. I know it wasn't universally liked, but it was done well and made all of us (parents & children in one room - remember that happening?) watching it grin.

Hadean75 likes this.
  11. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

Rainbow - Will You Love Me Tomorrow
    The Yardbirds - Little Games (Live At Konserthuset, Stockholm - 04/04/1967)
    Joe Jackson - Kinda Kute
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Spike
    Nazz - Open My Eyes
    The Byrds - Byrdgrass
    Eric Clapton - Blues Power
    The Dave Clark Five - When
    The Bobbettes - Mr. Lee
    Eric Clapton - Knockin' On Heaven's Door

12. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

Elton John - Reverie
    Freddie Mercury - Time
    Ringo Starr - No-No Song
    Spanky & Our Gang - Stardust
    The Starting Line - What You Want
    Ringo Starr - Only You
    John Lennon - Look At Me
    Ringo Starr - Rock Island Line
    Ringo Starr - In A Heart Beat
    Paul McCartney - Shake A Hand

bvb1123 likes this.
  13. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

My first ten on random today were...

Curve - Coast Is Clear
    The Beatles - Helter Skelter (Take 17)
    David Bowie - Queen Bitch
    Wolf Alice - Your Loves Whore
    New Order - Round & Round (12")
    The Jesus & Mary Chain - Good For My Soul
    The Jam - Ghosts
    Doves - One Of These Days
    David Bowie - Stay (Live version from Stage)
    Electronic - Late At Night

Zeki, bvb1123 and Pop_Zeus like this.
  14. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

From my Pandora Shuffle this morning:

Pet Shop Boys - I'm Not Scared
    Hall & Oates - One On One (remix)
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - Change It
    Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned
    Jethro Tull - War Child
    Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
    Genesis - Follow You, Follow Me
    Alphaville - Forever Young
    From "Hamilton" - Take A Break
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Ballad of Blue

Hadean75, Zeki and bvb1123 like this.
  15. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

1. The Monkees - "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" Great slice of 60s beat group pop/rock. Love this song.
    2. The Kinks - "Here Come The People In Gray" A Superb track from their masterpiece, Muswell Hillbillies
    3. The Monkees - The Monkees again! Just goes to show how many Monkees' songs are on my playlist! This is an excellent song, one of the best from the Good Times' sessions. No way should this have been a bonus track. Should have been a centerpiece of the album.
    4. John Fogerty - "Sail Away" One of his most beautiful and poignant songs that was unfortunately buried on the mediocre album Eye Of The Zombie.
    5. The Action - "Love Is All" Hard to believe this is just a demo and harder to believe it took almost 20 years to see an official release. Shame on you, recording industry!
    6. The Fendermen - "Mule Skinner Blues" Just a terrific country/rockabilly song that I thoroughly enjoy. Great tune.
    7. Pearl Jam - "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town" Killer song but a crappy title. Perhaps PJ are to blame for all the exceedingly long song titles of the 2000s. Still, awesome song.
    8. Book Of Love - "Pretty Boys And Pretty Girls" Techno-lite from back in my clubbing days. Terrific song, wonderful melody and chorus.
    9. The Glands - "Livin' Was Easy" I know nothing about this group or song. Chances are I stumbled across them in a Spotify playlist they made for me and liked it so I added it to my main playlist. Sounds a lot like Pavement to me.
    10. The Flying Burrito Brothers - "Close Up The Honky Tonks" Nice way to close out the ten with a great Burrito Brothers song. I'm always in the mood for some Burrito Brothers. Great version of this

Hadean75, maui jim and Zeki like this.
  16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Nice thread, but I never do random, unless radio counts, in which case I'll be glad to provide a list:targettiphat:

bvb1123 likes this.
  17. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

Sure, radio can count. Play along!

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Old 97's: Good With God
    Paul McCartney: Calico Skies
    Ryan Adams: Prisoner
    Anders Parker: High Flying Bird
    Wilco: Myrna Lee
    Ryan Adams & Cardinals: Cobwebs
    Yes: Roundabout
    Eddie Money: Take Me Home Tonight
    Joni Mitchell: In France They Kiss on Main Street
    Grand Funk: Flight of the Phoenix

bvb1123 likes this.
  19. The Pinhead

I listen to a classics radio only, so excuse if this seem like a departure from my usual posting, or looks like a stark contrast with my avatar, but I do have an AOR side to my tastes in music, so :

Genesis-Ilegal Alien - absolute fav amongst Genesis song; never fails to make me tap my feet.

APProject-Pyramania Gotta love this song; it was my first record ever !!

Anita Ward- Ring My Bell - I usually dislike disco but this song won my hard; dunno why.

The Tramps- Disco Inferno- same as above

Lynyrd Skynyrd-Sweet Home Alabama- absolute fav southern rocker; the 3-axe attack plus the catchy chorus is unsurpassable. Can't get enough of it

Rolling Stones-Emotional Rescue -not a Stones fans but some songs are so ace....this slow-paced piece is so good and full of energy somehow.

The Kinks-You really Got Me- so anthemic and catchy I doubt someone will be able to write something better....ever !

Creedence-Bad Moon Rising- Sends chills down my spine....every time. Say no more

Lou Reed- Sattelite Of Love- Incredibly sneery lyrics and a rhythmic cadence I succumb to every time. A corker.

Cake-I Will Survive- one of those cover versions that manages to pulverize the original (IMHO, that is; I don't wanna sound heretic, esp when I don't know who sang it originally)

Elvis vs JXL- A Little Less Conversation-same as above

maui jim and bvb1123 like this.
  20. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

There's a free preview of SiriusXM radio going on right now till June 5th. Not the biggest fan of their streaming genre channels but can't get enough of Tom Petty's "Buried Treasure" and Mojo Nixon's Outlaw Country broadcasts...

Wrote down the last 10 tracks I heard on Mojo Nixon's "The Loon in the Afternoon" broadcast from 5/17/19... a few tunes may be a little too Country for my tastes but they also played some Drivin' n' Cryin' and John Hiatt earlier and CCR's Fortunate Son as I'm writing this so it's keeping my attention.

Emmlou Harris / Rodney Crowell - Bring it on Home to Memphis
    Sonny Burgess - Tiger Rose
    Lucinda Williams - Protection
    Son Volt - Back Against the Wall
    Hank 3 - The Bottle Let Me Down
    Loretta Lynn - Fist City
    Tedeschi Trucks Band - Hard Case
    Mastersons - Transient Lullaby
    Ray Wylie Hubbard - Stone Blind Horses
    Kris Kristofferson - Casey's Last Ride

Zeki, maui jim and bvb1123 like this.
  21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Wow that is one weird radio station selection. From disco into southern rock! All in the 70s I guess.

22. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Pandora Shuffle this PM:
    Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (1995 "2nd Set" version)
    Steely Dan - Razor Boy
    Newsboys - We Believe
    Elton John - Daniel (live)
    Lyle Lovett - Straighten Up and Fly Right
    Hall & Oates - She's Gone
    Jackson Browne - Don't You Want to Be There
    Depeche Mode - Judas
    Rory Gallagher - Lost At Sea
    David Crowder*Band - Open Skies

23. The Pinhead

FM 102.3 Aspen Radio. Indeed a very ecclectic station, centered on 70s and 80s mainly. Believe it or not, some southern rock anthems are sung at most campfires down here.

maui jim likes this.
  24. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Listened to a bit to WRSI's "Funky Friday" broadcast on the way home:

I Can't Help But Love You - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    Take Yo' Praise - Camille Yarbrough
    I'll Take You There - The Staple Singers
    Yes We Can-Can - Mel & Tim
    You're Gonna Be Sorry (I've Got A Feeling) - Billy Butler
    Broadway Freeze - Harvey Scales & 7 Sounds
    Mag Poo - Maceo & All The King's Men
    Somebody's Been Sleeping (In My Bed) - 100 Proof Aged In Soul
    Nobody But You - William Bell
    Troglodyte (Cave Man) - The Jimmy Castor Bunch

Not exactly my wheelhouse but who doesn't like some R&B / Soul every now and then. Totally forgot about Broadway Freeze and Maceo Parker is always welcome...

25. Andy Smith

A fairly eclectic first ten coming up after breakfast this fine morning. First track is very apt.

[​IMG]

LandHorses, Zeki and bvb1123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.