Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My first exposure was probably via my father who enjoyed listening to orchestral music, particularly Russian music I think although he enjoyed Brahms as well. One of his favourites was Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. A few years ago, I had the good fortune to see the ballet in St. Petersburg, Russia, and had tears in my eyes remembering him.
    In grade school, I had the same teacher in Grades 6 and 8 who, once a week, had a Music Appreciation class. We would listen to a few selections from mostly what he called "light classical music", note them down and illustrate our thoughts in a notebook. At the end of the year there would be a contest as to who could identify a piece of music the quickest. (Ahem) I won both years and the prize was a classical recording of your choice. The first year I chose Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, but by grade 8, completely besotted by the Beatles, I picked Ravi Shankar (remember, it had to be claasical).
    I sort of ignored classical music for the next few decades, save for stuff like the movie Amadeus, but when then CDs appeared, I started collecting and listening to classical music again, as the noise-free backgrounds really enhanced the wide dynamic range.
    I should also mention my younger brother who really pursued musical studies and played a lot of classical music in the house as another influence.
    So now I listen and am familiar with a lot of classical music. I recently bought a new piano and am playing music again (it is a thrill to play Beethoven's Fur Elise).
    I still listen to all sorts of music including rock'n'roll and jazz, but classical is something special to me.

Gardo, DeepFloyd11, SteelyTom and 5 others like this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

5-String and bluemooze like this.
  3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

In high school in the 70s, I mainly listed to 60s and 70s light rock, British Invasion and what I've seen dubbed Yacht Rock on the forum. That and top 40 was pretty much all I was exposed to.

When I went away to college in the late 70s, my exposure to music became much wider and I started exploring. I basically got into classical shortly after getting into prog rock. At first, it was mostly the orchestral blockbusters and low priced labels. When I dropped out of college, I had pretty much out grown the soft rock. The only interesting radio station I could pick up where I lived was a classical station so I started listening to it a lot. What really expanded my tastes beyond orchestral music was buying Paul Jacob's Debussy: Image et Estampes on a whim, I liked the cover. I'm not even sure if I knew who Debussy was at the time. The album blew me away and really what got me heavily into classical music. Half of my purchases and listening ever since has been classical music.

DeepFloyd11, Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought so to. I was especially impressed by the piano concerto and Prometheus. :targettiphat:

5. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

6. bluemooze

:edthumbs::edthumbs:

7. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 4 from "Martha Argerich Collection - Concertos" performed by Martha Argerich on DG.

Liszt - Piano Concerto 1 with the London Symphony Orchestra led by Claudio Abbado
    Prokofiev - Piano Concerto 3 with the Berliner Philharmoniker led by Claudio Abbado
    Ravel - Concerto in G Major with the Berliner Philharmoniker led by Claudio Abbado

[​IMG]

8. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

My most recent classical addiction

bluemooze and Steve G like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Recorded in Kingsway Hall, Jan. & Mar. 1952. Producer: John Culshaw. Engineer: Kenneth Wilkinson. The 2-LP set was issued on London in July 1952, the month after I was born. This highlights LP wasn't issued until 1957.

10. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

My youngest daughter is named for this opera. Her name is Mignon and her nickname is Lulu.

gpg6212 and bluemooze like this.
  11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have this original London LP edition from 1972, although it includes the "Poem of Fire" instead of the "Poem of Ecstasy." Very fine performance (and music)!

[​IMG]

12. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

I have one that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Donniej, Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 27 from the Marriner Argo Years box. Another ASV release.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jbg, DeepFloyd11, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Yours was released 5/61. Recorded in the Concertgebouw, 2/22-23/61. Producer: Ray Minshull. Engineer: Kenneth Wilkinson. In this case they seem only to have recorded excerpts, not the whole ballet.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  15. bluemooze

That is a beautiful thing. :righton:

David Ellis likes this.
  16. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I have the vinyl and very fine it is too ...
    [​IMG]
    Personally I wouldn't want to go for the 50cd set - I really like to pick and choose individual performances of certain works.
    For me, Ashkenazy is sublime with Rach and Scriabin but wouldn't be an automatic first choice elsewhere as has been suggested.

Eigenvector likes this.
  17. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I have found my two Penguin Guides absolutely indispensable for sourcing vinyl recommendations - they are just so reliable ...
    I'm not interested in paying silly money for the earliest releases and am also not interested much in digital recordings so I always find recordings from the 60's and 70's that suit me.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. bluemooze

Thanks for helping me out. :targettiphat:

19. bluemooze

Now listening to "The Second Circle - Love Songs of Francesco Landini" by Anonymous 4 on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]

5-String likes this.
  20. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I'm *really* looking forward to March 12.

Taking my son to see Janine Jansen tackle the Brahms at London's Barbican Centre. I managed to get a couple of the very last tickets available!
    He's a talented violinist (and pianist) so am hoping that he enjoys it and learns something about the art of performance and musicality - difficult for an 11 year old to learn.

I think he should really enjoy 'Also sprach zarathustra' which is the evening's other entertainment - best served loud! :righton:

21. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

22. bluemooze

Wow! Your son is a lucky kid. :)

julesd68 likes this.
  23. bluemooze

24. bluemooze

Working my way through the Furtwangler box. Never heard any of it before.

First listen to CD 11 from Box 1 from "Furtwangler - The Legacy" on Membran.

Von Weber - Der Freischutz (The Marksman) performed by the Chor der Wiener Staatsoper and the Wiener Philharmoniker.

CAST (from Amazon):
    Max - Hans Hopf (tenor)
    Kaspar - Kurt Boehme (bass)
    Agathe - Elisabeth Gruemmer (soprano)
    Aennchen - Rita Streich (soprano)
    Samiel - Claus Clausen (speaker)
    Ottokar - Alfred Poel (baritone)
    Kuno - Oskar Czerwenka (bass)
    Hermit - Otto Edelmann (bass)
    Kilian - Karl Doench (baritone)

[​IMG]

SteelyTom and 5-String like this.