Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

Just got this for the the Brahms, but pleasantly surprised by the Mozart.

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Rachmaninov collection ...

[​IMG]

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Spotify, "Le Mystere De "Malheur Me Bat"" performed by the Huelgas Ensemble led by Paul Van Nevel on DHM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  4. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  5. bluemooze

Now listening to "Ives - Four Sonatas" performed by Hilary Hahn and Valentina Lisitsa on DG.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  6. bluemooze

Bought this when it first came out. Have tried to like it. Literally can't stand it - just notes in a scale with no rhyme, reason, merit, beauty or musicality. Hardly any music makes me feel like this. Amazing. :)

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

8. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I've struggled with Ives' sonatas period! For some reason, I keep revisiting them hoping to find something there but have so far not been able to. I do like his first two symphonies and the fourth has it's moments. Maybe it's time to give up.... :sigh:

bluemooze likes this.
  9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I don't think "not liking" is the same as "dismissing." A dismissive attitude is one that suggests the thing in question is not even worthy of attention or acknowledgment. One can express a personal dislike in a respectful way, without being dismissive.

HenryFly, Runicen and crispi like this.
  10. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Just saw this after I posted the previous comment. I think maybe the issue is linguistic--non-native speakers may not understand the very negative connotation "dismiss" has in these contexts. It is not in any way equivalent to a simple expression of dislike--it suggests a very specific attitude of condescension.

Runicen and bluemooze like this.
  11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Opus 111 French Press OPS 30-336) 1999 ....recorded June 1990 @ Salle Adyar Paris France .... was lucky enough to witness Sokolov in performance with the Chopin Preludes and this CD serves as glorious reminder .... impressive piano mapping ....

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

My birthday soon, so treated myself to this :

[​IMG]

plus the Cd's to go with it.

As a non-academic non talented/performing simpleton, I always fancied buying it and really broadening my knowledge.

Any comments from forumites whether I have done the right thing, or am I stark raving barmy ? :D

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I know very little about the book besides being aware of its existence, I don't see how owning that could be a bad thing.

Wugged likes this.
  14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

ibanez, it was a bit pricey, about $90 for the lot, so it could be a bad thing if it's not so good and a waste of money ! :) I don't think it is, but if any forumites have experience of this book, I would appreciate their feedback :)

15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Sound-the Analogue Years box. The bonus material is Capriccio Espagnol by Rimsky-Korsakov, which seems strange.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  16. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Brahms collection ...

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

Is it a 900-page book?

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to the 6th and final volume of Bavouzet's Haydn Keyboard Sonatas series. Interesting and idiosyncratic approach that is marred by his playing in some of the louder passages; he is hammering the piano there and it makes parts of his set almost unlistenable. What a pity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  19. coopmv

@Wugged, Years ago, I bought a few of the following books that specialized in specific composers and I have the following

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the New Grove Italian Baroque Masters, which may no longer be in print since I cannot find it on Amazon ...

bluemooze likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There were several more and they've been OOP for years now. These are the ones I have:
    - Handel
    - Haydn
    - Mozart
    - Beethoven
    - Schubert
    - Early Romantic Masters 1 + 2
    - Late Romantic Masters
    - Turn of the Century Masters
    - Russian Masters 1 + 2
    - Twentieth-Century French Masters
    There were also volumes about Baroque and other eras, but I never got those.

21. coopmv

The original books probably cost me no more than $10 - 12 USD each ...

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thrilling performances and superb sound.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  23. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Not familiar with the music, but it is one of my all-time favorite paintings.

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'd be willing to bet that the number of people who could tell you aren't a native English speaker from your posts would be very small, if not zero.

bluemooze and fluffskul like this.
  25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

OK, so I haven't posted in a while, but now that I'm on summer break, I'll be hanging around a lot. To start things off, here's a weird one...bought it today for $1, it's a brown label Columbia, and it's a stereo record, though on the front cover it has an oval in the top left that says STEREO MS 6629 inside, but underneath it, on top of the eye logo, it says MONO ML 6029. And there is no back cover on the jacket, it's like one never got glued on (it hasn't been ripped off, the back is pristine). Deadwax marks: Side 1 XXSM 77422 IT, Side 2 XXSM 77423 - 1AG IT, and they are stamped so they look right side up from the spindle hole out to the edge, which to me seems weird. Don't know if I've got some kind of strange promo or orphan misprint LP...it sounds great. Anyone that can shed light, please do so![​IMG]

Wes H, Thomas R, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.